Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The myth behind the Olympics

UM-Bot

Victoria Grossack: The official ancient Olympics began in 776 BCE in Olympia, Greece, whose ruins you can visit today. However, the ancient Olympics were based on even earlier athletic exploits. Some say that the inspiration was Herakles (Hercules), others cite the funeral games in The Iliad, and others talk about the Nemean games conducted by those going to war against Thebes. But the founding myth that goes back the furthest belongs to a hero called Pelops.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article
  • Like 3

Thanks, like Khaleid I enjoyed reading your article, I'm a sucker for ancient history.

Edited by Codeblind
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the article. Great information. As Code said, "Sucker for ancient history."

Tomorrow is the last day of the 2012 (Roman numeral XXX) Summer Olympiad and Londoners will pass the olympic torch to Brazil for the 2016 or XXXI Summer Olympiad to Rio de Janeiro. About 3 or 4 cities are placing a bid on the 2020 (or 2024) summer olympics: Istanbul, Turkey; Madrid, Spain; Tokyo, Japan and I believe Doha, Qatar unless they dropped out. Only one US city: Tulsa, Oklahoma placed its name on the list, but IOC officials do not favor another North American city for the 2020 and to host the 2022 (or 2026) winter olympics.