Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists say immortality 20 years away

OverSword

He's been reading Dracula.What a loada Moo Poo.

If you read one of my earlier posts you will see a quite extensive list of scientists actively working on longevity/immortality. Many of these scientists are also employed as (for example) heads of departments at large universities and top researchers of pharmacological companies. They've already got a pretty good idea which protiens stop being produced which causes damage to DNA and aging. If they know that how far off can they be from finding a solution to that problem and making it so DNA continues to repair itself past 30? Those who can't see past thier genitals and just can't imagine immortals whos main preoccupation isn't reproductions really lack imagination and are probably in thier teens or twenties and are therefore handicapped by raging hormones.

seems legit. i would gladly be a test subject. just...gotta be careful who he exposes it to...cause that could go wrong..

I'm still waiting on the hover cars, wooly mammoth, and Mars colony we've been promised....

Seriously, not going to happen.

Jack of Blades,

Not sure what exactly you're implying, but those things you mentioned are possible. The mammoth is in process, the hover car and Mars colony are not economically feasible. They're definitely possible though.

Try this; think about the benefits of the hover cars and Mars colony, then compare those benefits to the projected costs.

I am worried what this would mean for society.

The upper class would actually become genetically superior to the lower class. Which will lead to a new form of discrimination and well other things that would suck for the poor.

Here's the real question, which would you choose, super powers, or immortality? Some super power sets also let you live for a very long time, Thor, Superman (Kryptonians in general), Wolverine, Silver Surfer, etc.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

this is something i'm interested in.. i've read the whole thread up untill this african farmer thing, glossed over that bit, well, it's nice to see everyone seems to be maybe not on the same page, but at least in the same book...

.. so about this immortality thing, grab your tinfoil and make a hat.

go check out sofia smallstorm's presentation, "the dark agenda of synthetic biology" ..you can find it at youtube..

yep. youtube.

DOWNLOAD IT.. because if you've spent a little time down the rabbit hole, you're probably going to want to watch it 3-4 times..

i'll come back to see what you all think..