Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"You didn't build that"

F3SS

Thanks tigg but I wasn't looking for an answer.

Then don't ask a question.

It means that Republicans have taken him out of context and continue to deliberately do so.

Syntax, according to Dictionary.com, deals with the “formation of grammatical sentences in a language.” So in other words, Obama regrets they way he said it, but not what he said."

Everyone knows he meant what he said, which was a slightly different version of what "cherokee Nation" Warren said before him, which goes back a hundred or so years and is a democrat staple which boils down to class envy and the lie that "everything belongs to everyone"

It means that Republicans have taken him out of context and continue to deliberately do so.

Even looking at it in context, it is not a well thought out line. Even spinning it toward the best possible light, it is still offensively worded to anyone that has put their entire life into starting and expanding/growing a business.

Everyone knows he meant what he said, which was a slightly different version of what "cherokee Nation" Warren said before him, which goes back a hundred or so years and is a democrat staple which boils down to class envy and the lie that "everything belongs to everyone"

Everyone?

In speeches and videos, the Romney campaign has repeatedly distorted Obama's words. By plucking two sentences out of context, Romney twists the president's remarks and ignores their real meaning.

The preceding sentences make clear that Obama was talking about the importance of government-provided infrastructure and education to the success of private businesses.

Romney also conveniently ignores Obama's clear summary of his message, that "the point is ... that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."

By leaving out the "individual initiative" reference, Romney and his supporters have misled viewers and given a false impression.

- PolitiFact

Ryan, like Romney and scores of Republicans in recent weeks, has used comments Obama made at July 13 campaign appearance in Virginia against him. But the rhetorical jab takes Obama out of context. Republicans have seized on only part of Obama's quote — "If you've got a business, you didn't build that" — but the full quote makes clear Obama is talking about the conditions that help businesses and individuals succeed, such as teachers and infrastructure.

- The Associated Press Fact Check

There’s no question Obama inartfully phrased those two sentences, but it’s clear from the context what the president was talking about. He spoke of government — including government-funded education, infrastructure and research — assisting businesses to make what he called “this unbelievable American system that we have.”

In summary, he said: “The point is … that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together.”

- FactCheck.org

Obama certainly could take from lessons from Warren or Roosevelt on how to frame this argument in a way that is less susceptible for quote-snipping. And Romney certainly could answer Obama’s argument by engaging in a serious discussion about whether the wealthy should pay much more in taxes as a matter of social good and equity. That would be grounds for an elevated, interesting and important debate.

But instead, by focusing on one ill-phrased sentence, Romney and his campaign have decided to pretend that Obama is talking about something different — and then further extrapolated it so that it becomes ridiculous. That’s not very original at all.

Three Pinocchios

- The Fact Checker, Washington Post

So that's basically everyone as long as your definition of everyone is no serious fact checking journalist in the world. Or Democrats. Or people that aren't screamingly Republican.

Edited by Tiggs

Even looking at it in context, it is not a well thought out line. Even spinning it toward the best possible light, it is still offensively worded to anyone that has put their entire life into starting and expanding/growing a business.

How many Directors in diapers do you know, exactly?

Then don't ask a question.

There you go not recognizing context again. Context, syntax are easy concepts. Thought you were a genius.

How many Directors in diapers do you know, exactly?

I'm not getting the Reference. ??

Your own post just said what I was trying to point out, that Obama's speech, in these couple lines were badly delivered (Or written). The fact they are said by many to be badly written/spoken leads directly to the assumption that it offends people, otherwise it would not be badly written/spoken. Those people being offended are American businesses. It seems really clear to me.

I'm not arguing that Romney or any republican is using the quote correctly. I'm saying that the quote taken as is has an offensive feel to it regardless of its context. The fact that Obama meant to say something about how business is aided by government and that government has been doing so for as long as the US has been around, does not excuse that he said something offensive.

There you go not recognizing context again. Context, syntax are easy concepts. Thought you were a genius.

My context recognition is perfectly fine, thanks. Yours - obviously not so much.

I'm not getting the Reference. ??

People don't spend their entire life's building businesses. They have this whole childhood thing that comes first, normally.

Your own post just said what I was trying to point out, that Obama's speech, in these couple lines were badly delivered (Or written). The fact they are said by many to be badly written/spoken leads directly to the assumption that it offends people, otherwise it would not be badly written/spoken. Those people being offended are American businesses. It seems really clear to me.

The only people that are offended are those that watch the Conservative Media and who have been told that it's offensive. You think that the people who were actually present for that speech were offended? The only reason that anyone even heard about it was because Fox News decided to pick it up, quote mine it and run the clip out of context to deliberately make Obama look bad.

I'm not arguing that Romney or any republican is using the quote correctly. I'm saying that the quote taken as is has an offensive feel to it regardless of its context. The fact that Obama meant to say something about how business is aided by government and that government has been doing so for as long as the US has been around, does not excuse that he said something offensive.

He said something that when taken entirely out of context could be seen as being offensive. Otherwise, there are several videos of Romney and other politicians the world over saying pretty much exactly the same thing.

I think anyone that read the word for word quote would have done a double take at that point. And had to go back and read the context again.

The fact that many neutral sources say it was poorly worded doesn't mean anything to you? Why would it be "poorly worded" unless there was a problem with it? Why would WH staffers and members of the DNC respond quickly to appologize and/or restate what was meant?

The simplest answer is because it was offensive to some in the Public. The reason Fox picked it up and is still running with it, is because it is actually offensive. Within context and without context.

I don't know who was in attendance at that speech, it could have been entirely government workers and union employees for all I know.

Edited by DieChecker

I think anyone that read the word for word quote would have done a double take at that point. And had to go back and read the context again.

But it wasn't written, Die. It was a speech made off the cuff without a teleprompter.

The fact that many neutral sources say it was poorly worded doesn't mean anything to you? Why would it be "poorly worded" unless there was a problem with it? Why would WH staffers and members of the DNC respond quickly to appologize and/or restate what was meant?

The simplest answer is because it was offensive to some in the Public. The reason Fox picked it up and is still running with it, is because it is actually offensive. Within context and without context.

The simplest answer is because it had been quote mined out of context. Outside of the context of the entire speech it is offensive. Within the context of the speech - not at all.

I don't know who was in attendance at that speech, it could have been entirely government workers and union employees for all I know.

Campaign Rally stop with 2,000 attendees.

People don't spend their entire life's building businesses. They have this whole childhood thing that comes first, normally.

The only people that are offended are those that watch the Conservative Media and who have been told that it's offensive. You think that the people who were actually present for that speech were offended? The only reason that anyone even heard about it was because Fox News decided to pick it up, quote mine it and run the clip out of context to deliberately make Obama look bad.

He said something that when taken entirely out of context could be seen as being offensive. Otherwise, there are several videos of Romney and other politicians the world over saying pretty much exactly the same thing.

Nope...sorry to burst your bubble. I've worked my ass off, as long as I can remember in my parent's business. When I read his speech and came across that particular part of it, it turned me off immediately. Why are people so resistant to the idea the only people who don't agree with Obama are Republicans/conservatives/racists that watch FOX news and not his supporters?

Even Obama admits it was a bad choice of words and yet his die hard fans are saying it was taken out of context?

Edited by Michelle

The simplest answer is because it had been quote mined out of context. Outside of the context of the entire speech it is offensive. Within the context of the speech - not at all.

I think we're just going to have to disagree. :yes:

I don't watch Fox News, incidentally. And I did overreact on the first couple pages of this thread, but even once I'd read the speech a couple times, I still found that part of it offensive. Like telling a chef he did not cook his own food without the help of the truckers who brought him the ingredients. Completely true, yet stupid to state out loud.

• Like 2

Nope...sorry to burst your bubble. I've worked my ass off, as long as I can remember in my parent's business. When I read his speech and came across that particular part of it, it turned me off immediately. Why are people so resistant to the idea the only people who don't agree with Obama are Republicans/conservatives/racists that watch FOX news and not his supporters?

Oh? For an Obama supporter, you sure do like a lot of Pro-Republican posts.

Even Obama admits it was a bad choice of words and yet his die hard fans are saying it was taken out of context?

"Those ads taking my words about small business out of context -- they're flat out wrong" - Obama

I think we're just going to have to disagree. :yes:

Well, that's the thing about Internet conversations. It's rare that anyone ever changes their initial position.

Which is generally why it's all about who can make the most compelling case.

I don't watch Fox News, incidentally. And I did overreact on the first couple pages of this thread, but even once I'd read the speech a couple times, I still found that part of it offensive. Like telling a chef he did not cook his own food without the help of the truckers who brought him the ingredients. Completely true, yet stupid to state out loud.

You find the idea that people need and rely on other people - that we live within an interconnected society - to be completely stupid?

You find the idea that people need and rely on other people - that we live within an interconnected society - to be completely stupid?

That's called egalitarianism. Not GOV.

It's called a society.

Call it what you want bro. It's all the same to those lining off the dole. If you put into it you deserve something back. This I understand. It's all good.

Edited by acidhead

Pro-Republican? Why can't someone feel a certain way without being labled? I won't vote for Obama or Romney. That doesn't mean I belong to the same party as the 3rd choice I vote for.

Obama said something stupid and offensive. Get over it.

- The only people not offended are those that watch the mainstream media and are told that it is not offensive.

- The people watching the speech were, of course, not ofended as they are leftists like yourself and fully agree with the premise that big daddy government is the single most improtant thing in a person's life.

- Thankfully there is a Fox news that brings these momentary glimpses of the real Obama to light instead of hiding the ugliness from the bright light of public scrutiny.

• Like 1

Gawd! The quote is not offensive because it is one little quote taken out of context. It is just one of many quotes that go to show overall context that Obama is anti Business and anti entrepreneur. Much of it has come out at the DNC. This is his character. This is not something taken out of context. If people don’t see that, it is because they are brainwashed. How many times did you see a speaker give high sounding platitudes and then turn around state to opposite? The impression that you are left with is that Democrats do not understand what makes America great, basic Capitalist concepts, and what got us here. This isn’t character misunderstood, this is character revealed.

"Those ads taking my words about small business out of context -- they're flat out wrong" - Obama

I openly admit I don't support Obama and never will. I never said I didn't lean right, but that I am neither a Republican or conservative. I do have Democrat friends and they aren't thrilled about his statement either.

As I said....

President Barack Obama told a local Virginia television station Wednesday that he had "regrets" for an ill-phrased remark attacked by Republicans -- "You didn't build that" -- but he stands by his larger point about infrastructure investment being necessary for businesses to succeed.

"Obviously I have regrets for my syntax," Obama said. "But not for the point, because everyone who was there watching knows exactly what I was saying."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/06/obama-you-didnt-build-that_n_1861096.html

I openly admit I don't support Obama and never will. I never said I didn't lean right, but that I am neither a Republican or conservative. I do have Democrat friends and they aren't thrilled about his statement either.

So if I change "Screamingly Republican" to "People that are obviously biased against Obama" - how about that?

As I said....

President Barack Obama told a local Virginia television station Wednesday that he had "regrets" for an ill-phrased remark attacked by Republicans -- "You didn't build that" -- but he stands by his larger point about infrastructure investment being necessary for businesses to succeed.

"Obviously I have regrets for my syntax," Obama said. "But not for the point, because everyone who was there watching knows exactly what I was saying."

http://www.huffingto..._n_1861096.html

So your plan is to take another one of his quotes out of context in order to justify why you took his first quote out of context?

• Like 1

So if I change "Screamingly Republican" to "People that are obviously biased against Obama" - how about that?

Why do you insist that people that do not support Obama are all republicans or biased. Some of us just do not like his resume.

• Like 1

Gawd! The quote is not offensive because it is one little quote taken out of context. It is just one of many quotes that go to show overall context that Obama is anti Business and anti entrepreneur. Much of it has come out at the DNC. This is his character. This is not something taken out of context. If people don't see that, it is because they are brainwashed. How many times did you see a speaker give high sounding platitudes and then turn around state to opposite? The impression that you are left with is that Democrats do not understand what makes America great, basic Capitalist concepts, and what got us here. This isn't character misunderstood, this is character revealed.

How, exactly, do you believe Obama to be both Anti-business and anti-entrepreneur?

Y'know - if he hasn't dismantled capitalism in the first four years, he's probably not going to do so in the next four years, either,