Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where you look shows what you're going to say

questionmark

Watch where you look – it can be used to predict what you'll say. A new study shows that it is possible to guess what sentences people will use to describe a scene by tracking their eye movements.

Moreno Coco and Frank Keller at the University of Edinburgh, UK, presented 24 volunteers with a series of photo-realistic images depicting indoor scenes such as a hotel reception. They then tracked the sequence of objects that each volunteer looked at after being asked to describe what they saw.

Other than being prompted with a keyword, such as "man" or "suitcase", participants were free to describe the scene however they liked. Some typical sentences included "the man is standing in the reception of a hotel" or "the suitcase is on the floor".

Read more

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• sickpuppy

• Sir Wearer of Hats

• spud the mackem

Popular Days

the eyes follow where the mind goes. /shrug

i expect we'll see the forerunner of this technology quite soon... no doubt watching what products we look at in the mall so it can tailor the radio advertisements we'll hear as we drive back home?

If they put an attractive woman in the picture, all the hetero males would be looking at would be her, no matter what they're describing ;)

• Like 3

If you have had some training in observing human behaviour, you can tell a lot from body movement and the eyes are most important, ie:- the pupils shrink when people lie,others look anywhere except at you,there is a book by Desmond Morris called Observing Human Behaviour,which is worth a look if anyone is interested.It certainly taught me a lot ref powers of observation in my work before I retired.