Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jellyfish Made From Rat Cells [merged]

jimbur

Now Frankenstein can have a pet jellyfish. A team of scientists has taken the heart cells of a rat, arranged them on a piece of rubbery silicon, added a jolt of electricity, and created a “Franken-jelly.” Just like a real jellyfish.

[media=]

[/media]

Read More.... http://www.wired.com...sh-heart-cells/

Interesting, but I do wonder if it would really be classified as a jellyfish due to the fact I don't know if it is considered to be something that is living.

Shouldn't play god......

• Like 1

Nice, now just make this ability into something useful.

Or start racing them, 10-1 odds on easy.

Thanks,

Rat muscle + rubbery film = world's first artificial jellyfish

I was reading last night that they made the world's first artificial jellyfish with muscles that were even contracting before the electricity was applied to simulate real movement of real jellyfish.

When electricity was applied, it moved like real jellyfish in liquid.

oJ012Z6gzyv298yu.jpg

http://www.csmonitor...icial-jellyfish

Edited by ozman

Shouldn't play god......

LOL. God gave us the ability to play. He knows all and made it possible for us. What a great Guy.

LOL. God gave us the ability to play. He knows all and made it possible for us. What a great Guy.

Well I'm not a believer in God, but I personally beleive that nature has had such a long time to perfect it's self etc and humans start doing it when compared to nature we are young.

Nature will always win, it will always find a way and we will never be able to fully conquer it. So playing "creator" in my opinion is a bad move. There is a fine balance on this planet (well there was until we started messing it up) and I jsut know that one day if ther eis an apocylapse of any kind. It will msot likely be from our own doing and msot likely through one of our "creations". In my opinion it will be natures way of saying "you went too far and now you need to learn". Sadly innocent children will suffer for the mistakes of scientists who want to "play god".

The CDC had a problem recently where the "bioterror" areas air system let our air from that area into an unprotected area. Luckily they said nobody got infected.... But it just takes one slight error (we are human) and bang.... Something could wipe us out. I don't mind them working on cures for bad viruses and diseases. But it's a bit different when they are CREATING the bad viruses etc to be used as weapons.

• Like 1

Well I'm not a believer in God, but I personally beleive that nature has had such a long time to perfect it's self etc and humans start doing it when compared to nature we are young.

Nature will always win, it will always find a way and we will never be able to fully conquer it. So playing "creator" in my opinion is a bad move. There is a fine balance on this planet (well there was until we started messing it up) and I jsut know that one day if ther eis an apocylapse of any kind. It will msot likely be from our own doing and msot likely through one of our "creations". In my opinion it will be natures way of saying "you went too far and now you need to learn". Sadly innocent children will suffer for the mistakes of scientists who want to "play god".

The CDC had a problem recently where the "bioterror" areas air system let our air from that area into an unprotected area. Luckily they said nobody got infected.... But it just takes one slight error (we are human) and bang.... Something could wipe us out. I don't mind them working on cures for bad viruses and diseases. But it's a bit different when they are CREATING the bad viruses etc to be used as weapons.

So every time a doctor saves a life, with even primitive medicine then is he "playing god" as you put it? Or should we all just accept what nature has in store for us, despite having the intelligence to put it right? Mankind has been "playing god" since we first came down from the trees if you want to put it that way.

Who picks and chooses what technologies we explore, not scientists but politicians my friend, and any apocalypse will be economic.

So every time a doctor saves a life, with even primitive medicine then is he "playing god" as you put it? Or should we all just accept what nature has in store for us, despite having the intelligence to put it right? Mankind has been "playing god" since we first came down from the trees if you want to put it that way.

Who picks and chooses what technologies we explore, not scientists but politicians my friend, and any apocalypse will be economic.

AS I SAID: It's alright when they are making cures for things, but when they are CREATING new strians of virus etc it's bad. (Which is common sense) Creating life is not good either. Ther eis a difference between saving lifes and creating life. There is also a huge difference between making cures for natural viruses etc and creating new deadlier ones. (which I think is the stupidist thing they do)

• Like 1

I have read a couple of articles about the franken-jelly and I still don't know how they keep the cells "alive".

There is a difference between saving lifes and creating life.

There is also a difference between attaching a few heart cells to a piece of silicone and creating life. Is applying electrical stimulus to the muscles in a detached frogs leg creating life? Because this is the exact same experiment.

Edited by BaneSilvermoon

I don't see how it could be considered life unless it feeds.

Not "life", merely a construct using heart cells which beat rhythmically. The cells will likely not live long and the "jellyfish" will become a slice of floating silicone once more.

Now when scientists can build one with artificial nematocysts, then I'll really be impressed.

Edited by Sundew

I hope all the rats that had to die for this experiment didn't die in vain.... Something good better come out of this. Sounds like they are just playing around to me.

Just what we needed ! Oooowww ahhhhhh ,our tax dollars at work ,with so many practical uses ! I'm so happy about this,I am plotzing !

Heart muscles contracting out of the body ! This is certainly a new novel concept !

May I repeat ,OOOOOOWWWWW AHHHHHHH

• Like 1

this isnt a clone, its a peice of ruber coated with living cells that swim and look like a jellyfish. i would estimate they are electricuting the water wen they want the thing to pump and swim. its not alive, just coated with hearth cells

I hope all the rats that had to die for this experiment didn't die in vain.... Something good better come out of this. Sounds like they are just playing around to me.

I agree so lets hope there is some practical use for what they are doing.