Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"You didn't build that"

F3SS

I highly doubt any speech writer wrote that.

That's what's so bad about it.

I highly doubt any speech writer wrote that.

Too Good? Or too Bad? What gives it away?

Too Good? Or too Bad? What gives it away?

It's too vague and rambly to have been planned out in advance.

"Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

for example.

The double usage of "the Internet" and the non-specificity of "all the companies". Not to mention that that's not why the Government created the Internet (Distributed Communication System capable of surviving nuclear attack are it's actual origins).

I strongly doubt that any professional speech-writer would construct a sentence that clumsy and think it was good enough to include in a President's speech. I'd expect to see something more along the lines of:

"It was government research which gave us our shared digital infrastructure - the foundations of the Internet - which many companies are building on today as a vital part of their everyday businesses."

• Like 1

This reminds me a lot of the Michelle Obama "for the first time, I'm proud of my country" quote and the whole Jeremiah Wright ordeal. Excuses came out from every angle and of course poor misunderstood Obama just isn't given a chance. I remember voicing an opinion contrary to the popular opinion that she really didn't mean it that way and got such evil stares from obvious Obama supporters but that's all the nerve they had to do was just stare...

There was no taking that out of context, she said it word for word. As far as the Wright deal, that was a recording from one visit that I heard of, who knows what kind of hate speech he's spewed over the span of all the years they had been going there...

I don't have what I take for granted. That's and I'll conceived assumption the left has when someone doesn't praise the government for what they've done. Why should we? The government didn't pay for anything. We did. All the government does is manage the country. They don't own it.

I understand why success is possible and rampant in the USA. However, I don't credit the any government except the founding one for the greatness of our country. All succeeding governments from then on are just doing their jobs by asking sure certain things are available to the masses. Also, doing anything except what they're supposed to only impedes progress.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." --Thomas Sowell

547996_402709303121389_2010056932_n.jpg

• Like 1

"Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

for example.

The double usage of "the Internet" and the non-specificity of "all the companies". Not to mention that that's not why the Government created the Internet (Distributed Communication System capable of surviving nuclear attack are it's actual origins).

I strongly doubt that any professional speech-writer would construct a sentence that clumsy and think it was good enough to include in a President's speech. I'd expect to see something more along the lines of:

"It was government research which gave us our shared digital infrastructure - the foundations of the Internet - which many companies are building on today as a vital part of their everyday businesses."

That's because the speech wasn't intended for you alone. This speech reeked of propaganda. It morphed quickly from attacking 'people who are successful' to GOV made everything possible. A ten year old could understand it because it was intended to speak to all of America.

That's because the speech wasn't intended for you alone. This speech reeked of propaganda. It morphed quickly from attacking 'people who are successful' to GOV made everything possible. A ten year old could understand it because it was intended to speak to all of America.

Political speeches have political agendas. I expect that's pretty much a given.

I don't believe that it's any sort of masterful grand conspiracy. It was a speech that would have generally gone unnoticed into the void, had Conservative commentators not picked up on the whole "you didn't build that" thing.

In my opinion, it's too clumsy in it's construction to have survived the sort of re-writes and vetting that a pre-planned political speech would generally receive.

Political speeches have political agendas. I expect that's pretty much a given.

I don't believe that it's any sort of masterful grand conspiracy. It was a speech that would have generally gone unnoticed into the void, had Conservative commentators not picked up on the whole "you didn't build that" thing.

In my opinion, it's too clumsy in it's construction to have survived the sort of re-writes and vetting that a pre-planned political speech would generally receive.

Yes they do. And boy oh boy do the D's and R's have agendas. One hand rubs the back of another. It's all too obvious. From the television media to the print and web media... the 2 party system propagandizes the participant. I've got my own head and opinion. I don't need the GOV telling me what to do.

• Like 1

I believe it was a puposeful speech not ad-libbed by the president. The purpose was to gain voting influence among the occupy types.

• Like 1

for example.

So he was trying to go off his natural Public Speaking talent he has and made some gaffs? I'll buy that.

Maybe next time he'll prepare a speech and have someone give it the once over. Bush got fried whenever he went off his Lines. As does Biden.

I believe it was a puposeful speech not ad-libbed by the president. The purpose was to gain voting influence among the occupy types.

Because all the occupy types are natural Conservatives?

• Like 1

Because your Meme was so much catchier.

Because all the occupy types are natural Conservatives?

Because he was trying to acknowledge that big business is nothing without its employees, but he failed miserably in his wording.

(I didn't take that as his meaning. But I was suggesting that such a meaning could have been aimed at Occupy members)

Edited by karmakazi
  • Like 1

Ok, grab the hand next to you. Let's be a village for a minute.

Obama was "off script" when he spoke with passion and honesty. He made one mistake. He used the word "that" when he meant to say "them". "If you got a business...you did not build them." Obviously he misspoke and has said as much recently. Read his entire statement and insert "them" instead of "that", and it makes perfect sense.

A lot of repubs need to ease off this word game and focus on the message.

A business is singular. Them is plural. Doesn't make grammatical sense. Them word he meant to say was that.

And we heard his message just fine.

Edited by Is it for real
  • Like 1

“If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system them we have them allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build them. Somebody else made them happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so them all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is them when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.”

Sorry you totally missed my point. Obama said one word wrong, not 20. Obama said just today that he was talking about roads and bridges, plural, not about your business, singular!

Please use a few of your brain cells and just change 1, one, uno, ichi word in the phrase,.."you didn't build "that". He meant to say them as he explained today and yesterday. He was talking about roads and bridges, geesh.

Is this all you got for a chance to win the white house...really now!

Ok dude, you win. If you've got a business you didn't build them. You're right.

I know you are smarter than that. Here is what Obama actually said.

Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

Here is what Obama actually meant, and said so the past few days.

Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business -- you didn't build "them". Somebody else made that happen.

Are you blind? Or just an Obama hater?

Sorry you totally missed my point. Obama said one word wrong, not 20. Obama said just today that he was talking about roads and bridges, plural, not about your business, singular!

Please use a few of your brain cells and just change 1, one, uno, ichi word in the phrase,.."you didn't build "that". He meant to say them as he explained today and yesterday. He was talking about roads and bridges, geesh.

Is this all you got for a chance to win the white house...really now!

The term Freudian Slip comes to mind.

A Freudian slip, also called parapraxis, is an error in speech, memory, or physical action that is interpreted as occurring due to the interference of some unconscious ("dynamically repressed"), subdued wish, conflict, or train of thought.

How is "you didn't build them" any better? It still implies that the business owner (lumped in with roads and bridges apparently) could not exist without government to hold their hand. It is like he is going from insulting to simply condecending.

Edited by DieChecker

Because he was trying to acknowledge that big business is nothing without its employees, but he failed miserably in his wording.

(I didn't take that as his meaning. But I was suggesting that such a meaning could have been aimed at Occupy members)

If Romany bother to have put this in the last bit of his speech it wouldn't be a problem in the first place. Myself and along with President Obama are socked together at people, who think small business succeeded just own their own. In fact anyone with e a reading level beyond 9th grade could understand, what President Obama was saying. But the uninformed voters tend to not have f said skill beyond the third grade, I guess that why a lot of the voters get their information from Ad's

Also if people bother to read any of his actual speech he put down in context I quoted the part Romany left out.

If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet," Obama said, returning to his thesis.

"The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

If Romany bother to have put this in the last bit of his speech it wouldn't be a problem in the first place. Myself and along with President Obama are socked together at people, who think small business succeeded just own their own. In fact anyone with e a reading level beyond 9th grade could understand, what President Obama was saying. But the uninformed voters tend to not have f said skill beyond the third grade, I guess that why a lot of the voters get their information from Ad's

Also if people bother to read any of his actual speech he put down in context I quoted the part Romany left out.

Romany? Do you mean Mitt Romney or am I missing something about Gypsies?

I am shocked at Obama, for apparently thinking that he could fly on his own without his speech writers.