Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Olympic Ceremony Heathcare Propaganda

acidhead

I beliieve that most people are better off with a welfare state. I also can point to the American state which supposedly is closer to what you want but has developed a survaliance culture with sever restraints on personal freedoms and the ever present threat of arrest without due process.

I have demonstrated to you that the result of your ideological drive to privatise the health service would likely lead to a halving of efficiency (comparing the privitised american system to the NHS) and a considerable shrinkage of cover for the less well off members of society. You see you are a perfect example of where the right ignores evidence that your ideas do not produce the best results but you would drive them through anyway.

I have said it before and will say it again - which ever solution works is the best solution and park your ideology at the door.

The logical conclusion of reduction of state intervention in business is eventually to do away with the state. How much state is enough for you - just enough to ensure contracts are honoured, or enough to ensure that citizens don't starve. Have you thought about the logical conclusion of the rights ideology - everyone looking out for themselves and paying no taxes.

In direct response to your question - I believe in enough state to make certain that citizens can walk the streets and not starve, enough state to ensure that businesses and citizens do not destroy their environment, just enough state to ensure that the terrritory can be defended, just enough state to ensure that all children recieve an excellent education regardless of means, just enough state to negotiate internation treaties. Unfortunately a lot of state - but just enough.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

The Conservative dream of a stateless country where the free hand of the market sorts out all problems is as fanatical as the theological dream of a perfect state, never been tried and never worked. Thats the problem with ideology - its perfect in your head but never works in reality.

Br Cornelius

That is most certainly not the "Conservative dream". Your post is once again proof that the media intentionally misleads the public. The "dream" is a country that is run by the states, not by a small group of people sitting in Washington. The idea results in minimal federal government that exists only to protect the people's rights. That does include reasonable regulations on big business, just so you know. This all but eliminates the need for an income tax, and reduces taxes so dramatically because a state only needs to spend what that state needs. Pennsylvania knows where it needs to spend money better than Washington does, for example. I can certainly distribute my own money in a better manner than Washington can. This idea inspires competition between the states, which obviously promotes even more prosperity. It is not the federal government's duty to take care of us. It simply doesn't work, and all of the FAILED (this is a fact) social programs are proof of that.

I don't know how much Fox News you watch, if you do, just stop. They represent true conservatives horribly, and they are nothing more than lackeys for the disgrace that the Republican Party has become.

I believe that most people are better off with a welfare state. I also can point to the American state which supposedly is closer to what you want but has developed a survaliance culture with sever restraints on personal freedoms and the ever present threat of arrest without due process.

I have demonstrated to you that the result of your ideological drive to privatise the health service would likely lead to a halving of efficiency (comparing the privitised american system to the NHS) and a considerable shrinkage of cover for the less well off members of society. You see you are a perfect example of where the right ignores evidence that your ideas do not produce the best results but you would drive them through anyway.

I have said it before and will say it again - which ever solution works is the best solution and park your ideology at the door.

Br Cornelius

You mean like the USSR? With all due respect, I had to stop reading there. You're losing credibility, friend. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you miswrote.

I beliieve that most people are better off with a welfare state. I also can point to the American state which supposedly is closer to what you want but has developed a survaliance culture with sever restraints on personal freedoms and the ever present threat of arrest without due process.

I have demonstrated to you that the result of your ideological drive to privatise the health service would likely lead to a halving of efficiency (comaring the privitised american system to the NHS) and a considerable shrinkage of cover for the less well off members of society. You see you are a perfect example of where the right ignores evidence that your ideas do not produce the best results but you would drive them through anyway.

Br Cornelius

The NHS is not like the army it isnt efficient or cost effective.

You buy a packet of parcetomal from the shop for £1 - £2 they buy it in for £6. A private hospital buys a heart monitor for £800 they pay £10,000 for it. This is tax payers money being wasted on higher than market prices.

You injure yourself you queue for 4 hours to get seen too. Why? The answer is most NHS employees are not of the medical variety. They are managers and office workers not nurses and have been employed to cope with the ever expanding beaurcracy and red tape.

My stance is not ideological its about cost. If the NHS was the cheaper option for the state as a whole then it would be the right choice. However it isnt its a joke. Its a budget blackhole.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

You mean like the USSR? With all due respect, I had to stop reading there. You're losing credibility, friend. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you miswrote.

Have I ever expressed a single word of support for the USSR ?? Do I believe that state communism has ever worked. However you may not realise it but social democracy is not state communism - despite what the right wing propagandist might claim.

Its very simple really - just go to any street in Germany, Sweden, France, Britian and Ireland and ask the simple question - would you rather live with a welfare state or move to America. The overwhelming majority would say that they would stick with the welfare state they have. That may seem incredible to you as an American - but it is entirely true.

People hear all the time about how people lose their home's and end up destitute if they fall seriously ill in America, and that a significant proportion of Americans have no health cover. Its that simple - live with a welfare state and have no fear of losing evrything in bad times - or live the American system.

I never watch Fox - but I really think you should stop watching it yourself. You have some bizarre ideas about what constitutes a functional nation state. You are obviously a Tea Party fan but you probably don't realise that the Tea Party is primarily funded by Corporate interests who want to see a contraction of federal regulation to improve their private profits. That means a reduction in environmental standards which means more pollution and poorer health for the average American.

Would you believe that despite the horrendous mess the Greeks have made of their own governance - the overwhelming majority of their citizens trust the EU more than their own Government and are terrified of leaving the EURO and returning to the corrupt days of the Dracma.

The primary reason why American are so distrustful of their Federal Government is because it sucks over half of the GDP into a war machine which is used to fund expansionist foreign adventures. That is a decision of the Government and has nothing to do with the intrinsic nature of a Federal Government, it has caused huge suffering on a national scale and led to a massive national debt which you can never pay back. The funny thing is that the Republicans talk big about cutting federal spending - but say almost nothing about the elephant in the room which is a run away military budget. Solve the real problem rather than looking for scapegoats.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

The NHS is not like the army it isnt efficient or cost effective.

You buy a packet of parcetomal from the shop for £1 - £2 they buy it in for £6. A private hospital buys a heart monitor for £800 they pay £10,000 for it. This is tax payers money being wasted on higher than market prices.

You injure yourself you queue for 4 hours to get seen too. Why? The answer is most NHS employees are not of the medical variety. They are managers and office workers not nurses and have been employed to cope with the ever expanding beaurcracy and red tape.

My stance is not ideological its about cost. If the NHS was the cheaper option for the state as a whole then it would be the right choice. However it isnt its a joke. Its a budget blackhole.

Just answer the question, no more dancing around - no more denial - is the cost of health care in America about twice that of the NHS per capita ? How do you define efficiency if not by cost per unit production. Does adminsitration take up a larger proportion of healtrh costs in America ?

Please support your belief with evidence.

I am really getting bored of you not answering that question.

Until you can demonstrate that your belief in a private insurance based system is cheaper per capita and support that assertion with an example, then you are expressing an ideological belief - nothing more.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Have I ever expressed a single word of support for the USSR ?? Do I believe that state communism has ever worked. However you may not realise it but social democracy is not state communism - despite what the right wing propagandist might claim.

Its very simple really - just go to any street in Germany, Sweden, France, Britian and Ireland and ask the simple question - would you rather live with a welfare state or move to America. The overwhelming majority would say that they would stick with the welfare state they have. That may seem incredible to you as an American - but it is entirely true.

People hear all the time about how people lose their home's and end up destitute if they fall seriously ill in America, and that a significant proportion of Americans have no health cover. Its that simple - live with a welfare state and have no fear of losing evrything in bad times - or live the American system.

I never watch Fox - but I really think you should stop watching it yourself. You have some bizarre ideas about what constitutes a functional nation state. You are obviously a Tea Party fan but you probably don't realise that the Tea Party is primarily funded by Corporate interests who want to see a contraction of federal regulation to improve their private profits. That means a reduction in environmental standards which means more pollution and poorer health for the average American.

Would you believe that despite the horrendous mess the Greeks have made of their own governance - the overwhelming majority of their citizens trust the EU more than their own Government and are terrified of leaving the EURO and returning to the corrupt days of the Dracma.

The primary reason why American are so distrustful of their Federal Government is because it sucks over half of the GDP into a war machine which is used to fund expansionist foreign adventures. That is a decision of the Government and has nothing to do with the intrinsic nature of a Federal Government, it has caused huge suffering on a national scale and led to a massive national debt which you can never pay back. The funny thing is that the Republicans talk big about cutting federal spending - but say almost nothing about the elephant in the room which is a run away military budget. Solve the real problem rather than looking for scapegoats.

Br Cornelius

The USSR was a true and complete welfare state. That's why the most famous images of that period are of people waiting hours for a bread handout. Just because it works on paper and in your head (to quote you) doesn't mean it's going to work in real life. Britain and the rest of Europe have a ways to go to get to that point, but they are surely headed that way.

I actually agree with a lot of what you've written, especially about the military. I mentioned all of this earlier. Following your own logic, do you still believe that it's wrong to distrust a government that has proven to never have the people's best interests at heart? Taking it a step further, do you honestly believe that the eventual singular government of Europe will act any differently? Or the governments there now? It's within human nature to become greedy and lust for power. There is no such thing as a benevolent king/dictator because of human nature. The founders of my country knew this because they learned from examples throughout history.

How proud were you of your UN and NATO when they decided to bomb Libya? Please don't tell me you buy all of this war propaganda about Iran either, because the UN is leading WITH the U.S. on that front. The idea of a "new world order" is real. The government gives in order to buy votes, which increases their power. It's all so simple if we step back and break it down piece by piece instead of molecule by molecule.

Here's a video of Paul once again telling it like it is about Iran. The war drums have been beating in the UN as loudly as they have been over here. Wake up.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Legaia

The USSR was a true and complete welfare state.

That bullpoop can only be spouted by those who have never seen the USSR. It was the most classist state to ever exist, the aristocracy was the Politburo, the middle class the party members and the rest had neither voice nor rights.

The USSR was a true and complete welfare state. That's why the most famous images of that period are of people waiting hours for a bread handout. Just because it works on paper and in your head (to quote you) doesn't mean it's going to work in real life. Britain and the rest of Europe have a ways to go to get to that point, but they are surely headed that way.

I actually agree with a lot of what you've written, especially about the military. I mentioned all of this earlier. Following your own logic, do you still believe that it's wrong to distrust a government that has proven to never have the people's best interests at heart? Taking it a step further, do you honestly believe that the eventual singular government of Europe will act any differently? Or the governments there now? It's within human nature to become greedy and lust for power. There is no such thing as a benevolent king/dictator because of human nature. The founders of my country new this because they learned from examples throughout history.

How proud were you of your UN and NATO when they decided to bomb Libya? Please don't tell me you buy all of this war propaganda about Iran either, because the UN is leading WITH the U.S. on that front. The idea of a "new world order" is real. The government gives in order to buy votes, which increases their power. It's all so simple if we step back and break it down piece by piece instead of molecule by molecule.

Here's a video of Paul once again telling it like it is about Iran. The war drums have been beating in the UN as loudly as they have been over here. Wake up.

[media=]

[/media]

The European union is not on the way to becoming a communist state, neither are any of its constituant member - mere right wing propaganda. The EU has no standing army and almost no military budget. I have little fear that it is going the way of America. If anything the EU is on course to becoming an Italian style fascist state - rather like contempory America.

Governments of any size (including state governments) can become corrupt. If you have a corrupt Government then unfortunately it is at least in part because "you" failed to vote in a government which serves your interest. You may have been asleep on the job - but its still your fault as a citizen. Destroying the state as you propose serves the interest of corporation, do you really believe that your interest are best served or even the same as corporations ? For me the answer is definately no. The reason that we are in the mess we are in is because corporations have corrpted the political process with well financed lobbyists. Do away with state regulation of corporations and they have won in their overall strategy and you have become prey to the whims of organisation who have no other interest than to increase profits (by law that is).

These are dangerous times and the opportunity that is presented to us to rest back control of our destiny may well be hi-jacked by corporations Then we are in real **** as there will be no social provision and when the corporations move offshore (to increase profits) you will be left behind to starve.

Corporations need to be constrained by strong Governments - not the other way round.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Guest

Evidence please

The European union is not on the way to becoming a communist state, neither are any of its constituant member - mere right wing propaganda. The EU has no standing army and almost no military budget. I have little fear that it is going the way of America. If anything the EU is on course to becoming an Italian style fascist state - rather like contempory America.

Governments of any size (including state governments) can become corrupt. If you have a corrupt Government then unfortunately it is at least in part because "you" failed to vote in a government which serves your interest. You may have been asleep on the job - but its still your fault as a citizen. Destroying the state as you propose serves the interest of corporation, do you really believe that your interest are best served or even the same as corporations ? For me the answer is definately no. The reason that we are in the mess we are in is because corporations have corrpted the political process with well financed lobbyists. Do away with state regulation of corporations and they have won in their overall strategy and you have become prey to the whims of organisation who have no other interest than to increase profits (by law that is).

These are dangerous times and the opportunity that is presented to us to rest back control of our destiny may well be hi-jacked by corporations Then we are in real **** as there will be no social provision and when the corporations move offshore (to increase profits) you will be left behind to starve.

Corporations need to be constrained by strong Governments - not the other way round.

Br Cornelius

The EU is becoming more and more socialist and the EU itself is a socialist project.

Your worldview, as is evident in numerous threads you comment in, requires corporations and politicians to all be corrupt. While a small percentage of them will be the vast majority arent which is where your reasoning falls down.

A small percentage of human beings have personality disorders causing them to engage in criminal and corrupt activities. The problem is with them not corporations and they exist throughout society not just in the workplace. While they go unchecked under a socialist government under a conservative government polices are put into place to eliminate it.

We promote family values to eliminate the development problems children encounter during childhood which cause personality disorders and we promote personal responsibility towards others. These things are missing under socialism because socialists legislate they dont develop the mentality in the population to have freedom.

Now the UK healthcare costs. The US is a different country so the cost of its healthcare is irrelevant and I dont know why you're trying to pull that one on me as I dont have an IQ of 80. Lets compare private UK healthcare with NHS healthcare. Something which we can do as we have private hospitals here in the UK like Bupa. Bupa starts at £12.12 a month and in a 40 hr a week minimum wage job you pay more than that in NICs per week. You've already had this pointed out to you too.

Reducing employee + employer NIC contributions down to a couple of percent is enough to create a slush fund to cover those who fall through the healthcare gap while everyone else enjoys private healthcare. You have no argument.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Its your grasp of reality thats the problem.

Nazi Germany was national socialist

China is socialist

Notice the national part is missing? Thats what makes the two states different from each other. Both were or are left-wing extremists however Germany combined it with fascism (extreme nationalism).

yes that is why hitlers first targets were the trade unions he then lowered workers wages to create wage slaves .this sounds a lot like what you advocate.

• Like 1

Answer the question - Do you believe in minimum freedoms, lots of regulations and laws controlling peoples lives and lots of social programs with high taxes to fund them? Do you believe it should be forced onto everyone else to suit the few? If they resist do you think its acceptable to send the heavies around and give them a corrective beating?

'The Conservative dream of a stateless country' what planet are you on? First we are fascists now we are anarchists. You're making a fool of yourself as anybody can see through you Mr Stalin.

no i dont but the conservatives just either make people work for effectively nothing or let them and there children starve or die from simple medical conditions so wealthy people dont have to stand and wait.

Evidence please

speak to people who are not so full of there own p*** and importance as yourself and that should be all the evidence you need .

• Like 1

That is most certainly not the "Conservative dream". Your post is once again proof that the media intentionally misleads the public. The "dream" is a country that is run by the states, not by a small group of people sitting in Washington. The idea results in minimal federal government that exists only to protect the people's rights. That does include reasonable regulations on big business, just so you know. This all but eliminates the need for an income tax, and reduces taxes so dramatically because a state only needs to spend what that state needs. Pennsylvania knows where it needs to spend money better than Washington does, for example. I can certainly distribute my own money in a better manner than Washington can. This idea inspires competition between the states, which obviously promotes even more prosperity. It is not the federal government's duty to take care of us. It simply doesn't work, and all of the FAILED (this is a fact) social programs are proof of that.

I don't know how much Fox News you watch, if you do, just stop. They represent true conservatives horribly, and they are nothing more than lackeys for the disgrace that the Republican Party has become.

see here is the issues you live in a country that has state goverments we dont .there is really no comparison between the american right and the u.k right .our conservative party was set up to protect land owners from peasents who wanted to own something and not be subervient to some slack jawed idiot who thought he was importand because his great grandmother had a b****** child to some p***ant lord or a king so thought it was there right to abuse the workers .we have a second house in our goverment that is not elected they are there because they are lords .that means that they are friends with the prime minister or they are there by birth right .our conservative party still holds these views they dress it up and gain support by spouting garbage about scroungers ,welfare cheats and immigrants.they biggest cheats and scroungers are the conservatives themselves as demonstrated by our tax dodgeing little facist friend mr right wing.

they want rid of the fairest most efficent healthcare system in the world because they see profit in the misery of the peasent classes,it is simply another opportunity to them to exploite the most needey in our society to gain more personal wealth for our ruling classes.

it can be seen in everything they propose .its like privatising prisons so they can make profits from a child being raped or murdered everything they do is immoral shallow and has to be opposed at all costs .take the recent military cuts what seems to have slipped under the radar is in the statment on it our defence minister said any shortfalls in defence would be made up by increased use of reservists and private contractors? more use of the private sector to make money from misery .the whole right wing in the u.k is an utter disgrace and based on an out dated and unfair social model .

The EU is becoming more and more socialist and the EU itself is a socialist project.

Your worldview, as is evident in numerous threads you comment in, requires corporations and politicians to all be corrupt. While a small percentage of them will be the vast majority arent which is where your reasoning falls down.

A small percentage of human beings have personality disorders causing them to engage in criminal and corrupt activities. The problem is with them not corporations and they exist throughout society not just in the workplace. While they go unchecked under a socialist government under a conservative government polices are put into place to eliminate it.

We promote family values to eliminate the development problems children encounter during childhood which cause personality disorders and we promote personal responsibility towards others. These things are missing under socialism because socialists legislate they dont develop the mentality in the population to have freedom.

Now the UK healthcare costs. The US is a different country so the cost of its healthcare is irrelevant and I dont know why you're trying to pull that one on me as I dont have an IQ of 80. Lets compare private UK healthcare with NHS healthcare. Something which we can do as we have private hospitals here in the UK like Bupa. Bupa starts at £12.12 a month and in a 40 hr a week minimum wage job you pay more than that in NICs per week. You've already had this pointed out to you too.

Reducing employee + employer NIC contributions down to a couple of percent is enough to create a slush fund to cover those who fall through the healthcare gap while everyone else enjoys private healthcare. You have no argument.

i am sure i have told you this before bupa does not can not and could never provide emergency care diabetes care cancer care or in fact anything other than a push to the front of the surgery list for 12.12 a month in fact for that you would probably get to see a surgeon

then have to pay extra for the operation to follow. seriously if you had a clue what you were on about you may have an argument but you dont.

speak to people who are not so full of there own p*** and importance as yourself and that should be all the evidence you need .

There is no need to speak to someone like that. Even if you dislike what they are saying.

see here is the issues you live in a country that has state goverments we dont .there is really no comparison between the american right and the u.k right .our conservative party was set up to protect land owners from peasents who wanted to own something and not be subervient to some slack jawed idiot who thought he was importand because his great grandmother had a b****** child to some p***ant lord or a king so thought it was there right to abuse the workers .we have a second house in our goverment that is not elected they are there because they are lords .that means that they are friends with the prime minister or they are there by birth right .our conservative party still holds these views they dress it up and gain support by spouting garbage about scroungers ,welfare cheats and immigrants.they biggest cheats and scroungers are the conservatives themselves as demonstrated by our tax dodgeing little facist friend mr right wing.

they want rid of the fairest most efficent healthcare system in the world because they see profit in the misery of the peasent classes,it is simply another opportunity to them to exploite the most needey in our society to gain more personal wealth for our ruling classes.

it can be seen in everything they propose .its like privatising prisons so they can make profits from a child being raped or murdered everything they do is immoral shallow and has to be opposed at all costs .take the recent military cuts what seems to have slipped under the radar is in the statment on it our defence minister said any shortfalls in defence would be made up by increased use of reservists and private contractors? more use of the private sector to make money from misery .the whole right wing in the u.k is an utter disgrace and based on an out dated and unfair social model .

Oooookay

I think that there are deeper issues going on with this member.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

So, name one country that is or has been run on left wing principles that works to the benefit of the country & it's people?

So, name one country that is or has been run on left wing principles that works to the benefit of the country & it's people?

Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland.

How much people will benefit from any government stance does not depend in the governments philosophy but on how functional/dysfunctional the government is.

Edit: OOps that is 4.

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 2

Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland.

How much people will benefit from any government stance does not depend in the governments philosophy but on how functional/dysfunctional the government is.

Edit: OOps that is 4.

And that was the best list you could come up with! They're about as left wing as the UK is. Each of the countries you give as examples are either coalitions or alliances.

Sweden :-

"The Alliance won a plurality of 173 seats, but remained two seats short of a 175-seat majority. Nevertheless, neither the Alliance, nor the left block chose to form a coalition with the Sweden Democrats, and the Alliance is currently governing as a minority government."

link :- http://en.wikipedia....Sweden (scroll down to the current party line up chart)

Norway :-

"Historically, both the Norwegian Labour Party and Conservative Party have played leading political roles, while the former has remained in power since the 2005 election, in a Red-Green Coalition with the Socialist Left Party and the Centre Party

Since then, both the Conservative Party and the Progress Party have won great amount of seats in the Parliament, however, as of the 2009 general election, not sufficient enough to overthrow the coalition"

link :- http://en.wikipedia....ative_divisions

Denmark :-

"Following the September 2011 election the right wing lost by a small margin to the opposing left-wing coalition, led by Helle Thorning-Schmidt who on 3 October 2011 formed a new government consisting of the Social Democrats, the Danish Social Liberal Party and the Socialist People's Party"

link :- http://en.wikipedia....olitical_system

Finland :-

"As no one party ever dominates the parliament, Finnish cabinets are multi-party coalitions. As a rule, the post of prime minister goes to the leader of the biggest party and that of the minister of finance to the leader of the second biggest."

link :- http://en.wikipedia....he_constitution

Heres the list i found of the predominantly left wing socialist countries of the world :-

Cuba

North Korea

Venezuela

China

Vietnam

Syria

Belarus

Laos

Zambia

Turkmenistan

"Other countries which might be considered Socialist, depending upon the interpretation of different factors, include"

Libya

Algeria

Namibia

Edited by itsnotoutthere

And that was the best list you could come up with! They're about as left wing as the UK is. Each of the countries you give as examples are either coalitions or alliances.

Sweden :-

"The Alliance won a plurality of 173 seats, but remained two seats short of a 175-seat majority. Nevertheless, neither the Alliance, nor the left block chose to form a coalition with the Sweden Democrats, and the Alliance is currently governing as a minority government."

link :- http://en.wikipedia....Sweden (scroll down to the current party line up chart)

Norway :-

"Historically, both the Norwegian Labour Party and Conservative Party have played leading political roles, while the former has remained in power since the 2005 election, in a Red-Green Coalition with the Socialist Left Party and the Centre Party

Since then, both the Conservative Party and the Progress Party have won great amount of seats in the Parliament, however, as of the 2009 general election, not sufficient enough to overthrow the coalition"

link :- http://en.wikipedia....ative_divisions

Denmark :-

"Following the September 2011 election the right wing lost by a small margin to the opposing left-wing coalition, led by Helle Thorning-Schmidt who on 3 October 2011 formed a new government consisting of the Social Democrats, the Danish Social Liberal Party and the Socialist People's Party"

link :- http://en.wikipedia....olitical_system

Finland :-

"As no one party ever dominates the parliament, Finnish cabinets are multi-party coalitions. As a rule, the post of prime minister goes to the leader of the biggest party and that of the minister of finance to the leader of the second biggest."

link :- http://en.wikipedia....he_constitution

Heres the list i found of the predominantly left wing socialist countries of the world :-

Cuba

North Korea

Venezuela

China

Vietnam

Syria

Belarus

Laos

Zambia

Turkmenistan

"Other countries which might be considered Socialist, depending upon the interpretation of different factors, include"

Libya

Algeria

Namibia

Those right wingers are as much right wingers (in our sense) as the communists are. They would not dare to abolish healthcare, and the cradle to grave full damage insurance for its citizens and the 70%+ maximum tax rate to pay for it. And that is what socialism is, not what a dysfunctional government pretends to be or calls itself.

Edited by questionmark

And that was the best list you could come up with! They're about as left wing as the UK is.

Ful marks for demonstrating that the range of left-of-centre and yes, socialist government can cover a pretty wide spectrum, and that it doesn't necessarily have to lead to everyone having to sing The Red Flag and have a picture of Comrade Lenin above the mantelshelf. That's a good refutation of the claims by some, particularly on the American Right, that Socialism will lead automatically to Communism and totalitarianism and anything else that ends in ism.

Those right wingers are as much right wingers (in our sense) as the communists are. They would not dare to abolish healthcare, and the cradle to grave full damage insurance for its citizens and the 70%+ maximum tax rate to pay for it. And that is what socialism is, not what a dysfunctional government pretends to be or calls itself.

I think people should try it they'd be pleasantly surprised when their tax rates drop yet they can afford everything.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

I think people should try it they'd be pleasantly surprised when their tax rates drop yet they can afford everything.

Right, ask the guy living off 240 pounds a week and paying no taxes if he can afford "everything". What you are trying to say is "If I could cheat a little more on taxes I could afford more"

So much egotism is repugnantly disgusting.

Edited by questionmark