Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange carcass washes up in NYC

tapirmusic

and Im assuming people get their drinking water from the same river this washed up out of, yummy.- I've looked and looked at this, and while it does resemble the rat species, it clearly has something wrong with it, the no hair reminds me of another picture I saw online of something they were calling a hairless dead chupacabra, it wasn't of course but this is what was written under the picture, but it had no hair like this, and the same color skin and teeth/ears. Either way, I will see this thing in my nightmares tonight, that image is hard to erase from your mind. - theres no doubt that things happen and are still happening that we can not explain, that we have yet to discover, but when I see things like this it makes me thing its the result of human created chemicals, etc. that change the characteristics of animals...like someone mentioned, it could even be a disease. But then again, what do I know, Im no scientist.

"Might" be a raccoon so still it is not a racoon

The Department Chair of Zoology at Weber State University Dr. Sam Zeveloff, now tells us that he and his colleagues think the mutilated creature is most likely a raccoon.

"Several of us here think it is a raccoon! Its dentition from what can be seen, most resembles a raccoon's; so do its fingers," he wrote in an email.

Thanks. :tu:

Yeah I'm seeing the raccoon paw more.

The Department Chair of Zoology at Weber State University Dr. Sam Zeveloff, now tells us that he and his colleagues think the mutilated creature is most likely a raccoon.

This does my head in... Can't they quickly test it so we know.. Seriously?!

I find it hilarious that a "zoologist" thinks it is a raccoon. So well done everyone in the thread who "thinks it is a raccoon you can now class yourself as Zoologists.. LOL

"Several of us here think it is a raccoon! Its dentition from what can be seen, most resembles a raccoon's; so do its fingers," he wrote in an email.

Still not IS.

It amazes me that these people even comment. They didn't help at all. Just DNA test the thing and tell us ffs.

Edited by Coffey

Hi Coffey.

Did anyone think to recover the carcass for DNA testing? To be honest, had it been me finding this creature, I would only have taken piccies. It is not worth the trouble, or the cost of taking it for further tests. Any animal that dies and then decomposes to the state in which this creature was found (specially if decomposition occured in the sea) will look unusual although most can be identified at scene or with sufficient photographs taken of the relevant parts of the animal, (teeth etc) and with an object within the photograph that can be used to identify the size of the animal.

I think the photographs are all we have and they are not the best in this case :)

• Like 1

Is that a fly on the creature's neck (second picture)?

If so, might it give some sort of scale?

Ugly little bugger though.

It's not a rat, they don't have teeth like that. The jaw is too broad. Rats have narrow jaws and their incisors are long both top and bottom. Also, rat tails at very distinct, looking almost scaley, and much longer.

This looks like a dog.

• Like 1

Hi Coffey.

Did anyone think to recover the carcass for DNA testing? To be honest, had it been me finding this creature, I would only have taken piccies. It is not worth the trouble, or the cost of taking it for further tests. Any animal that dies and then decomposes to the state in which this creature was found (specially if decomposition occured in the sea) will look unusual although most can be identified at scene or with sufficient photographs taken of the relevant parts of the animal, (teeth etc) and with an object within the photograph that can be used to identify the size of the animal.

I think the photographs are all we have and they are not the best in this case :)

Good point, just kinda frustrating when everyone wants to know, but zoologists just say the same as us. lol

• 4 weeks later...

Could be a mutated animal that washed up like all the others, very mysterious though, they should do this topic on the show fact or faked,

Still no solid answer on this one yet?

I am still going with rodent...

Just not sure which one.

Wth is that shiz stickin out of its mouth??? :hmm: Looks like bark.

That would make it some breed of dog then, surely?

I find it hilarious that a "zoologist" thinks it is a raccoon. So well done everyone in the thread who "thinks it is a raccoon you can now class yourself as Zoologists.. LOL

Classic scientific tactic. Means you can say "it's pretty much this" but just get away with it ifo n the very small chance it turns out to be "that". You'll very, very rarely get a scientist says something is 100% certain. I know because when I was at Uni we were encouraged to adopt this tactic; strangely enough in Zoology :P So if it comes from a scientist I tend to read it as "yeah, I reckon this is the case, but I'm just covering my bahookie...... just in case....."

Edited by Urisk
  • Like 1

Not a rat. The teeth are wrong. This has teeth along the jaw line, rats don't. They have incisors at the front, then nothing, then large grinding back teeth (something I wish people who put rats into animation and such would realise; they don't have rows of big pointed teeth!). The eyes are also too small in comparison to the head, rats have relatively large eyes.

• Like 1

You can rarely trust what your eyes see when it comes to something washed up on the beach. Whatever the thing you're looking at is has been swept around, gnawed on, rubbed raw by sand, and steeped in seawater for God-knows-how-long. Take the "Plesiosaur" carcasses that have been found washed up, that turned out to be basking sharks--determined through DNA testing, NOT staring at the thing and trying to come up with solutions. I agree, looking at the tail and the feet it's probably a grossly bloated rat. Also, if you look closely at the green thing in the sand next to it, that's a piece of sea glass and judging by the color it's from a ginger ale or lager bottle. That'll give us a bit of an indication of its size. In short, not very big. MAYBE the size of an obese Jack Russel terrier.

I agree, looking at the tail and the feet it's probably a grossly bloated rat.

It isn't a rat. Trust me. I've owned rats for 16 years, I've post mortem'd a good deal of my own, I am familiar with what they look like from all angles, and internally, and this isn't a rat.

The hands are wrong, for one. Rats have shorter, thicker fingers, and they do not have the 'thumb' like digit this animal does. They do have a tiny little nub of a thumb, but not a clear long digit like this. Rats also have very distinct 'bumps' on the pads of their feet, they are not smooth.

It looks like you can see its 'bellybutton' for wont of a better word, or the scar where it was, similar to what you see on dogs. You do not see this on rats, theirs is not visible, even on hairless rats.

If you look at the last pic, look at the bottom jaw. See the teeth? You can ever see canine teeth in the bottom jaw. Rats don't have mouths like this. They don't have canine teeth, nor any teeth along their jaw, they just have large front incisors, and big grinding teeth at the back, too far back to see.

The eye is also not situation close enough to where the ear starts.

I believe this to be a raccoon. Its certainly not any rat species.

• Like 2

I've also owned Rats for most of my adult life and the teeth, tail, feet...eyes...etc are ALL wrong. Also cannot be a pig. HOOVES? I say it's a bloated raccoon. Nothing more, nothing less. Really no mystery here.

• Like 1

It isn't a rat. Trust me. I've owned rats for 16 years, I've post mortem'd a good deal of my own, I am familiar with what they look like from all angles, and internally, and this isn't a rat.

The hands are wrong, for one. Rats have shorter, thicker fingers, and they do not have the 'thumb' like digit this animal does. They do have a tiny little nub of a thumb, but not a clear long digit like this. Rats also have very distinct 'bumps' on the pads of their feet, they are not smooth.

It looks like you can see its 'bellybutton' for wont of a better word, or the scar where it was, similar to what you see on dogs. You do not see this on rats, theirs is not visible, even on hairless rats.

If you look at the last pic, look at the bottom jaw. See the teeth? You can ever see canine teeth in the bottom jaw. Rats don't have mouths like this. They don't have canine teeth, nor any teeth along their jaw, they just have large front incisors, and big grinding teeth at the back, too far back to see.

The eye is also not situation close enough to where the ear starts.

I believe this to be a raccoon. Its certainly not any rat species.

I was wondering about the teeth. We had three pet rats when I was a kid, but I never looked into their mouths, haha. Thanks for giving us the details, though! I felt like I ought to be taking notes or something. =)

BTW, with your rats, have you noticed their personalities relating to yours, or that of whoever their owner is? My sister and brother and I each had one, and our respective rats took on aspects of our own personalities to the point that it was almost comical. Since all three of them did that, I wondered if that was a common feature in rats. We had a lot of different animals, and none of the others ever did this. Anyway, just curious.

I don't care what it is, poor thing, but hope someone had the decency to dispose of the corpse so it isn't still lying there.

Ha ha ha is this topic still going. :tu:

• Like 1

Ha ha ha is this topic still going. :tu:

Lol, and I am still appearing every 50 posts to say 'its a rodent'...

• Like 3

Lol, and I am still appearing every 50 posts to say 'its a rodent'...

Ha ha ha go for a new world record of 65 posts. ps: I like the new and improved pic :tu:
  • Like 1