Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists say immortality 20 years away

OverSword

I don't have much doubt that this is true, maybe not within the next 20 years, and probably not a really great thing for humanity in general, figure out for yourself why not. But what disturbs me is the statement from this scientist Ray Kurzweil.

From the article:

Oh, virtual sex will also be commonplace in the not-so-distant future.

REALLY? This is where the mind of this well respected scientist is at??? We will have immortals who's main concern is busting a nut?

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Scientist-Says-Immortality-Only-20-Years-Away-3710466.php

• Like 5

I dont think it'll be good, but then may have its purks,

As for the virtual hanky panky, kinda takes the fun out of it. LMAO

Thanks,

if this is true, I will only live 19 more years

• Like 1

Before they can turn a mule into a human? Or before you can have virtual sex? Ooops sorry wrong forum! :w00t:

• Like 2

I saw a miniseries similar to this called TORCHWOOD Miracle Day. It tells a story of a time when people are no longer able to die. The overpopulation is instantly a problem among many others that would come with such a jump in population. Not such a paradise.

• Like 2

I believe the soul is immortal already, and I'm satisfied with that...If I shoul'd die within the next twenty years so be it. But who discovers the existence of the soul but those who discover the afterlife exists? I think the afterlife exists well enough.....and I am satisfied with that....

• Like 3

'Well-respected scientist'/'World-renowned scientist' my @*$* :lol:

• Like 1

what really bug me is when these people use "well look..we now got stuff we didn't have 20yrs ago....so.........."

we got mobiles and flat screens...this guys talking about living forever....bit of a leap that don't ya think ?

I saw a miniseries similar to this called TORCHWOOD Miracle Day. It tells a story of a time when people are no longer able to die. The overpopulation is instantly a problem among many others that would come with such a jump in population. Not such a paradise.

But its a movie, let say you can live for 1000 years, why having kids in your 30's, you don't need to rush, so overpopulating will not be a problem. But suicide will be, no one wants to live forever, even if you think you want, someday you'll just have enough.

• Like 1

But its a movie, let say you can live for 1000 years, why having kids in your 30's, you don't need to rush, so overpopulating will not be a problem. But suicide will be, no one wants to live forever, even if you think you want, someday you'll just have enough.

That's a very good point. Funny to think that the thing most people want(or think they do) could be a horrible thing to others.

Who are these scientists . ???????????????? Names please

Well to bad for most of the world, as this treatment I would assume comes with a very BIG price.

And well at least the rich will live forever

• Like 4

You can bet only the rich will be able to afford this.

• Like 2

Immortality is ultimately an double edge blade. You be able to see your children grow up, see generations after generations, you can take your time to plan your advances in life, you won't have to worry about what you can or can't do, you be able to be to see humanity reach the stars, and you will gain wisdom beyond other things. This could also be used on endangered species, allowing for them to reproduce and rapidly grow their numbers as well.

But on the flipside of the coin. You will less likely breed, you will be able to see much more inhuman actions by others, you will most likely developer a superior attitude towards others, Less death means over-populations, Vital Resources would become more scarce, some would abuse this privilege of being immortal, Governments would create laws to decide who lives or dies by execution, and most of all who wants to live a life where your family members come and go while you still live on?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be immortal so I can learn everything there is to learn and help better mankind in a way that would make life much easier for everyone else. But it would kill me to see my family members die constantly and my lovers grow old while I don't. It would be something that would tear my emotions from me leaving me a empty shell of a man who will most likely become anti-social to not have to deal with the dramatic experiences such as death of a beloved family member.

I was really looking forward to this article, that was until I read it.

If I may...

Ray Kurzweil, a world-renowned scientist and author

Ray Kurzweil an author.

One of the changes he thinks are possible: Scientists may finally crack immortality.

One of the changes he thinks are possible.

our bodies' stone-age software so we can halt, then reverse, aging," he writes in The Sun

he writes in The Sun.

Kurzweil, whose fans include Bill Gates adn Bill Clinton, makes a number of other substantial claims

Lol, fans and substantial claims.

Oh, virtual sex will also be commonplace in the not-so-distant future.

You can argue that cyber sex is virtual sex, thanks for pointing out something that is already common place, well done.

Kurzweil concludes, "We can look forward to a world where humans become cyborgs

Is this really something to look forward to?

Ray Kurzweil may be thought if in high regards by many, but I was not impressed this time around (maybe I should read his books).

Sorry for the rant, I am now breathing calmly again. :tu:

I definitely agree a world of immortals would not be a paradise, but I think it would be an exclusive for the extremely rich and connected. Once them and their families are sorted restrictions of use would be enforced to keep it exclusive and not available for the masses of the world population.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

Well to bad for most of the world, as this treatment I would assume comes with a very BIG price.

And well at least the rich will live forever

You can bet only the rich will be able to afford this.

Was gonna say that!!! On another note, methink Social Security's not gonna like it, not gonna like it!!! Imagine working 'til 67 (retirement age) and get paid for 5 or 600 years???? WOW :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

People are forgetting some things when talking about population.

Firstly key scientists etc will be given it, so they should hopefully be able to get further. Hopefully space travel etc will be researched faster and new technologies etc.

Secondly, you really think e ery average joe will get this?! You will have to pay ALOT for this. It will be the rich and elite that get it. So they can run the world forever...

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 3

It will be the rich and elite that get it. So they can run the world forever...

And once they got it there will be no rush, so they can walk the world forever...

• Like 1

Isn't Kurzweil the chap predicting the technological "singularity" where computers become more intelligent than humans and take over the world ? So who/what is going to be running the show the rampant computers or the immortal geriatrics ? My money would be on neither of the above.

Isn't Kurzweil the chap predicting the technological "singularity" where computers become more intelligent than humans and take over the world ? So who/what is going to be running the show the rampant computers or the immortal geriatrics ? My money would be on neither of the above.

The Matrix trilogy just got a lot less sexy.

• Like 1

Even if they did figure out how to make humans immortal i doubt they would just be handing immortality to the public, most likely will be thousands if not millions of dollars

Even if they did figure out how to make humans immortal i doubt they would just be handing immortality to the public, most likely will be thousands if not millions of dollars

I won't be losing any sleep over it. Billionaires die at ages not much difference from the rest of us, and I doubt it's from squibbing on the medical attention.

The whole way of running the economy would have to change. Yes at first only the rich would be able to afford it and would probably get greedy wanting to keep it exclusive so population control would be enforced for the rest of us we are already wage slaves in a big way but as long as we are a source of profit for them they would want to keep us around - if computers and robotics also advance and our functions are less and less needful so would we be in the minds of these immortals.

It would be lovely to think we would grow up a bit and be wiser as a race with this but the elite havent changed much in the last couple of hundred years in fact if you compare the history of the tactics used by the Glasgow merchants just before the American revolution to the Bankers of today - they havent learnt a thing. Something that made them immortal would just make them think they need to horde more and more of the earths limited resources to themselves, the only use for us would be if space travel became viable - then it would be us shipped off still living our short dangerous lives (as we would be considered a disposable resource) in order to gather even more for them. If such a future was all you could look forward to - would you even want immortality if it was offered? If your job bores you now - imagine doing it for a hundred years or so.

• Like 1

There is absolutely no prospect of immortality, and if lifespans are significantly extended even by a decade or two, the system will collapse from the weight of aged care costs, pensions etc. Don't think people will want to be working to 80 to make up the difference.