Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Hole in Mars

Still Waters

I'm not a scientist, but that looks like an inpact crater.

• Like 1

That's awesome! Love the clarity of the picture.

If that's an underground cavern exposed by impact, I wonder what caused the cavern. Flowing liquid/magma in times past?

Anyway, great find.

• Like 1

Amazing! it does look like a sinkhole, maybe, but why isn't there a pile of .. sand? directly underneath the opening?

Where did the sand go that must have slid down? It looks Empty inside!! It does look sort of like an impact crater.. the Hollowness is the astounding part!

• Like 1

Is the white surrounding suppossed to be Ice? Sand? Salt? give us a little help here NAY-sa!!

• Like 1

If Mars does have underground caves that may be a sign it had water at one time and life.

• Like 3

it does look like a sink hole..

Hilander.. there is a lot of evidence that mars at one time did hold water :) as for life.. possible.. but not confirmed..

Sinkhole:

GuatemalaSinkhole1.jpg

Impact Crater:

lunar4.jpg

My money is impact crater, just happens to be a hole or cave underneath. Which oculd have even been created by the thing that made the impact. (Meteor, space debri etc)

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 4

Mars seems to have a pimple..

Amazing! it does look like a sinkhole, maybe, but why isn't there a pile of .. sand? directly underneath the opening?

Where did the sand go that must have slid down? It looks Empty inside!! It does look sort of like an impact crater.. the Hollowness is the astounding part!

Agree, the cave floor underneath seems flat and no sand or debris.

Might be that there has been an underground river sweeping it away after the crater was made?

Zam

If we were ever going to set up shop on Mars or the Moon, to my mind the most sensible way to do it would be with underground bases.

Reminds me of the cave in the B movie - Evolution.

Sinkhole:

GuatemalaSinkhole1.jpg

Impact Crater:

lunar4.jpg

My money is impact crater, just happens to be a hole or cave underneath. Which oculd have even been created by the thing that made the impact. (Meteor, space debri etc)

Wow, you haven't been digging for gold, or maybe a goldfish Pond ? Seriously I hope no one got injured.
  • Like 2

Astronomy Picture of the Day -

What created this unusual hole in Mars?

http://apod.nasa.gov...d/ap120718.html

Entrance/exit to an underground Martian City,worth exploring someday.

Being on the side of a volcano, could it not just be a magma cavern that's caved in over time?

Edited by Cyaneyed

Maybe the Martians were testing underground nukes. :passifier:

Haven't we learned enough from the b rated movies that we have no business spelunking alien caverns?

Haven't we learned enough from the b rated movies that we have no business spelunking alien caverns?

Don't take away all the fun... everyone likes to hear about an astronaut getting their head bit off by an alien. :alien:

Edited by pallidin

Odd there is no debris on the floor, since you have a funnel shaped pit on a planet with dust storms. Perhaps swept away by wind or water coursing through tunnels?

• Like 1

Nah, just alien goo-slime.

My guess is that the crater is not really too deep, and that most of the hole was actually tossed out when something hit here. Debris in the cave hole being gone, I'd vote for it being moved around by wind and pushed downhill out of sight of the pic. Probably down a lava tube of some kind.

At first I was leaning toward it being a sink hole. But looking at the pic again, there does appear to be a faint ridge around the crater. So I'm voting impact crater too.

Edit: I thought the dirt on Mars was Red??

Edited by DieChecker

My guess is that the crater is not really too deep, and that most of the hole was actually tossed out when something hit here. Debris in the cave hole being gone, I'd vote for it being moved around by wind and pushed downhill out of sight of the pic. Probably down a lava tube of some kind.

At first I was leaning toward it being a sink hole. But looking at the pic again, there does appear to be a faint ridge around the crater. So I'm voting impact crater too.

Edit: I thought the dirt on Mars was Red??

Not sure about this particular location as to whether or not it should be "red", but NASA imaging often uses "false colors" to enhance detail.