Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists say immortality 20 years away

OverSword

However there are many gravestones from past centuries (including here in the UK) that indicate the occupants lived to 200, 300 and beyond.

Really? That can't be possible though. Maybe they weren't good with math? Could be a joke left behind by the deceased?

The old age record for a person in the Gusiness Book of Records is 122.

However there are many gravestones from past centuries (including here in the UK) that indicate the occupants lived to 200, 300 and beyond.

Do you know where those graves are exactly? I did a quick google search and couldn't come up with anyone older than 107.

Most of the planets wilderness has other "Earthlings" living there. Unless you mean areas so remote there is no wild animals that would suffer from more cities. More farming = More polution by the way. People aren't just thinking of over crowding. If your answer was that easy people in Africa wouldn't be starving right now.

Before telling other posters they are wrong check your facts. Note the following population density map - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_density

India, China, Western and Central Europe, Japan and one or two other countries have high population densities. Most of the remaining planet is low population density with vast expanses of wilderness. Forests, jungles, plains and deserts occupy most of the planet not cities and farms. The planet is vastly under-populated and we dont do anything with 95% of its usable land.

Really? That can't be possible though. Maybe they weren't good with math? Could be a joke left behind by the deceased?

For longetivity claims to be accepted as fact requires a birth certificate but birth certificates didnt exist in the UK prior to the 1850s (similar dates elsewhere).

Example - In the Shoreditch burial register (UK) theres an entry saying that Thomas Cam of Holywell street died aged 207 - http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=45090 - but its before birth certificates existed.

The Christain Saint Servatius was born in 8 AD and died in 384 AD (age at death was 376) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Servatius - again before birth certificates.

There are 100s of claims of people from Siberia saying they are over 160 (many still alive) but thats before Russia introduced birth certificates too.

• Like 1

This will, of course, have some serious drawbacks I'm sure. Just wish I knew what they were.

For longetivity claims to be accepted as fact requires a birth certificate but birth certificates didnt exist in the UK prior to the 1850s (similar dates elsewhere).

Example - In the Shoreditch burial register (UK) theres an entry saying that Thomas Cam of Holywell street died aged 207 - http://www.british-h...px?compid=45090 - but its before birth certificates existed.

The Christain Saint Servatius was born in 8 AD and died in 384 AD (age at death was 376) - http://en.wikipedia....Saint_Servatius - again before birth certificates.

There are 100s of claims of people from Siberia saying they are over 160 (many still alive) but thats before Russia introduced birth certificates too.

That's interesting! I never heard about any of that before, thanks Mr. RW :tu:

Most of the planets wilderness has other "Earthlings" living there. Unless you mean areas so remote there is no wild animals that would suffer from more cities. More farming = More polution by the way. People aren't jsut thinking of over crowding. If your answer was that easy people in Africa wouldn't be starving right now.

Not sure why you mentioned staving people in africa. If they tended farms they would not be starving. Oh but wait there is more to it than that. they dont farm because in the words of an immortal comic "They live in a ****ing desert!"

If you farm the right places you can feed billions.

If they tended farms they would not be starving.

Grey, is this part of the comical bit of your post or a serious statement?

Grey, is this part of the comical bit of your post or a serious statement?

The problem with Ethiopia is its people are backwards.

If England existed there we would have irrigated the fields and if needed built desalination plants to secure our water supplies.

The problem with Ethiopia is its people are backwards.

If England existed there we would have irrigated the fields and if needed built desalination plants to secure our water supplies.

Its a bit harsh comparing the agricultural skill of an poorly educated third world farmer living in a semi-desert environment to a western farmer in Northern Europe.

'If England existed there' (as you so eloquently put it ;) ) we would not irrigate the fields and build desalination plants if needed. We would travel north, out of the mid-day sun and into a greener environment.

Well that's what I would do, enjoy the desert MRW, I will be in France enjoying the wine and wondering where Blighty has gone. :tu:

Edited by Junior Chubb

Its a bit harsh comparing the agricultural skill of an poorly educated third world farmer living in a semi-desert environment to a western farmer in Northern Europe.

'If England existed there' (as you so eloquently put it ;) ) we would not irrigate the fields and build desalination plants if needed. We would travel north, out of the mid-day sun and into a greener environment.

Well that's what I would do, enjoy the desert MRW, I will be in France enjoying the wine and wondering where Blighty has gone. :tu:

You surely cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Soil quality and water (usually dependent on climate) are what dictates whether an area is suitable for agriculture.

• Like 1

Ok if a Los Angeles farmer........ oh look they manage quite well in a desert.

Securing water supplies and irrigation arent exactly expensive or technically demanding. Where I live in England the water is taken from the sea, desalinated and purified. But as I said Ethiopia is backwards. Do they even have electricity and motorways?

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Securing water supplies and irrigation arent exactly expensive or technically demanding. Where I live in England the water is taken from the sea, desalinated and purified. But as I said Ethiopia is backwards. Do they even have electricity and motorways?

The truth is the lack of farming and resultant famine in Ethiopia has more to do with the political and resulting military conditions in the region than anything else. And to get the thread back on track, perhaps after they become immortal they will figure it out. :innocent:

I think that fear of death is what leads one to want immortality. If you could be immortal, however, the fear of the death would be gone, which would mean that once you have what you want, you're whole reason for wanting it is gone. Life would become meaningless.

I think that fear of death is what leads one to want immortality. If you could be immortal, however, the fear of the death would be gone, which would mean that once you have what you want, you're whole reason for wanting it is gone. Life would become meaningless.

So says the one who is already immortal! Wipe that blood off your chin! ^_^

I disagree, once you're immortal I'm guessing you could still be killed through drowning, extreme injury, or whatever, you would probably be even more careful and take fewer risks. After a while there would probably be alot of people with missing digits and limbs and what have you.

It would have to be kept secret, you could never let the world know that there was a way of achieving immortality, because then people would go insane to gain access to it, it would be complete madness!

So comparing an Ethiopian farmer to a British farmer was a bit harsh? Now comparing that same farmer to a farmer in LA that makes a little bit more sense (a little bit) :tu:

I will go with your judgement that securing water supplies and irrigation arent exactly expensive or technically demanding (as I have little knowledge of the subject), but in a country that is 'backwards' is it fair to blame the individuals?

In your first post quoting me you say the Ethiopians are 'backwards' (individuals) in your second its the country (no electricity and motorways) that is 'backwards'. So the country is 'backwards' and the people are 'backwards', surely if an Englishman/American had been raised there they would be 'backwards' too?

Still not really sure what your point is, or why you quoted my post.

There are comments in this thread suggesting other factors (soil quality, climate and politics). You seem to be knowledgeable and vocal on the subject, maybe you should start a thread on the subject as it seems to have aroused a bit of interest.

I am sorry if quoting Grey14's post provoked you into declaring Ethiopia's 'backwardness' and thus helped steer a few posts off topic...

Edited by Junior Chubb

So comparing an Ethiopian farmer to a British farmer was a bit harsh? Now comparing that same farmer to a farmer in LA that makes a little bit more sense (a little bit) :tu:

I will go with your judgement that securing water supplies and irrigation arent exactly expensive or technically demanding (as I have little knowledge of the subject), but in a country that is 'backwards' is it fair to blame the individuals?

In your first post quoting me you say the Ethiopians are 'backwards' (individuals) in your second its the country (no electricity and motorways) that is 'backwards'. So the country is 'backwards' and the people are 'backwards', surely if an Englishman/American had been raised there they would be 'backwards' too?

Still not really sure what your point is, or why you quoted my post.

There are comments in this thread suggesting other factors (soil quality, climate and politics). You seem to be knowledgeable and vocal on the subject, maybe you should start a thread on the subject as it seems to have aroused a bit of interest.

I am sorry if quoting Grey14's post provoked you into declaring Ethiopia's 'backwardness' and thus helped steer a few posts off topic...

You're diverting the debate and missing he point.

One little desert country where the people have problems with droughts is not a true representation of most of the planet. Most of the planet which isnt put to use in farming, city building, or other forms of productivity.

As for aging I've already told people how to live for several hundred years. 4-OHT (Estrogen) lengthens telomeres which reverses aging. Whole cows milk is an excellant source of it.

You need to beware of cancer when having a pint of whole cows milk every other day so plenty of fruit or veg.

You're diverting the debate and missing he point.

I am not sure why you think I am diverting the debate. The thread is about Ray Kurzweil and his view that immortality 20 years away. I quoted Grey14's post concerning farming in Africa asking if his post was in jest. The subject of Africa was already in conversation before my post (or I would not have been able to quote a post about it), despite this I apologised if my post had added more off topic content to the thread. I even suggested starting a different thread to tackle this issue. I do not see how I am diverting the debate in this case, and even if I did temporarily do so, that has passed and no longer relevant or deserving of a 'diverting' accusation.

Maybe you think I am diverting the debate away from our 'back and forth' about Ethiopia, if that is the case I am 'diverting the debate' as this is not the place for it (as OverSword pointed out). Surely that is the correct thing to do in this situation (and does not deserve a 'diverting' accusation), resolve an off topic debate with a new thread?

I might well be missing the point because I still don't know what your point is.

One little desert country where the people have problems with droughts is not a true representation of most of the planet. Most of the planet which isnt put to use in farming, city building, or other forms of productivity.

Why are you telling me this? What has this go to do with my post? Are you confusing me with someone else? (Sorry for the triple question whammy!) I made no mention of 'one little desert country representing most of the planet'. I was merely asking Grey14 if his comment ('If they tended farms they would not be starving.') was in jest or not, simple as that, no hidden agendas or implications. You might have assumed I was taking part in your conversation but believe me I was not.

As for aging I've already told people how to live for several hundred years. 4-OHT (Estrogen) lengthens telomeres which reverses aging. Whole cows milk is an excellant source of it.

You need to beware of cancer when having a pint of whole cows milk every other day so plenty of fruit or veg.

I read your posts earlier, interesting. It seems a bit far fetched to me (hundreds of years?), I thought the human digestive system had issues with milk after childhood (especially pasteurised milk), added to this you mention a cancer link.This does not sound like a recipe to long life to me (unless you mean't long life milk ;) ).

Thanks for the information though, I will look into it before dismissing it out of hand.

Edited by Junior Chubb

Woot! I'm gonna live forever! Um...but I can't have babies and no real sex?!?! What kind of life is that? I might as well go to prison.

Immortality will be great for the individual(if you're important or rich enough for it), but terrible for the species. The only way I can see them releasing it to the public is at an extremely extravagant price so only a few hundred people will even be able to afford it.

Personally I believe this to be fascinating. If anything, I hope for it to be achievable and kept secret to the mass. This could help benefit our search for E.T. life as a species greatly. Let's say catastrophe begins sometime in the future, and Mother Earth is about to witness her dying day... With immortality, it's possible we could easily habitate other planets. Whether the planet can support life or not, depending on the conditions, we as a species are know for bending the rules of nature for our own survival. It's possible that one day our own will be living on another Earth, manmade.

Traveling light years from home could be achieved, making the searchee's more willing for a go.

I'm pretty stoked for the next 20+ years of my life, these drastic changes upon modern-day society will be beyond mind blowing.

Edited by ViViDviSioN

'Well-respected scientist'/'World-renowned scientist' my @*$* :lol:

He's been reading Dracula.What a loada Moo Poo.

The world will become over-populated. We won't be able to have enough resources to keep so many people alive who are still breeding people to keep alive who will then breed people who will be kept alive.

It will be a slow and painful death if you choose immortality.