Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The UM Music Hall

Isn't Nirvana 25 this year? Formed in 87, it's 2012. That's why I didn't choose them for under 25, I thought they were already 25. Or would they be considered 23 since their first album was in 89?

Yea I was going Nirvana too. If they count then I second this nomination.

Honestly I think The Beatles should be banned from these things. Its just not fair to everyone else. No one beats The Beatles.

For under 25 I nominate Florence and The Machine.

Edited by Kazoo

Isn't Nirvana 25 this year? Formed in 87, it's 2012. That's why I didn't choose them for under 25, I thought they were already 25. Or would they be considered 23 since their first album was in 89?

When I research their dates I go by the officially recognized date (year anyway) of their FORMING not their first album (for many acts its the same year anyway)..

I thought we we're going by their first bit of recorded material (which was early 1988 for Nirvana). Technically though, the band did form in 1987.

So if Nirvana counts for the "25 and older" grouping I'm gonna have to trouble Taun and redo my nominees, lol.

I'll do this:

25 and up: Nirvana (if they qualify), Neil Young (if Nirvana doesn't qualify)

Under 25: Nirvana (if they fall into this category, Radiohead (if Nirvana is in the "25 and up grouping" / seems they weren't recognized as "Radiohead" until 1991, but members were together in a group called "On A Friday" as early as 1985)

Dang... I'm starting to realize I'm older than I thought, lol

Edited by Angel Left Wing

You and me both Angel. That's part of the reason I had a hard time picking someone for the under 25 group.. A lot of performers have been around for longer than I thought.

• Like 1

NOMINATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR THIS ROUND.

Tomorrow morning I will post the groups/acts that have been nominated (for both categories) and voting will begin...

Ideally I would like little commentary during the voting - but that's probably not going to happen

- so I am asking everyone to please keep it civil, keep it friendly and allow others to vote as they see fit without trying to sway anyone...

(Not that you would, but....)

• Like 1

Here are the lists of Nominees:

Category 1 (1987 or older)

Alice in Chains (1987)

Bob Dylan (1961)

David Bowie (1964)

KISS (1973)

Led Zeppelin (1968)

Neil Young (1966)

Nirvana (1987)

Radiohead (1985)

Rush (1968)

The Beatles (1962)

The Ramones (1974)

Tom Waits (1972)

Category 2 (1988 and younger)

DJ Shadow (1989)

Florence and the Machine (2007)

Taylor Swift (2006)

(Radiohead was a bit difficult to place... It was'nt until 1991 that they became Radiohead - but the original group - "On a Friday" was the exact same group - with no line up changes (as far as I can find). Their name change was the studio's idea - not (entirely) theirs...)

Each UM member gets 1 vote per category... Voting will close this Thursday evening (about 8PM my time)... I will tally the votes and Friday Morning I will post the winners...

VOTING IS NOW OPEN

Beatles in category 1, abstain in category 2

The Beatles.

No vote for the second catagory.

(Taylor Swift in the Hall of Fame)?

KISS in category 1, and what the hell, Taylor Swift in category 2.

KISS in category 1, and what the hell, Taylor Swift in category 2.

For discussion sake, I need to ask. Did you choose KISS because you think they are most qualified or because they are not in the Rock and Roll HOF?

Obviously the Beatles and Led Zep are more qualified.

Catagory 1: Neil Young

Catagory 2: Do we have to select one? I could name someone that qualifies as "under 25" that apparently wasn't nominated - you know, like a "write-in" vote. :D

Seriously though, I didn't know that both Nirvana and Radiohead wouldn't be considered part of the "under 25" grouping or I would have nominated someone that I knew fell within that criteria that I wouldn't be embarressed to vote for.

Edited by Angel Left Wing

Of course you do not have to vote for a category if you do not agree with any of the nominees...

That was one reason I really wasn't too enthused about an under 25 category... actually a rather limited pool of acts...

Quick poll... should we have a minimum number of votes for the winner? If an act gets only 1 vote should they be considered the winner? (I would assume that an act will get at least one vote after all they WERE nominated by someone...)

Category 1, Rush

Category 2, Taylor Swift.

And yep, I was the one that nominated Taylor. I don't like her much, but I can see her having staying power. I was underwhelmed by the under 25 performers.

Category 1, Rush

Category 2, Taylor Swift.

And yep, I was the one that nominated Taylor. I don't like her much, but I can see her having staying power. I was underwhelmed by the under 25 performers.

But you wouldn't want to put someone in the HOF based on what they "might" do, would you?

But you wouldn't want to put someone in the HOF based on what they "might" do, would you?

Well, I also suggested over 25 being considered as Fame, and under 25 being considered for Nominee. They haven't truly hit the staying power of Fame yet. The title of the thread says Music Hall but leaves out the Fame part. So sure, since it isn't really a hall of fame, I'm willing to consider hopefuls too.

Led Zeppelin and Taylor Swift would be my vote.

I guess I am qualified to vote?

But getting back to my Quick Poll question...

Should we place a minimum on amount of votes received to declare a winner?

Edited by Taun

I think so.

I vote The Beatles.

And I can't vote for the 2nd as I don't know enough of any of them to say.

edit: Which is a funny thing to say for nominees of a hall of fame.

Edited by _Only

Yes. i think a minimum of 3 at this point.

Maybe let each person have 2 votes. Then have a percent that needs to be hit. I think everyone would agree the Beatles should be in, however many will vote for the one they nominated with their one vote. With 2 votes, we'd see:

Kiss/Beatles

Led Zep/Beatles

Neil Young/Beatles

Stuff like that.

Maybe? I don't think there would be much of a problem of minimum votes for the over 25... but with the way under 25 is going so far, perhaps a minimum wouldn't be a bad idea.

Okay... we'll try this for this round...

Category 1 - Simple majority wins - second highest Act automatically nominated for next round.

Category 2 - The winning act must garner at least 30% of the votes cast - this means that if 10

people vote - and 8 of them vote for other groups or "Abstain", no one from Cat 2 gets in. In

other words - the winning act would have to get at least 3 votes in this example. In case of no

winner the top vote getting act is automatically a nominee for the next round.

Okay... we'll try this for this round...

Category 1 - Simple majority wins - second highest Act automatically nominated for next round.

Category 2 - The winning act must garner at least 30% of the votes cast - this means that if 10

people vote - and 8 of them vote for other groups or "Abstain", no one from Cat 2 gets in. In

other words - the winning act would have to get at least 3 votes in this example. In case of no

winner the top vote getting act is automatically a nominee for the next round.

Sounds good to me :)

For discussion sake, I need to ask. Did you choose KISS because you think they are most qualified or because they are not in the Rock and Roll HOF?

Obviously the Beatles and Led Zep are more qualified.

I picked KISS mainly because of longevity. Obviously, most will vote for the Beatles. Led Zep was great but didn't stay together. I think some credit should be given to bands or artists who are still going today. Part of it also should be the impact left behind.