Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skydiver to Jump From Edge of Space

Karlis

Skydiver Felix Baumgartner to Jump From Edge of Space

Felix Baumgartner will go supersonic in August when he dives from 120 thousand feet. That's zero to 690 mph in 25 seconds -- a human body breaking the sound barrier without an airplane. Most people go to the edge of space or beyond in a rocket -- Baumgartner is going up in a capsule carried aloft by a huge helium balloon.

Read more

Felix Baumgartner's Test Jump

Diving from the edge of space with Felix Baumgartner

• Like 1

That is very cool. This sounds like the kind of extreme that Evil Knievel would have gone to back in his day.

I hope he doesn't end up going up too high and stepping out into 'no gravity' and floating off into space. :D

• Like 2

This has already been accomplished by a skydiver known as Joseph Kittinger, whom plummeted to our planet from a height of 19 miles. Mind-you, this was in the 1970s, without all of the fancy gear that they have today.

This has already been accomplished by a skydiver known as Joseph Kittinger, whom plummeted to our planet from a height of 19 miles. Mind-you, this was in the 1970s, without all of the fancy gear that they have today.

But that event wasn't sponsored by RedBull so it really doesn't count. :D

Good luck Felix.

I can't believe the record for this kind of jump is 52 years old!!

• Like 1

Wouldn't his head explode once he broke the sound barrier?

• Like 1

I'm thinking bad things would happen...

@Alienated Being - Joseph Kittinger is actually instructing Felix Baumgartner on this planned free fall.

Edited by Annabis
  • Like 2

Man I bet thats cool,Ive jumped out of planes before but that is quite a hight,Think Ill go jump next week with my friend,It is really a great view free falling .I really want to know what it looks like so high up,lucky man.

• Like 1

No,his head will not explode breaking the sound barrier.

Nothing new here but the advertisers its been done before but goodluck anyway and safe landing. :tu:

Nothing new here but the advertisers its been done before but goodluck anyway and safe landing. :tu:

It's actually 18000 ft higher. So it would be a new record. But it sounds like it would also have some research value for escape systems in a very narrow application. I wish him all the best. I hope he survives.
  • Like 1

If at first you don't succeed...He wont get the chance to try again...b....y maniac

• Like 1

I cannot see anyone surviving such a jump. I am glad I'm not his girlfriend .

I would love to do that. I only did about 15,000 feet.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The jump is scheduled for Tuesday, October 9, 23 miles above Roswell, New Mexico. Baumgartner will have a live cam streaming the event over the web.

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Red-Bull.com/001242745950125

I'll pray for the young man. I wish him and his family all the best.

• Like 1

RIP dude. he'll probably die when he breaks the sound barrier

That's why I'm hoping he will jump with some kind of gps locator thing attached to his body. If he dies mid-flight, there's no guarantee he'll land where everyone expects him to land and then the body hunt would be on.