Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists say immortality 20 years away

OverSword

Doesn't everybody want to die someday? Thats the whole beauty of life, we cease to exist after years of making history.

Doesn't everybody want to die someday? Thats the whole beauty of life, we cease to exist after years of making history.

What??? I can't be only one? :P

• Like 1

I'd love me some immortality.

Of course, it would have it's downsides...

Uh...call me crazy, but I don't think I want nanobots replacing my blood cells. Well, at least until they explain how it works, can I get a set of Adamantium claws to go with it, pretty please?

• Like 2

Who are these scientists . ???????????????? Names please

Did you read the article?

I would rather see nanobots fighting infections and cancer. If you had the knowledge that you would live forever, it would create a feeling that each day didn't matter. Life would be counted in decades or centuries rather than years.

On the other hand, it would give humans a much more broad perspective regarding the future. If the people in charge knew that they would be alive hundreds of years from now, much more interest would be shown in taking care of the Earth, rather than the short sited views many take today.

• Like 1

That's an appalling thought, humans living forever. And yuck, I would rather keep my human cells, no nano-replacements for me thanks.

jgorman, curing disease does fall under the umbrella of anti-aging resaerch in most cases. I did a quick search and found a short list of scientists actively doing research in related fields, over the last ten years I have read alot of articles and interviews, and heard podcasts with many of these people:

Edited by OverSword

20 years? Crap! I'll be dead by then!

• Like 2

20 years? Crap I'll still be too broke by then!

• Like 2

20 years? Crap I'll be 57 for the rest of my life!

• Like 1

I saw a miniseries similar to this called TORCHWOOD Miracle Day. It tells a story of a time when people are no longer able to die. The overpopulation is instantly a problem among many others that would come with such a jump in population. Not such a paradise.

Miracle Day was crap. Now, Torchwood: Children of Earth - that's a good story.

The porblem with Nantechnology is when someone does die... Do they carry on rebuilding? If so... Zombies... lol

• Like 2

The porblem with Nantechnology is when someone does die... Do they carry on rebuilding? If so... Zombies... lol

What I've always envisioned with using nanites to rebuild (thought of writing some fiction about it) is that you would be immortal, and would regenerate limbs, wounds would heal etc...The only way to be killed then would likely be decapition ala Highlander.

What I've always envisioned with using nanites to rebuild (thought of writing some fiction about it) is that you would be immortal, and would regenerate limbs, wounds would heal etc...The only way to be killed then would likely be decapition ala Highlander.

Good point, so what if they could regrow the head? lol What the feck would happen then?! lol Would someone else be made? lol

Guessing it would be imposisble, but what if the nanobots tried... :unsure:

What if somebody was poisoned? Wouldn't that kill the person? Or would the Nano bots react to the poison and get rid of it.

What about viruses? Like a computer virus for nanobots...That could be awful.

Not only zombies, but immortal robot zombies! That is 7 levels of cartoon hell! If there is a soul, wonder what happens to it when all the bio is replaced with techno.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3
  • Like 2

I don't have much doubt that this is true, maybe not within the next 20 years, and probably not a really great thing for humanity in general, figure out for yourself why not. But what disturbs me is the statement from this scientist Ray Kurzweil.

From the article:

Oh, virtual sex will also be commonplace in the not-so-distant future.

REALLY? This is where the mind of this well respected scientist is at??? We will have immortals who's main concern is busting a nut?

http://www.sfgate.co...way-3710466.php

We are already there.

Scientists have been de-aging mice and monkeys using a chemical called 4-OHT. Aging is caused by telomeres shortening and 4-OHT activates the cell mechanisms that lengthen them. The same mechanisms exist in human cells but trials have yet to begin. 4-OHT is commonly known as Estrogen the female sex hormone.

Whole cows milk has high levels of estrogen in it.

The nanites, as I envision it would be biological machines, in other words they themselves would be alive and self replicating. They would be programmed to reconstruct anything at a molecular level, so they could take a poison molecule and rearange the atoms into say a white blood cell. I can picture how it would all work in my mind but don't do the greatest job of describing it.

Where is everyone going to live ? Sounds like hes trying to end humanity and who wants to read a book in two min ?

Where is everyone going to live ? Sounds like hes trying to end humanity and who wants to read a book in two min ?

Then again if people can live for thousands of years space travel becomes a much more realistic endeavour. Interstellar

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

While his timeline for his predicted events are optimistic, they certainly are realistic at some point. Addressing a couple posters' points;

I'm finding overpopulation seems to not be a potential problem, as apparently a lot of people claim they want to die eventually. Another point to note pertaining to our resources is the fact that they're finite as is. Keeping the population down doesn't change the fact that they will run out. Scientists in other fields are working on this, and our progression as a species to a 'type 1' civilization then onto a 'type 2' will make this resource problem a non factor.

The thoughts being demonstrated in this thread validate Mr Kurzweil's thoughts on human linear thinking, when our technology is improving exponentially. My recommendation is an old one "wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they need to say something."

So you're wise I suppose, posting here on the internet? participating in forums like this are how people who have a limited grasp of the dynamics of the disscussion or subject can gain more insight. Like the annoying school teachers all said there is no such thing as a stupid question.

• Like 1

While his timeline for his predicted events are optimistic, they certainly are realistic at some point. Addressing a couple posters' points;

I'm finding overpopulation seems to not be a potential problem, as apparently a lot of people claim they want to die eventually. Another point to note pertaining to our resources is the fact that they're finite as is. Keeping the population down doesn't change the fact that they will run out. Scientists in other fields are working on this, and our progression as a species to a 'type 1' civilization then onto a 'type 2' will make this resource problem a non factor.

The thoughts being demonstrated in this thread validate Mr Kurzweil's thoughts on human linear thinking, when our technology is improving exponentially. My recommendation is an old one "wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they need to say something."

Most of the planets surface is wilderness. Theres plenty of room for new cities, new farms and new transport systems. The problem is many people lack the vision to see beyond the current. They have limited us to how the world currently is so they think the planet cant possibly support anymore people.

The human race will still be here in a million years time, we will be immortal, we will be able to overcome all problems and the population of planet earth will pass the trillion mark.