Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this real?

Mnemonix

I would suggest it is an illusion, just like any other magic trick.

Check the video. At time 1.17, whilst the monk is walking around the back of the candles, near to the (very handy) curtain you see his left hand go round behind his back, then returns at 1.21.

I would say that this is when he is attaching the lifting cord. The cord cannot be seen due to the subdued lighting.

Just because he is a monk does not make it any more than a simple illusion :)

• Like 2

I would suggest it is an illusion, just like any other magic trick.

Check the video. At time 1.17, whilst the monk is walking around the back of the candles, near to the (very handy) curtain you see his left hand go round behind his back, then returns at 1.21.

I would say that this is when he is attaching the lifting cord. The cord cannot be seen due to the subdued lighting.

Just because he is a monk does not make it any more than a simple illusion :)

of course its a trick i just dont think your explanation fits with it, if it was cord he would be moving alot more in the air and unless the did something to the video im sure we could see the cord when they take a shot from the side. and where does he get the cord if he did get it from the curtains thn i would think they would move a bit as he grabs for it but they remain perfectly still the whole time he walks past it. cord or not i think this is a hoax but i cant explain it.
  • Like 1

That's a Tibetan monk,inside a Tibetan temple. Those guys do nothing all day but pray. They don't have props ,special affects ,or time for any such nonsense ,as they never even show that stuff to outsiders,as outsiders rarely show up at their door.

It would say despite the wall of prayer flags behind him,its not a trick or illusion .

I've met some of these guys,and they have no airs about them,nor any compulsion to decieve or do things for publicity .

• Like 1

WOW

That's a Tibetan monk,inside a Tibetan temple. Those guys do nothing all day but pray. They don't have props ,special affects ,or time for any such nonsense ,as they never even show that stuff to outsiders,as outsiders rarely show up at their door.

It would say despite the wall of prayer flags behind him,its not a trick or illusion .

I've met some of these guys,and they have no airs about them,nor any compulsion to decieve or do things for publicity .

So what you are saying is that levitation is a feasable explanation? Just cos a guy prays all day does not mean he would not decieve. That goes with any religion.

• Like 3

I'm sure Buddhists where caught out before using the leg trick for levitation.

Just because they are supposed to have certian beleives doesn't mean they are all "legit".

magic trick or an optical illusion

I agree. I don't believe any of that levitation crap.

• Like 1

In Nepal I have seen it face-to-face whilst visiting the Tashihlunpo Monastery, but I still can't say whether it's genuine or not.

• Like 3

Well, if it is real, what a useless trick.

What good would floating up 1 foot do for any of us? Save our furniture? Make it easier to use dirty public restrooms?

Call me when he starts zooming around the room.

• Like 2

Well, if it is real, what a useless trick.

What good would floating up 1 foot do for any of us? Save our furniture? Make it easier to use dirty public restrooms?

Call me when he starts zooming around the room.

It's not useless at all. These types of fake powers are disturbingly successful at obtaining new adherents, obtaining their properties/monies and elevating one's own status in the ideology.

Similar to fake faith healing ministries. (I do believe in REAL faith healing, though, whatever REAL might be)

Edited by pallidin

Blatantly fake.

Surprised no one mentioned editing tricks.

Edited so you don't see him sit on a platform that is attatched to a lift behind the curtains/flags which then raises him up and down.

Notice how they all of a sudden stop showing angles that let you see behind him when he is "floating"? Despite them showing that a few times before that point.

It is an old magicians trick used to make things float, in the exact same manner seen here.

• Like 1

They have a weird diet in them there temples, you know.

I know how he floated... he farted. :passifier:

• Like 1

They have a weird diet in them there temples, you know.

I know how he floated... he farted. :passifier:

Oh that quote made me laugh. It made my morning. Thanks :D

• Like 1

Obviously, he had the Green Chili Burrito special at my favorite restaurant, "Casa Nausea."

Done this myself, but never near candles! :w00t:

• Like 1

If that was real the cameraman would of kept the camera on the Monk at all times NOT keep moving about like he did making it extremely hard to see properly

Also just because He says he is a Monk does not mean to say he is one (could be an actor) the so called Temple could in fact be a mock up of one in a studio

I believe this is fake

It squeals fake.

Much akin to a pig going to the butchers.

• Like 1