Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

not crazy~ unexplained soaking mattress

haeson012

I do not have a old mattress to try thi on, but I am damn near 100% sure, if someone were to pour that much water onto a mattress, it is not going to soak through, most will run off the edges.....

Get one of these, and film this or take pictures....I am finding this hard to believe.

Aller-Ease Durable Microfiber Waterproof Mattress Cover

The Aller-Ease Durable Microfiber Waterproof Mattress Cover allows you to enjoy allergen and waterproof protection night after night. The soft and smooth construction of this bed bug proof mattress cover effectively filters common household allergens like dust mites, pet dander and pollen from your mattress. Plus, this anti-allergy mattress cover is third-party lab tested to ensure that bed bugs cannot bite through the fabric. The polyester mattress cover is made of quality material to last a long time.

Aller-Ease Durable Microfiber Waterproof Mattress Cover:

• Protection from bed bugs, dust mites, allergens, pet dander and pollen
  • Waterproof protection from spills and stains
  • Allergist recommended
  • Specially developed for allergy and asthma sufferers
  • Backed by the Good Housekeeping seal
  • Fabric: polyester

http://www.walmart.c...tem Description

$20.00

Water coming through window/Wet mattress

Help me Hip Domestics, for I am in a little bit of a panic at the moment.

My bedroom is set up so there is a decent sized (~3-4 foot wide?) window in the outside wall. We have our bed against the wall with the head against the window. about ~2 weeks ago, I noticed a very wet spot by my nightstand - about a foot and a half in from the window, and about 6 inches off to the side of the window. i couldn't figure out what it came from, I thought that it may have been a mug that I usually keep water in had spilled. That still may have been it, I don't know for sure.

Tonight, I went to get ready for bed and notice the SAME spot is very wet again! Investigating a bit more and I find that the entire side of my mattress, box spring, wall, and carpet is wet. I moved the bed away from the wall, and tromped on towels to get water out of the carpet. We've had really strong thunderstorms here tonight. It was nice earlier, so I had the windows opened, but I closed them all when it started raining again. There was maybe 10 minutes when the windows were open and it was raining, and none of the other rooms that have windows on the same wall had the same sort of problem.

1 - Do I have a leak in my window - or did I maybe leave the window open a slight amount without realizing it? One of my curtains was pooled up on the window sill rather than falling in front of it, and it was soaked. I felt around the window, and the water must have come in at the bottom because the window was not wet at all anywhere else.

2 - What can I do to salvage my box spring/mattress? Google failed me - as it only gave me information regarding completely soaked (been through a flood) mattresses/box springs. It's only wet on the side, but it's pretty wet on that side. It was a cheap set, so if I have to get rid of it, so be it, but I'd really rather not if i don't have to. And what can I do to dry out my carpet? I'm concerned that this may cause a lovely mildew-y situation.

FYI, I live in an apartment, not a house, and I'm on the second (top) floor.

Thanks in advance everyone!

ETA: Thanks for the advice everyone - I had a fan running all last night, and the mattress seems almost completely dry now. The box spring and our carpet is still wet. By about ~20 minutes after I posted, the whole room smelled of mildew, and there was obviously some mildew-y stuff on the walls. We called maintenance because this was obviously something that has been leaking steadily and this latest rainstorm just brought it to light.

Our apartment maintenance came and checked things out - the leak was in the wall, not the window - they took the molding off the window, the insulation within the wall was soaked. They're leaving the molding off and they hammered a hole in the wall in the part that seemed the worst and they're going to leave it for a few days to let it dry out. Maintenance is going to bring a wet vac in today to get all the water out of the carpet. The reason for the leak? Our gutters haven't been cleaned in forever (as in, they are currently very pretty planters) and the water was overflowing and going in through the siding. Reminder to homeowners - clean your gutters! :)

Should I be concerned about potential mildew? They're going to patch the hole and repaint the area. Obviously I'll be checking pretty often for smell and dampness, but I'm still a bit worried.

Edited by Sakari

nope...haven't slept in the bed since. im on the couch....and it happened again...theres nothing on top of my bed as to blackets....bare mattress .... last night i put this powder subtance that absorbes liquids and becomes crumbly...well just got home at night to find majority dried out.....so i vacummed all the powder/crumb off....it got soaked again....and the door room was closed off....went to go use the bathroom and notcied it was soaked...again....we took a knife and ripped open the mattress....the yellow foam is so soaked the liquid was gushing out.....sounds like a prank....but theres no one else here to do this ****...

gee don't move the frikken bed. don't but a bucket or towel in the area to contain the water.

i think you are lying flat out.

• Like 1

seriously, try to record it, take a cheap camcorder or your cell phone, what have you....i'm not calling BS on that one until i saw a picture at least, so please, don't let me down here!

• Like 1

I always raise one eyebrow when someone titles a thread with "not crazy" <_<

To help eliminate the issues I recommend the following.

1.Move your bed to another location. If Wetting continues, then use a camcorder.

2. Put a tarp on your bed and then put newspaper or very absorbant towels on top of the tarp, This will make it easier to see if the water is coming from the ceiling.

3. If this is a single story house, check up stairs, Put a tarp or bucket and check the follow day to see any water leakage. Also look for pipes.

4. Get a camcorder. Seriously this is the best option.

5. Look close to ceiling, if water leaking in, you should see discolouration or a soggy look.

• Like 1

I agree.. set up a camcorder and try and capture something on video..

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I woke up this morning. There was a three foot soaking wet spot that covered half the bed. It wasn't pee or water leak. The back of my t-shirt was soaked and and the back of my boxers. The crotch and front of my boxers were bone dry. It would have taken at least a gallon of water to make this spot. I'm lost as to what it is.

Ever see the United States of Tara ?

Get a blacklight (you can get a really small one pretty cheap) and see if any of the moisture glows. Here is a site that tells what glows: http://www.ehow.com/facts_7415998_shows-up-under-blacklight.html

A camera running during the night would be great but I've never known anybody that had the money for that kind of outlay - would help dismiss an awful lot of stuff though. I'd say put baby or carpet powder around the bed and put up one of those pet/baby door lattices across your doorway, just for a night or two. Do you keep water next to you at night? Maybe you sleep walk or drink?

Do you have night terrors?

Me thinks the OP drinks a bit.

• Like 1

Sometime in the future, I'll be sitting in a rest home eating turkey through a straw while I watch the first Martian-Human Same Orifice Marriage and thinking "I wonder why that guy's bed was wet?"

• Like 1

Cthulhu?

• 5 years later...
On 7/23/2012 at 8:54 PM, haeson012 said:

new to this~ so...to be a skeptic and things of this nature happening....makes me crazy?!

happened about a month/half ago. i noticed a huge wet spot on my bed, thought it was the cat. it happened again a couple of days later...thought it was the puppy.....got angry that there was pee all over my bed, i started to put the pets in the laudry room. it happened again. but it was soaked! and cold! i was in the shower, came out and my bed was soaked! got a 7 yr old but theres no way she can carry that much amount of water back and forth to the bed, also the only water that was running was my shower. i checked the walls, windows, air duct..nothing was wet in the room but the mattress. so i changed the position of the bed....it happened again..... odorless, colorless, and cold. soaked through. i took a picture if the last time it happened. theres an impression on the top pillow with the liquid, the bottom pillow was bone dry, ..the mattress under the bottom pillow.....soaked.....i can't explain it...i'm not doing it to myself..theres no one else in this place to be doing it...someone help me towards the right direction.....

Its happening to me now... I need help and answers... I thought I peed the bed but the water seems to be coming from the mattress about chest high and I live in motels across the country. I have no home. I prayed I was peeing the bed but my boxers are never wet just the mattress. From chest to almost the top to the bed sheets seem to be ok top and bottom. seems to be soaking thru mattress???

16 hours ago, AquariusNaruto said:

Its happening to me now... I need help and answers... I thought I peed the bed but the water seems to be coming from the mattress about chest high and I live in motels across the country. I have no home. I prayed I was peeing the bed but my boxers are never wet just the mattress. From chest to almost the top to the bed sheets seem to be ok top and bottom. seems to be soaking thru mattress???

The person you've quoted probably won't respond to you. In your case it might just be night sweats. If this is a persistent thing, maybe you should speak to your doctor about it and get a check up. Could be a health issue.

• Thanks 1

On 7/23/2012 at 10:35 PM, Tiggs said:

My first guess would be some sort of leak in the bedroom ceiling from the cold water pipe that runs to your shower.

Try getting someone to keep watch while you have a shower.

Or...just a thought here...ahem...turn the shower on and just let it run while you lay on the bed and look at the ceiling...now there's an idea! Free of charge...

• Like 1

In the winter when the air is dryer inside, I typically keep a bottle of water on my nightstand by the bed. I don't have a central humidifier where I live now, so in the winter, Dec - Feb, it can get pretty dry in the house so I sometimes wake up feeling thirsty. That's why I just started keeping a bottle of water on my night stand. As someone already said, we get into all sorts of various sleep modes, and we're all different.

I have woken up looking for my bottle of water with results like 'It's empty', 'It's not even there', 'It's all spilled on the floor', 'It's actually in the bed, but still closed', and 'It is indeed spilled out in the bed and everything is soaked', etc.

We do strange stuff while sleeping, that we may not even remember.

I wouldn't be freaking out over this happening one time. 

Edited by Hyperionxvii
  • Like 2

The only time i had a wet mattress was when my waterbed leaked.

Hello

ignore the people who say "get video of it"

Question(s).

• any other weirdest happening?
  • any lie-style changes?
  • any new item brought into the house?( Thrift store, garage sale, gift, etc.)
  • any recent deaths, loss in the family or with friends?
  • any home renovations?

• The topic was locked

Folks, the OP posted once in 2012 and hasn't been back. As such, there's little point in trying to keep up the conversation with them. 

Thread closed. 

• Thanks 1