Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rock Throwing?

keninsc

A number of times I've been asked.......more like challenged to explain rock throwing.

Now the fact is that deer can't throw rocks, bears can't throw rocks, elk.....squirrels....rabbits...etc. In order to throw a rock you need an opposable thumb and it's pretty much true that only primates have them.

Now having said that, how much rock throwing have you encountered in the field? In my case the correct answer is none.

Tree limbs fall, rocks can come loose and fall or be pushed by other creatures and not to be discounted but humans love to play tricks on other people.

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

I always appreciated the ability to throw a rock and aim what I'm throwing it at, it comes in handy when you have a bull trying to invade your space.

Chimps and other apes have been observed to throw balls (not by me, by professionals). Underhand is their natural method.

I would think racoons can throw rocks, but I've never seen it...

• Like 2

A number of times I've been asked.......more like challenged to explain rock throwing.

Any thoughts?

Yes, get a new circle of friends if they challenge your rock throwing reasons... :tu:

Hold on is this a Squatch thing?

Edited by Junior Chubb

Personally, I've never experienced any sort of thing like this and when I see it happen on one of the TV shows I'm skeptical enough to believe it to be one of the camera crew adding it for dramatic effect.

I was sitting in a train once when a brick crashed throw the window and landed on an empty seat just ahead of me. Not strictly a rock, but the thrower wasn't far advanced from the "stone" age imo.

• Like 1

I wish I could throw rocks. I do have opposable thumbs (contrary to what some of my debating opponents might believe), but alas, I throw like a girl.

• Like 1

As with all things Sasquatch related, I would love to believe, but have yet to see evidence that would lead me to. I would say that if a Bigfoot believer experiences a rock coming at them unexpectedly, they are likely to say that it is a Bigfoot that caused it. Confirmation bias leads us to look at events and evidence in a way that supports our preconceptions - and that is a fact.

I look at the study of bigfoot behavior with much skepticism purely because the existence of the creature itself has never been substantiated. A creature which doesn't exist cannot have behavior. Am I saying that Bigfoot doesn't exist? I'm saying its highly unlikely. Science has a process for classifying and documenting species and Bigfoot hasn't participated in that process in any meaningful way, to date.

So as far as rock throwing goes, until Bigfoot is proven as a creature, then I would have to say that all cases of rock throwing so far are the result of other natural causes. An imaginary creature can't throw a real rock. Show me Bigfoot isn't imaginary and my position on rock throwing will happily shift. I, like many, many others, am still waiting.

Edited by orangepeaceful79

My bunnies throw their dishes, glass,ceramic, and metal,none very light in weight,clean acrosss their 4 foot cages,and crash into the opposite side.

My cats have done things ,at least I assumed it was my cats,you'd not believe .

Other animals can throw things,and they need no opposable thumb

Edited by Simbi Laveau

i'm an expert rock skipper, if i do say so myself

ahem

anyway

my cat can't throw a rock but he can grab a hold of my glasses and rip them off my face.

• Like 3

Gorilla and Chimp's throw rocks. It means "go away you're bothering me".

No I haven't had any rocks thrown at me either..... yet.

• Like 1

Having spent literally years of my life in the outdoors, I can honestly say that nothing has ever thrown a rock at me except another human.

I can say, however, that if one goes out into the woods and finds a quiet place to sit down for a while, one will hear all kinds of noises, bumps, and bangs.

Again, given how removed we have become from the natural world around us, common sounds can easily be interpreted as paranormal.

• Like 2

Elephants can throw rocks.

And they use their nose to do it.

Edited by Lrak
  • Like 1

Remember when these idiots on MonsterQuest were under the impression that a Bigfoot or "Bigfeet" were throwing rocks at them ?? Remember how they were scared ??

Two things to explain this: Overactive imagination and the wish to make good TV like only the History Channel can do. :tu:

Just my 2 cents, as always......... :D

• Like 2

Remember when these idiots on MonsterQuest were under the impression that a Bigfoot or "Bigfeet" were throwing rocks at them ?? Remember how they were scared ??

Two things to explain this: Overactive imagination and the wish to make good TV like only the History Channel can do. :tu:

Don't get me started about the History Channel!!... I use the really like them.. back when they had shows about - History...

• Like 4

I have never seen any evidence of rock throwing. Not in person, or on TV. Now the individual on TV may say they just had a rock thrown at them, but have any of you actually ever seen the rock being thrown? Yeah, me neither. Of course there are written reports of it happening, but there are also written reports of some ***hat saying he killed a couple of them too. Although I did have a squirrel drop a pine cone on me one time. Must have been a cryptid squirrel.

Mike

• Like 1

Bigfoot threw rocks at my unicorn, who batted them out of the park with his horn. My unicorn's batting average is better than any player in MLB. ;)

• Like 2

Bigfoot threw rocks at my unicorn, who batted them out of the park with his horn. My unicorn's batting average is better than any player in MLB. ;)

Good to know the unicorn was okay.

I voted for your Unicorn to be in the All-Stars game, sadly Alex Rodriguez received more votes. <_<

• Like 1

That's my favorite episode of Monsterquest for two reasons:

1) the instance you mention where our brave band of "investigators" cower in the cabin because Bigfoot is supposedly right outside throwing rocks at them - uh, isn't finding Bigfoot the reason they are there?

2) the "screw board" where the cabin owner knows for a FACT that bigfoot ransacked his cabin and in the process stepped on the "screw board" leaving huge amounts of blood, hair, and DNA - so what does the cabin owner do? Does he send the "screw board" to the lab to finally prove once and for all the existence of the elusive Bigfoot (and all of the fame and fortune that would come along with it) - NOPE. He leans it up against the side of the cabin and lets it sit in the weather for two years. Makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 2

You said it all, Rafterman. :tu:

They were scared of going outside when, allegedly, answers to their questions were right there. I remember watching this and saying to myself " man up damnit, you're 4 grown men, do something about it !! ". What a bunch of idiots. One word: Embarrassing. :rolleyes:

You said it all, Rafterman. :tu:

They were scared of going outside when, allegedly, answers to their questions were right there. I remember watching this and saying to myself " man up damnit, you're 4 grown men, do something about it !! ". What a bunch of idiots. One word: Embarrassing. :rolleyes:

If I recall, that episode was the RETURN to Cross Lake (I think that was the name) - anyway, it was the 2nd episode on that area.

And I believe in the first one, one of the guys canoed all the way across the lake and camped out on a shoreline all by himself hoping to encounter a bigfoot.

Now that guy had some balls. When it comes to Squatching, you gotta want that ****!

• Like 1

Sorry, got a few of the details wrong. Here is my review that I posted when the episode aired:

So our intrepid band of cryptoresearchers ventures into the Canadian North Country to investigate Sasquatch encounters around Snowgrove Lake.

In a nutshell, the episode could have been stronger. It hinged around an isolated fishing cabin on Snowgrove Lake that had been the epicenter of a number of sometimes violent encounters with an unknown creature over the past few years. There were several eyewitness accounts of strange noises, unusual sightings, and the cabin being physically shaken. All of this culminated in the cabin being ransacked during a period when it was unoccupied. Even though bears in the area have been known to do such things (not to mention teenagers out to have a little fun) our cabin owner was convinced the act was perpetrated by a Sasquatch, with little to no evidence other than "bears don't destroy things in this manner." OK, highly predictable bear behavior for the win it is.

To combat future occurrences, the cabin owner places a "screw board" (literally a board with rows of screws sticking up) in front of the door. Upon his return to the cabin, something has obviously impaled its foot on the board and has left a large amount of blood, hair, and tissue residue on the screws. What does the cabin owner do with this evidence? Well, nothing of course. So let's back up a minute. Let me get this straight. You are convinced that Sasquatch broke into your cabin and ransacked it. You make a board of screws to keep Sasquatch or whatever from doing it again. You come back. The thing is literally dripping in blood with tissue and hair all over it. Do you immediately take it to a lab and have it analyzed because you might have irrefutable proof of the existence of one of the greatest mysteries of mankind? No, apparently you leave it sitting out in the rain for two years for our cryptoresearchers to analyze at a much later time. Come on.

Now that our researchers are on site for five days, they proceed to put out camera traps, bang logs together, and generally make themselves stand out as much as possible to attract the alleged best. One researcher even goes so far as to travel to the other side of the lake and camp by himself for an evening. But alas, our cryptofriend is not taking the bait. On the final night, however, our researchers are suddenly knocked from their camp induced boredom by something throwing rocks at the cabin as we know from watching countess hours of shows such as this, a sure sign of Sasquatch activity. Faced with the possibility of actual physical proof of their quarry standing mere feet from their current location, what does our fearless group of researches do why they high tail it to the door and cower in the cabin for the next several hours of course. This decision is even more ludicrous given that one of the researchers had spent the previous night camped out by himself trying to attract the creature. Where exactly was he going to hide had Sasquatch made an appearance - in his little nylon tent? Our merry band spends a sleepless night in constant fear of death by Sasquatch. The next morning they pack up and head.

But apparently all was not lost. One of the hairs from the screw board that had been sitting outside for two years was determined to not be human or any known animal. And while the DNA was determined to be contaminated and untestable by the mohawked researcher (you know the guy if you've watched other crypto-related shows) at NYU, one of our cryptoresearchers was able to figure out a way to separate the contaminants and retrieve the actual DNA of course, this will take up to a year to analyze. I will be waiting breathlessly for part two in, say, 12 months or so. Sorry, the show was enjoyable entertainment, but some of the stuff they did just didn't add up

• Like 2

Sorry, got a few of the details wrong. Here is my review that I posted when the episode aired:

So our intrepid band of cryptoresearchers ventures into the Canadian North Country to investigate Sasquatch encounters around Snowgrove Lake.

In a nutshell, the episode could have been stronger. It hinged around an isolated fishing cabin on Snowgrove Lake that had been the epicenter of a number of sometimes violent encounters with an unknown creature over the past few years. There were several eyewitness accounts of strange noises, unusual sightings, and the cabin being physically shaken. All of this culminated in the cabin being ransacked during a period when it was unoccupied. Even though bears in the area have been known to do such things (not to mention teenagers out to have a little fun) our cabin owner was convinced the act was perpetrated by a Sasquatch, with little to no evidence other than "bears don't destroy things in this manner." OK, highly predictable bear behavior for the win it is.

To combat future occurrences, the cabin owner places a "screw board" (literally a board with rows of screws sticking up) in front of the door. Upon his return to the cabin, something has obviously impaled its foot on the board and has left a large amount of blood, hair, and tissue residue on the screws. What does the cabin owner do with this evidence? Well, nothing of course. So let's back up a minute. Let me get this straight. You are convinced that Sasquatch broke into your cabin and ransacked it. You make a board of screws to keep Sasquatch or whatever from doing it again. You come back. The thing is literally dripping in blood with tissue and hair all over it. Do you immediately take it to a lab and have it analyzed because you might have irrefutable proof of the existence of one of the greatest mysteries of mankind? No, apparently you leave it sitting out in the rain for two years for our cryptoresearchers to analyze at a much later time. Come on.

Now that our researchers are on site for five days, they proceed to put out camera traps, bang logs together, and generally make themselves stand out as much as possible to attract the alleged best. One researcher even goes so far as to travel to the other side of the lake and camp by himself for an evening. But alas, our cryptofriend is not taking the bait. On the final night, however, our researchers are suddenly knocked from their camp induced boredom by something throwing rocks at the cabin as we know from watching countess hours of shows such as this, a sure sign of Sasquatch activity. Faced with the possibility of actual physical proof of their quarry standing mere feet from their current location, what does our fearless group of researches do why they high tail it to the door and cower in the cabin for the next several hours of course. This decision is even more ludicrous given that one of the researchers had spent the previous night camped out by himself trying to attract the creature. Where exactly was he going to hide had Sasquatch made an appearance - in his little nylon tent? Our merry band spends a sleepless night in constant fear of death by Sasquatch. The next morning they pack up and head.

But apparently all was not lost. One of the hairs from the screw board that had been sitting outside for two years was determined to not be human or any known animal. And while the DNA was determined to be contaminated and untestable by the mohawked researcher (you know the guy if you've watched other crypto-related shows) at NYU, one of our cryptoresearchers was able to figure out a way to separate the contaminants and retrieve the actual DNA of course, this will take up to a year to analyze. I will be waiting breathlessly for part two in, say, 12 months or so. Sorry, the show was enjoyable entertainment, but some of the stuff they did just didn't add up

I enjoyed and appreciated your great analysis of the show. I especially appreciate the fact that you seem to maintain an open mind while still sorting through the nonsense. If more folk interested in the paranormal were like you, we'd all receive a lot more respect.