Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Missing Iowa Girls

Keel M.

I want to point out that the sighting doesn't sound like Carpenter's sighting because Carpenter had said he'd seen the girls between 12:00 and 3:00pm... and he lives on Lake Avenue and said he was watering his lawn at the time.

Now, if he lives on or near the corner of Lake Ave., I guess it's possible that he could have seen them from a distance...you know, not necessarily riding past his FRONT yard, although that's what he seemed to indicate, but he also couldn't narrow the time-frame.

I studied the area again on google maps, and noticed a skate park located on Gilbert, 2 streets east of Lake Ave.

I've never heard any suggestion that the girls could have been going there, or any expressed knowledge that the girls had gone there before.

Carpenter had said that the girls would "ride past" and "turn around". I wonder if the girls had been going to the skatepark those times and turned around because friends weren't there...something like that.

I've said it before, but because of Carpenter's statement that the girls often rode by that area, then authorities need to find out why.

It's odd that the parents weren't aware of any attraction the girls had to that area.

There is no new news on this at all

Yeah, that article I linked was dated 9-14...

I've thought about it, and either way I look at it, I just don't get it.

If it was Carpenter's sighting they're referring to in the article- which wasn't officially acknowledged before, then why are they now recognizing it?

And if it's a different sighting and considered to be credible, then why didn't they report it at the time it was learned?

The thing for me is that they can say two things...they can say " 'A' is the last known, or definite sighting, and 'B' is the last reported, or possible sighting", and I don't know why they didn't, or why they'd withhold that info.

I'm not saying that I think it would have made a difference, I'm just trying to make the point that I think that would have been a better way to handle such information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It has been confirmed now, the bodies found were the cousins.

The bodies were found in a small county park, about 20 miles north of where they were taken.

I hope they find the SOB responsible.

As sad as this is at least their families can bury them before Christmas - at least they know they are at rest. I agree that whoever did this needs to be punished to the fullest extent. What kind of human kills children?

• Like 2

It has been confirmed now, the bodies found were the cousins.

The bodies were found in a small county park, about 20 miles north of where they were taken.

I hope they find the SOB responsible.

20 miles north...I haven't seen a distance reported, but that the direction was northeast.

All this time later and then subjected to the elements of the environment (the ME should be able to determine how long the bodies were there) diminishes evidence, but there's still hope the scene will offer some clue(s) about who's responsible. I certainly hope it does because it doesn't sound like authorities have had anything to go on to date as far as a suspect. I don't know if there's even been a POI.

You know, unless it was someone visiting, or a transient, in a town of that population, it must be someone no one would suspect.

I'm looking forward to what the ME can determine, and what info is gathered from the discovery site.

Yeah, you're right, that park is definately north-east. I've never been to this park, but I've passed the signs to it many times, so I know roughly where it is. I think the Wapsipinicon river (we just call it the Wapsi) runs right through or by there. I'm pretty familar with the Wapsi and the woods north of that area, so I'm assuming the area is similar (lots of trees, prone to flooding, etc).

I too am hoping for some solid evidence.

It's made me think that the person (or persons) that did this are local, or at least very familar with the area. That park isn't widely known, other than to locals.

It's made me think that the person (or persons) that did this are local, or at least very familar with the area. That park isn't widely known, other than to locals.

You once said this was occurring in your backyard...well, it looks like you have a child murderer in your backyard.

I studied the area on google maps and noticed that Seven Bridges is the northernmost of the several parks located along the Wispi.

Do you happen know why some of the parks are called "access county" and others simply "county" ?

The most obvious thing about Seven Bridges is that it's the furthest...and most secluded of all the others.

I agree with you; I think the perp had to know about that park.

Edited by regi
  • Like 1

Sick as it sounds, I'm hoping that it still has something to do with the father of Lyric, and his drug issues. Not that it makes it any better for those little girls, but the prospect of a complete stranger doing this is more troublesome to me.

Not sure why the differences in 'access county' or 'county' are. I'm just guessing that it has to do with which vehicles are allowed. Maybe the 'access county' meants only county workers/Department of Natural Resources type folks can use those roads...ie not the general public.

Yeah, that re: "access", it must be something along those lines....maybe it indicates there's vehicle access to the river.

Re: something to do with the father's drug issues, do you mean you'd rather that be the scenario because of a possible motive?

I just can't shake the sadness over this atrocity. These children must have been terrified before they died at the hands of this person - whoever it was. I believe they are at rest now though.... so much evil in the world that seems to seek out the most innocent.

I just heard something very unsettling on Jane Valez Mirchell's HLN program. A reporter for the network on the scene quoted some inside information (local LE?), which, if reliable, offers a reason the police are so sure the bodies are the missing cousins, aside from the fact the cadavers are of children around the sizes of the missing girls. The "inside" info quoted was that LE thinks the bodies haven't been there since the girls disappeared--meaning the girls may have been kept alive somewhere for an extended period (possibly until recently?), or another possibility is the bodies were stored somewhere that would retard or prevent decomposition. Why does anyone think that? Well, this reporter indicated the reason LE is so confidant of the IDs of the bodies could be the bodies were not so decomposed that they weren't recognizable--IOW, the bodies were preserved enough to be confidently IDd on sight--that they are recognizable. Wow, what a horrible thought. I have no idea how reliable the source is. The report giving the story made it sound kind of sketchy. Did any of you hear this report, or see it somewhere. The thought that these young children might have been held captive until possibly recently is chilling...and horrifying to imagine. I think I'd rather believe the story turns out to be totally unfounded.

I know there's a lot of speculation about Lyric's father, the druggie. I don't know...I certainly see why people would suspect him. But something tells me it doesn't involve him. Why would a druggie kill his own daughter AND her cousin? And if it was a dealer or some other drug connection, what would they get out of kidnapping...and murdering...these two girls? It kind of doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

Hi, Aaronsmom. I agree re: the father, and if anyone was trying to prevent the father from plea bargaining, then I think it would have been the father missing and then later found in the woods.

After abducting the children, the father would have even more reason to point the finger.

How about that speculation re: the quick ID?

I also saw the JVM program, and you're right to question the reliability. I keep in mind that that's coming from "police sources", and was not released at the PC this afternoon.

I don't think it's reliable at this point, but you know, even if the ME confirms it, authorities might not release it because they said at the PC that there was info from the scene that only the killer would know and for that reason, they wouldn't release it.

I was thinking it was a combination of circumstances which led to the quick ID.

I mean, two small frames, female clothing- clothing probably ID'ed- 25 miles from abduction site...

Yes, it's chilling and horrifying to contemplate that the girls could have been kept alive for anywhere near this length of time, but they also speculate that they could have been kept somewhere to prevent decomposition.

• Like 1

Re: something to do with the father's drug issues, do you mean you'd rather that be the scenario because of a possible motive?

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say. I just can't figure out how to put that in words.

I missed the HLN program, but that revelation is horrific...But I too will take it with a grain of salt, until I hear some more reliable source.

• Like 1

Yes, regi, I too am dubious about a tie-in to the drug addiction of Lyric's father. You are right: why would some criminal mess w/ abducting two little kids to keep the father (of only one of the girls) from testifying against some drug lord? Why not off the guy directly? And why involve Lyric's cousin? She's no blood relative. I don't see why the other child's disappearance would motivate druggie daddy (and uncle) to go quiet on them.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say. I just can't figure out how to put that in words.

Sorry I didn't understand your comment, but I know what you mean about finding the words. For some reason, I had trouble formulating my question, and I'm just glad you understood it!

• Like 1

Yes, regi, I too am dubious about a tie-in to the drug addiction of Lyric's father. You are right: why would some criminal mess w/ abducting two little kids to keep the father (of only one of the girls) from testifying against some drug lord? Why not off the guy directly? And why involve Lyric's cousin? She's no blood relative. I don't see why the other child's disappearance would motivate druggie daddy (and uncle) to go quiet on them.

Yeah, I dismissed that angle right away...at least as a motive. I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility, but for many reasons, I think it'd be very, very unusual if that were the scenario.

I'm sure most of the people that the father had dealings with were likely already known to authorities, and I don't doubt that they've been looked at very closely.

I don't think this perp is "obvious"- he's not obvious for some reason. I'd be surprised if it turned out to be one of the many sex offenders investigators have contacted, but I'm thinking he might not have a record because the known sex offenders are obvious POI's and have apparently been thoroughly investigated.

I missed the HLN program, but that revelation is horrific...But I too will take it with a grain of salt, until I hear some more reliable source.

supervike, other info I can recall from the program (from "police sources") was that the discovery site appeared to be a dump site...that the bodies were 40- 50' feet apart, and that authorities were looking for a "primary murder scene".

• Like 1

Just read through this entire thread, and ye gods, this is awful.

Have they found anything else in connection with this? I'm glad the girls are at least at rest, but I'd hate to see this go completely cold.

Have they found anything else in connection with this? I'm glad the girls are at least at rest, but I'd hate to see this go completely cold

Authorities have seemed to me to have kept the investigation close to the vest....especially the part regarding witness statements, and I've found it very interesting.

There was that one man at the lake that afternoon who'd told the aunt that he'd seen the girls just minutes before, and to my knowledge, authorities have never publicly acknowledged his statement.

There's Carpenter's sighting which was never acknowledged.

Significantly later, authorities released info that a witness saw the girls on Gilbert- I think between 12:30 and 1:00 pm.

It's just interesting to me that authorities appeared to have waited before publicly stating what they determined (or believed) to have been the girls last know location and when they were there.

Now, I would think that surely, they've established a reason that the girls were reportedly often seen in that part of the neighborhood. I can't emphasize enough the importance of that information, and I think it's possible that that's something they've determined; possibly through the door-to-doors.

(Also interesting, there's never been any mention of friends that might have lived in that area.)

It just strikes me as strange how Carpenter described that the girls would ride past and turn around, and I don't think he said that that's what they did that day.

One thing I wasn't clear on for quite a while was that apparently, Elizabeth's family lives with the grandmother.

That supports (and makes sense of) info from the Carpenter's that Elizabeth was more familiar to them, and that she was seen in the evening.

The last report is that the autopsy's are complete, and it will be the sheriff's office who will (or won't) release the findings.

Of course, I'm hoping for the best- that DNA has been collected, and will ID a perp who is already in the system, or at the very least, is something for comparison.