Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saru

How did the ancient Maya deal with drought ?

11 posts in this topic

Despite regular dry seasons the Maya found an ingenious way to store enough water to sustain them.

For four months out of every year in the ancient Mayan city of Tikal, the skies dried up and no rain fell. Nevertheless, this metropolis in what is now Guatemala became a bustling hub of as many as 80,000 residents by A. D. 700.

arrow3.gifRead more...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Not very well from what I recall...

Maybe I was mislead by national curriculum history (or my rapidly failing memory), again!!

Great article, thanks for posting.

Edited by Junior Chubb

Nice find.

Tidy,

Thanks,

I am always impressed by the ways the ancients survived harsh times without modern technology. It is commonsense to store water for droughts but how to do it is a whole different problem. One which the Mayans solved using basic tools and technology. Nice find!

1 person likes this

they could also have tried drinking from toilets ^_^ or aquaducts

1 person likes this

I thought thats why the Mayan "sacrified" it's own peoples, to ask the rain gods for water.

I guess their aquaducts weren't enough to sustain them. They had to resort to "human sacrifices". And at the looks of it, alot of them.

1 person likes this

if they would of listen to the wine gods and stocked up the wine for the dry season, the population would of soar even more with all the good times :)

1 person likes this

"Recent excavations, sediment coring and mapping by a multi-university team led by the University of Cincinnati at the pre-Columbian city of Tikal, a paramount urban center of the ancient Maya, have identified new landscaping and engineering feats, including the largest ancient dam built by the Maya of Central America."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120716191443.htm

2 people like this