Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Batman Shootings

Drayno

Is there any way to put restrictions on the materials for making homemade bombs, like pipe bombs, sticky bombs, that can kill far more people than automatic weapons? Won't make a damn if you put more restrictions on automatic weapons when the ability to make those kind of bombs are a lot easier for psychopaths, terrorists and criminals to blow people up with; especially in a theatre.

I'm all for gun control but we need to do something about the bombs and the ability to make those bombs first. It's too easy to make those damn things these days, versus getting automatic weapons.

Edited by Purifier
  • Like 1

Is there any way to put restrictions on the materials for making homemade bombs, like pipe bombs, sticky bombs, that can kill far more people than automatic weapons? Won't make a damn if you put more restrictions on automatic weapons when the ability to make those kind of bombs are a lot easier for psychopaths, terrorists and criminals to blow people up with; especially in a theatre.

I'm all for gun control but we need to do something about the bombs and the ability to make those bombs first. It's too easy to make those damn things these days, versus getting automatic weapons.

Good luck banning all the materials needed to make bombs.

With the right kind of knowledge someone could probably make a bomb that can kill 50+ people using the chemicals under your sink and the tools in your garage.

• Like 1

Good luck banning all the materials needed to make bombs.

With the right kind of knowledge someone could probably make a bomb that can kill 50+ people using the chemicals under your sink and the tools in your garage.

Exactly. That's what scares me the most. Most people can easily get the right knowledge or know how from anywhere these days, even off the internet.

So ... a costumeless Comic-Con in 2013?

Less flippantly, I've been told time and again here that concealed carry means that if someone does start shooting like this, there'll be an armed someone there to shoot back. Oddly enough, we

never hear "man goes on attempted shooting

rampage shoots three and is shot dead by

passerby". So all those guns there for protection

and ... you're as vulnerable as those of us in

countries with strict gun control laws.

Its because most people are raises to believe guns are bad... when if one of them would have been carrying then some people may be alive right now.

I don't like the way I made that sound. I don't know how else tpu say it though. Every lost life is tragic and saddens me and nothing I can think of could make it better. I hope the families of those lost can find peace with time.

having a gun in that situation would have resulted in a single thing ... you dead.

having a gun in that situation would have resulted in a single thing ... you dead.

At least I would have died trying to save others including women and children. I would have died proud of myself.

• Like 2

While the thought of a mostly armed citizenry at the bank and grocery and picking up their kids at school is frightening to me. I do not agree with your blanket statement.

Edited by QuiteContrary

The timing of this event, especially after the failure of Fast and Furious seems extreemely coincidental to me. Not to mention the UN small arms treaty signing at the end of the month. The timing is almost too perfect.

My thoughts exactly - my first thoughts, actually..

But I do not know for sure - but I was still willing to ask the questions..

And now, as I expected, debates about guns are amassed! The media certainly is doing what I thought it would do..

Granted, after an incident like this it's hard to not talk about the topic.

In the upcoming election it will be a topic..

I semi-respect Obama for sidestepping his political event to speak about the whole tragedy...

In the UK all this stuff is banned. While it makes getting hold of a gun or making a bomb harder it doesnt remove the desire to kill. What you find is they get knives, samurai swords, axes and other weapons instead. Last year the US had more crazed gunmen than the rest of the world put together several times over. When its at those levels it can no longer be brushed off as crazed lunatics because it indicates a problem with US society.

In countries like Russia they censor magazines, television programs and pop music which singles out sections of the population for mistreatment. How many times do people turn on an American television program to discover bright kids being portrayed as unpopular geeks? In the US there is a blatent disregard for how this impacts the lives of their brightest or anybody else that stands out from the crowd.

If their lives get ruined as a result of the mistreatment then they snap and become crazed gunmen.

Last month it happened nearly every day.

Maybe our Sky News reports more than CNN

The last one here would have been the Virginia Tech shooting. And the one before that was way back in 1999. ( Columbine )

Mass shootings are very very rare here.

• Like 1

At least I would have died trying to save others including women and children. I would have died proud of myself.

Don't need a gun to do that.

The last one here would have been the Virginia Tech shooting. And the one before that was way back in 1999. ( Columbine )

Mass shootings are very very rare here.

Batman shooting, Oikas University shooting, Chardon High School shooting are three prominant ones I remember from this year alone. A few months back Sky News was reporting nearly 1 every day.

Maybe you only know about the ones that get put on the front of US papers?

Edited by Mr Right Wing

In the UK all this stuff is banned. While it makes getting hold of a gun or making a bomb harder it doesnt remove the desire to kill. What you find is they get knives, samurai swords, axes and other weapons instead. Last year the US had more crazed gunmen than the rest of the world put together several times over. When its at those levels it can no longer be brushed off as crazed lunatics because it indicates a problem with US society.

In countries like Russia they censor magazines, television programs and pop music which singles out sections of the population for mistreatment. How many times do people turn on an American television program to discover bright kids being portrayed as unpopular geeks? In the US there is a blatent disregard for how this impacts the lives of their brightest or anybody else that stands out from the crowd.

If their lives get ruined as a result of the mistreatment then they snap and become crazed gunmen.

You should really stop preaching how different the UK is to the US...its becoming daft now.

Batman shooting, Oikas University shooting, Chardon High School shooting are three prominant ones I remember from this year alone. A few months back Sky News was reporting nearly 1 every day.

Maybe you only know about the ones that get put on the front of US papers?

Have you seen the size difference between the UK and the US..?..levy it out and no doubt the figures will be similar.

• Like 1

Good questions posed Drayno!

Yes, it seems highly likely that some sort of "gun control" laws will now be introduced. They will be as futile as the other gun control laws on the books, because the law cannot predict how crazy humans will act.

At the heart of the matter is whether or not the government can protect us from crazy humans. I say it cannot.

If one operates on the assumption that the government CAN protect us from crazies, we are in for a rude awakening.

• Like 2

Just the opposite;

http://theacru.org/acru/harvard_study_gun_control_is_counterproductive/

The study, which just appeared in Volume 30, Number 2 of the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy (pp. 649-694), set out to answer the question in its title: "Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide? A Review of International and Some Domestic Evidence." Contrary to conventional wisdom, and the sniffs of our more sophisticated and generally anti-gun counterparts across the pond, the answer is "no." And not just no, as in there is no correlation between gun ownership and violent crime, but an emphatic no, showing a negative correlation: as gun ownership increases, murder and suicide decreases.

The scumbags that go on shooting sprees are by every definition cowards, they pick targets based on their vulnerability and that are the least risk to them.

If the audience was armed, then he wouldn't have bothered to even enter the theater.

Edited by Socio
  • Like 2

You don't have to ban guns out right, I have no idea why the Americans think it is the only option which is unpopular at best.

You stop people from having them that do not a a genuine sporting reason. Make people prove they do by making sure they are members of gun clubs etc. Don't let people buy them who have violent criminal records. Then gradually and it would take decades remove the non-sporting weapons off the street.

I have owned firearms in the UK, when I gave up shooting as a sport I gave up my guns.

I don't need a firearm for protection as the chances of me being attacked either inside or outside my home by a gun is very slim. You will never stop every type of these crimes, however you can reduce the chance.

• Like 1

Walking around with a gun does not mean you will survive an awful situation

• Like 4

Walking around with a gun does not mean you will survive an awful situation

Quite often makes the situation worse.

• Like 3

Seriously who wants to walk around with a gun 24/7 with the intention of being able to shoot anyone who may or may not threaten your survival. That sounds healthy

• Like 1

Seriously who wants to walk around with a gun 24/7 with the intention of being able to shoot anyone who may or may not threaten your survival. That sounds healthy

Sad thing is I bet the sales of guns will increase after this disaster. Something that will only make the problem worse.

• Like 2

I don't understand that logic.

I don't understand that logic.

People are scared, therefore they'll buy more guns to protect themselves.

Sad, stupid but true. We've seen this in the past, I'm sure it'll happen again. Sadly.

They are indirectly telling themselves that they are prepared to shoot someone with the intention of causing serious harm. Bad stuff happens all the time and there are a lot of sick people out there, we hope that our laws will protect us and keep us safe. Sad fact is that we are not safe and we don't live forever but if my neighbour brought a gun for self protection I would seriously be questioning the area I live in

• Like 1

You don't have to ban guns out right, I have no idea why the Americans think it is the only option which is unpopular at best.

You stop people from having them that do not a a genuine sporting reason. Make people prove they do by making sure they are members of gun clubs etc. Don't let people buy them who have violent criminal records. Then gradually and it would take decades remove the non-sporting weapons off the street.

I have owned firearms in the UK, when I gave up shooting as a sport I gave up my guns.

I don't need a firearm for protection as the chances of me being attacked either inside or outside my home by a gun is very slim. You will never stop every type of these crimes, however you can reduce the chance.

Imagine that the government went all the way and actually banned firearm possession.

Now, considering that the government banned possession of certain drugs nearly 100 years ago, and that today those drugs are sold and traded by children in schools, and are traded and sold behind prison walls, how well do you think a firearm ban would work?