Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dmitry Itskov plans immortality by 2045

Saru

The Russian mogul has set in motion a plan to achieve cybernetic immortality within 33 years.

A Russian mogul wants to achieve cybernetic immortality for humans within the next 33 years. He's pulled together a team intent on creating fully functional holographic human avatars that house our artificial brains. Now he's asking billionaires to help fund the advancements needed along the way.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Just think, guys... you could listen to your partner talking... forevermore.

Now ain't that a nice thought?

• Like 2

I hope it's cheap... it's boring being the only immortal in the world.

• Like 1

You could spend the rest of time signed in to UM...

• Like 1

You could spend the rest of time signed in to UM...

Why would you, you would be too busy trying to resolve the mystery of why you have the urge to pee and to discover what to do it with.

Edited by questionmark
  • Like 2

Makes me think about the game Deus Ex. Which i bet will clearly happen by then lol. The rich will be able to afford and be richer and the poor will die and companies will dominate the world.

Result--> Global war

Why would you, you would be too busy trying to resolve the mystery of why you have the urge to pee and to discover what to do it with.

Exactly do that important stuff, and being a cybernetic you could do all that while signed in... :tu:

Eternity without feeling, wow, that sounds like a fate worse than death.

actually death IS an eternity without feeling so tat means being immortal would just be like dying
  • Like 2

Makes me think about the game Deus Ex. Which i bet will clearly happen by then lol. The rich will be able to afford and be richer and the poor will die and companies will dominate the world.

Result--> Global war

we will always need the poor. they cannot die. nothing wrong with companies dominating the world. we already have this and have had this for 2500 years.

what is mankind's obsession with immortality? i don't think i will ever understand why anyone would want to live on this planet forever.

• Like 4

I'm thinking that immortality lived in a virtual world that could be anything your brain, or rather the algorythm duplicating it, can conceive could be quite interesting. But eternity as a brain in a robotic body? Not sure I'd want to give that a go.

I guess this has two parts, no I would not mind that they downloaded the content of my brain for future generations to consult once I am dead but that should not have to do anything with me, I want to, at some point, just quit living. Better if I can decide for myself when I had enough. And that would include all stages of human life from the incapability of infancy to the incapability of old age.

• Like 1

what is mankind's obsession with immortality? i don't think i will ever understand why anyone would want to live on this planet forever.

If you could live forever, you probably wouldn't have to. That's a lot of time to learn and innovate.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

actually death IS an eternity without feeling so tat means being immortal would just be like dying

If death is just non existence, at least we wouldn't be aware of it. If it's Heaven, ok, cool, Hell, uh...no thanks.

Right, I actually got round to reading the article. What a load of tosh.

I believe we could create a holographic avatar that is controlled directly by our brains (one day in the future, sorry not to give as precise a date as the article).

But housing a brain to continue life indefinately? What about the deterioration of the human brain, have these people ever been to a retirement home? The world would be full of holograms that popped out to the shops, forgot where they lived and are roaming around for eternity trying to get home. If the problems of ageing on the brain can be solved, surely the problems of ageing on the body could also be solved, therefore no need for a hologram to house the brain.

This research could open up great possibilities but I very much doubt immortality is one of them.

A hologram to use for partying might be fun though... :tu:

A hologram to use for partying might be fun though... :tu:

Yeah, interesting sceen or two in the Schwarzenegger movie, "The 6th Day". :tu:

Yeah, interesting sceen or two in the Schwarzenegger movie, "The 6th Day". :tu:

Lol, took a minute but I remember the scene.

Funny you should mention 6th Day, doesn't it deal with immortality with clones? Would't a brain and heart transplant into a cloned body be more feasible than Itskov's hologram idea? (Well as feasible as discussions on immortality allow ;) )

Looks like Mr Ray Kurzweil finally found somebody who not only believes him but is willing to put the money on the table.. there are so many things to discover in the universe that dying after a few years like we do is not only frustrating but plain unfair ..:)

• Like 3

that's one of the points...you have enough time to go live on other planets by then.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if future technology could resurrect a frozen mummy like the incans...

• Like 1

I wonder if future technology could resurrect a frozen mummy like the incans...

i thought we were already well into the process of accomplishing that.

Like those prehistoric proteins that were resurrected a couple of months ago. Or plants that have been "brought back". Or that bacteria they brought back.

etc etc

http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/20120712/10815/million-bacteria-prehistoric-e-coli-nasa-evolution.htm

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=biologist-resurrects-prehistoric-proteins

• Like 1