Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"You didn't build that"

F3SS

whats it about?

i cant watch it.

thanks, look forward to what others say.

thanks op.

It's just a link you can read. The article explains the videos.

The part of a person's education paid for by taxes, essentially K thru 12, doesn't prepare them for anything. So he's stealing the thunder of anyone who went to college on their own dime to prepare themselves to be employable. I would imagine that most business owners can point out more ways that the government has impeded their progress than aided it. So whether you are an employer or an employee I would say there is very little to thank the government for. Just the opposite, it's those who don't create or don't work that the government supports. They're the ones truly living on something they didn't build.

• Like 6

Another thing, if I build a business, Im the only one who takes the risk. All these people who "helped me" arent going to lose everything when I go outta business.

• Like 3

You're absolutely correct, that business is yours, your responsibility and your right.

But it doesn't exist in isolation. You do benefit from the works of others, in effect someone paid you a "favour" which you should "pay it forward" by helping out in one way shape or form.

The part of a person's education paid for by taxes, essentially K thru 12, doesn't prepare them for anything.

except being able to read, count, add up and take away, understand the balance of rights and responsibility...

• Like 3

I hate it when some are incapable of recognizing the contribution of others to their success. I know I should not because there is a psychological explanation for it.... but I still do.

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 5

Another thing, if I build a business, Im the only one who takes the risk. All these people who "helped me" arent going to lose everything when I go outta business.

I think they take as big a risk as you would. Consider the fact that the workers in a small business are more affected by the overall performance of the business. Working for a small business means less job security, less benefits and depending on how well the business is doing, potentially less pay and worse hours. They might in fact lose everything if they are reliant on the wage and can't get another job if the business fails.

• Like 4

I think they take as big a risk as you would. Consider the fact that the workers in a small business are more affected by the overall performance of the business. Working for a small business means less job security, less benefits and depending on how well the business is doing, potentially less pay and worse hours. They might in fact lose everything if they are reliant on the wage and can't get another job if the business fails.

I have to disagree, building a business from the ground up, especially one that starts out with no employees, is like raising a child. The people who are employed later are like babysitters. It is a lot tougher losing your own child than losing a babysitting job.

I'm not discrediting the difficulties someone would experience if the place they work goes out of business...but it's more risky owning a business. Employers want to see that you've worked consistently for someone else without time spent unemployed... putting on the resume that you were unemployed for years because you had your own business can sometimes cause them not to want to hire you. (and conversely it can also cause them to respect you, depends on the interviewer) There is also significant risk in businesses that aren't incorporated, as if the business is sued they can go after the business owner and their personal property as well. Not to mention that if a business tanks, the person who started it usually has a lot of time and money in it that can't be recovered.

• Like 2

Pretty much sums it up for me.

http://pjmedia.com/z...ld-that-speech/

The problem is for the author that he presents what is known as a strawman argument. Obama presented no such argument. So the author created something with pieces in reality and the rest in a fantasy conservaworld, and then proceeded to knock his own creation down.

he presented a thesis which, like a three-legged stool, relies on three assumptions that must all be true for the argument to remain standing
  • Like 3

The part of a person's education paid for by taxes, essentially K thru 12, doesn't prepare them for anything.

Try to get a job. Anywhere. Without a HS education or GED, it's nearly unattainable. So yes, it prepares them for work.

• Like 2

certainly they will. The government will lose tax revenue for all the benefits it's provided so that you could start that business.

People...businesses pay a lot of taxes. So the pay it forward talk doesn't make sense. The business pays taxes, the business owner then pays personal taxes on the wages he pays himself. Where does this rhetoric that business are leeching of society come from? You say the business can't work without roads and infrastructure and the business needs to gratify those who paid for it. Well guess what? That business owner also helped pay for those roads and so does the business, through taxes of course just like every other tax payer. It's not leeching. We all pay for the roads therefore we all can use them as we need. Just because a road or anything built by the government can indirectly help a business succeed doesn't mean they owe extra thanks or taxes on top of what they already give. We all have the same exact oportunity to use the infrastructure. We all pay for that infrastructure. And as far as people saying that businesses don't recognize or compensate those who have helped, namely employees, well that's just wrong. It's called a wage or a salary that the employee agreed to accept for the help they'll provide. It's a mutual understanding and aside from a binding contract, nothing is stopping you from seeking greener pastures if your job isn't cutting it for you. We give the government money to do certain things for us to maintain a functioning society. We don't owe them anymore than a pat on the back and a vote if we like them. They're only doing their job, that they asked for, and we pay them a salary for it. We are their boss and they need to stop undermining their boss. Go undermine your boss and see how that works out for you.

• Like 5

Personally I don't give two hoots what any of you have to say.... You didn't type that somebody else made that happen.

• Like 4

Here's a clip that I like. I think this says why Capitalism is superior to any flavor of Oligarchy.

[media=]

[/media]

In Republican America, being nuked by the Russians is at worst cost neutral to business.

'merica.

Here's a clip that I like. I think this says why Capitalism is superior to any flavor of Oligarchy.

[media=]

[/media]

waswondering how long it would take before we were graced by a simplistic Hollywood view.

• Like 3

You're absolutely correct, that business is yours, your responsibility and your right.

But it doesn't exist in isolation. You do benefit from the works of others, in effect someone paid you a "favour" which you should "pay it forward" by helping out in one way shape or form.

except being able to read, count, add up and take away, understand the balance of rights and responsibility...

As someone that has hired a lot of HS students and/or grads don't be too sure they can read, count, add, or subtract. I know many that couldn't figure out how much change was due, at least not without calculator.

James Brooks, who graduated from HS and auburn, reads at the 3rd grade level.

PS The government never built any of the roads I use. They were all built by private companies that were paid with taxes the government took from us, ie our money. Most roads are paid for by, and are maintained by, States and local governments anyway. Some neighborhoods pay for their own roads.

Edited by Bama13
  • Like 2

In related news:

An unoriginal Obama quote, taken out of context

There are few original ideas in politics, just old arguments.

We were reminded of this as we considered the ruckus over comments by President Obama that his GOP rival, former governor Mitt Romney, criticized as an attack on free enterprise. Romney immediately began jabbing Obama on the campaign trail and the Romney campaign rushed out an attack ad focused on Obama’s words — though, as we shall see, it sliced and diced the president’s quote to make it seem much worse.

We will stipulate that taking snippets of quotes and twisting them is an age-old political tactic. In May, we gave Two Pinocchios to President Obama for performing out-of-context quote-snipping on Romney’s words. But that doesn’t make it right. Let’s take a look at what Obama actually said, and then how it has been interpreted

Read more

As someone that has hired a lot of HS students and/or grads don't be too sure they can read, count, add, or subtract.

Well then your education system is failing them and you. There is no excuse for children being unable to read other then blindness.

• Like 3

Well then your education system is failing them and you. There is no excuse for children being unable to read other then blindness.

Partially true in some cases, mainly inner city schools. Parents are the real reason many students fail. If by the time one reaches high school, 13-14 years old here, and can't grasp the basics and the parents havent taken a greater interest in doing something about it well then you can't blame just the teachers. Sure some people are born with learning disabilities but I'm talking about slackers. In either case a parent has to recognize certain issues and try to take care of them. There is more to education than attending a class. Discipline, or at least some structural upbringing has something to do with it too.

• Like 3

Partially true in some cases, mainly inner city schools. Parents are the real reason many students fail. If by the time one reaches high school, 13-14 years old here, and can't grasp the basics and the parents havent taken a greater interest in doing something about it well then you can't blame just the teachers. Sure some people are born with learning disabilities but I'm talking about slackers. In either case a parent has to recognize certain issues and try to take care of them. There is more to education than attending a class. Discipline, or at least some structural upbringing has something to do with it too.

Preaching to the choir, I teach five year olds here in Oz, the hardest thing to do with reading is getting the parents involved and at that age it's the most important part of teaching reading - being read to and having someone read with you.

Regardless, it was kind of a not so nice argument to make, and the rhetoric wasn't necessary. There are many hard workers out there, one should never attempt to detract from their efforts to succeed. Even if that wasn't the president's intent, sometimes things are better left unsaid.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3
  • Like 4