Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sensing a loved one's death

thedistant

My best friend passed away a couple years ago. He was one of the people in my life I've been closest to. We had an extremely strong bond.

The night it happened I felt something awful. I knew, in the pit of my soul, that something horrible was happening. I turned to my boyfriend and asked him not to take a planned business trip the next day. He thought I was acting crazy, but I continued hounding him, practically in tears, not to get on a plane, that I had an indelible feeling that something terrible was going to happen. I couldn't convince him. That night I couldn't sleep, was sweating and felt sick to my stomach all night. I was distraught to my core, compounded by the fact that Alex (my bf) wouldn't believe me, and insisted on taking his trip.

The next morning I went to work. I felt empty. Like something had been ripped out of my soul. I felt terrible. I pleaded with Alex a little more before leaving the house but he wasn't having it. I went to work and figured he'd be dead by the end of the day.

I realized mid-morning that my best friend's birthday was coming up, so I went to his Facebook page to ask him what he wanted to do. The first few posts on his wall were from other people that said things like "Man, I'm going to miss you." and "RIP" and "I will never forget you" and the like.

The room started spinning. I couldn't feel my body. I said "What?" out loud and read the posts again and again to make sure they were real. Everything felt disconnected and unstable and surrealistic. But a part of me knew it was real. I got up and splashed water in my face in the rest room. I went to the kitchen for some water and realized when I saw co-workers in there chatting that I was going to lose it, that the real world and I had collided and I couldn't stand to be there. In fact, I couldn't stand at all. I fell into the wall somewhat suddenly, which startled my co-workers and I apologized and ran out of the office saying I had to leave and would return later. They were concerned and confused and said not to go too far away. I went outside and made a phone call. I was told my friend had been partying. I knew what that meant......

I cried hard.

I called my boyfriend Alex who was in a car service en route to the airport and told him that Jerry had passed away, and not to worry about his trip. That I was sure what I had been feeling was this.

Alex was incredulous. He asked if he should turn around and come home, but I told him he didn't need to. In hindsight I probably needed the support, but at the time I knew it was an important business trip and in some sense felt relief that the trip wasn't what I was...feeling. So he went. When we talked on the phone and when he came home a few days later, he was amazed. Neither of us had ever experienced anything like this before. This was the first truly close loved one that I've lost. I have never in my life intuited/sensed anything so certainly, yet I was misjudging my feeling, seeing as how I spent my day-to-day with Alex, and projected my sense of fear onto him and my current/present situation, the here and now.

Nevertheless, I felt Jerry dying. It was the most horrible feeling I've ever had and I'll never forget it. I haven't talked to anyone in the past couple of years who could relate, so I figured I'd post this here. Sorry it's so long. Hopefully someone can relate a similar tale or introduce me to some online resource where I could learn more about this mysterious experience.

Edited by thedistant
  • Thanks 1

It was good that your friend could touch you in that way when he was in extremis. I wonder if he was thinking of you in that moment or if there was something else at work.... It seems to be a bond that few share. My condolence for your loss but I also am a bit envious of having a bond so strong... you were blessed.

• Like 1

This was a predestined event--all major life events are. Because the two of you were so close, your antenna, so to speak, was more attuned to this person than probably others. As the event of his death was approaching, those with ESP, intuition, premonition, whatever you'd like to call it, can sense it approaching. This is likely what happened to you. Here is an article explaining the generalities of the sixth sense phenomenon: http://www.spiritualresearchfoundation.org/articles/id/spiritualresearch/spiritualscience/sixthsense

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply @andthen, you're right that it was good that I could feel his last moments, and that I was blessed to have such a close relationship with such a special person. I didn't realize quite how close we were until this happened. Ironic maybe, and still brings tears to my eyes... I recognize the positive side of it, but the sadness is immense and so heavy at times.

@hearingcolors: Thanks for your input! I could be wrong, but it felt more like I was reaching through spacetime and feeling him (or vice versa!) and less like I was precogging the event in advance... That site is interesting, I especially liked this page: http://www.spiritualresearchfoundation.org/articles/id/spiritualresearch/spiritualscience/sixthsense/steps_sixth_sense

I've definitely felt these different levels of energies. Probably since I can remember. I'm especially familiar with the negative energies masquerading as positive energies. I'm going to read more on this!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

My Mother was awakened by her Grandfather's voice calling her name. She thought he must have pulled in the driveway and was outside. ....... no Grampa. She looked at the clock and went back to bed. Next morning she got a call from her Mom that Grandpa has passed away at the very time she heard his voice call her name. ...

Mom was always saying things like ... " i just know it " .. and she did!

• 6 years later...

To "thedistant",

One of my dearest friends died in a sudden accident two weeks ago. The accident occurred early on a Tuesday morning around 3 am. 

I was sleeping at the time but was suddenly awakened at the same time. 

I was awakened by the darkest, most oppressive emotion I've ever felt. It was a feeling of terrible desperation and almost demonic in its blackness. 

It lasted for two long minutes I'd guess. Not being a spiritual man i tried to dismiss it but knew it was such a horrible experience I could never forget it. 

Twelve hours later my best friends son called to tell me my friend died around that time in a freak accident. 

I'll never be the same person again. It's had a profound effects on me and I am suddenly finding great comfort in studying Christianity. 

Thank you so much for sharing.