Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Israel, Fourth Largest Arms Industry Exporter

buckskin scout

Israel hits $7.2 billion in arms exports

TEL AVIV, Israel, June 17 (UPI) -- Israel's defense industry racked an unprecedented $7.2 billion in exports in 2010, up on the $6.9 billion achieved in 2009.

That put the Jewish state among the world's top four arms exporters but declining military budgets around the world are likely to reduce sales over the coming years.

"We recognize the challenges but we're working hard to maintain the level we're currently at and even to increase it," said Reserve Brig. Gen. Shmaya Avieli, head of the Defense Ministry's Foreign Defense Assistance and Defense Export Department.

The Israelis are hoping to secure big-ticket deals at the Paris Air Show, a major international defense industry showcase next week at the Le Bourget exhibition center.

Government figures indicate Israeli defense companies sold military hardware worth $9.6 billion in 2010, $2.4 billion of it to Israel's military.

But meantime, China, once a promising market for Israeli weapons and electronic systems, remains off-limits, largely because of Israel's ally, the United States.

The Americans blocked the sale of four $250 million Phalcon advanced early warnings aircraft to the People's Liberation Army in 2000, citing U.S. components used in the systems carried by the aircraft. Beijing was furious.

Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak, who sanctioned the Phalcon deal, is currently in Beijing, the first such visit in a decade.

Israeli officials, however, stressed the policy of no weapons sales to China is still in place.

In 2005, Israel agreed to upgrade Israeli Aerospace Industries unmanned aerial vehicles sold to Beijing in the 1990s. The United States responded by downgrading Israeli's participation in the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program. The drone upgrade was scrapped.

The Americans remain uneasy about Israeli defense links to China, in particular about the Chengdu J-10, China's new air force fighter, which reputedly involves technology from the joint U.S.-Israeli Lavi fighter project of the 1980s.

The delta-winged Lavi, being developed by IAI, was canceled in 1987 under political pressure from Washington because of soaring costs.

The Americans, who provide Israel with $3 billion a year in military aid, were also reluctant to fund a project that would compete with Lockheed's F-16 Fighting Falcon, the leading U.S. fighter of the day.

Arieh Herzog, head of the Israeli Missile Defense Organization, said in May that Israel halted sensitive technology transfers to China in 2005 and created an office to oversee military exports.

Six years after the Pentagon blocked Israel from advanced military technology over concerns about leaks to China, Washington is once again funding Israeli high-profile air-defense missile systems development.

These focus mainly on IAI's Arrow high-altitude, long-range interceptor designed to down Iranian ballistic missiles and deployed in 2000, and the Iron Dome, intended to counter short range projectiles, which got its baptism of fire in March and April.

Iron Dome is being built by Rafael Advanced Defense Systems of Israel. The U.S. Congress authorized $205 million to support the Iron Dome program in early 2011.

India has expressed interest in the Arrow but given extensive funding provided by the United States, such sales might be problematical. In March, The Jerusalem Post reported that the Defense Ministry was discussing possible Iron Dome sales to European NATO states.

The system will be one of the main attractions in the Israeli pavilion at the Paris Air Show.

Another Israeli missile defense system, David's Sling, designed to counter medium range rockets and missiles, is currently being developed by Rafael in partnership with the U.S. Raytheon Corp.

Increasingly, Israel's defense industry is looking to the Third World for exports. Asia and Latin America, where several states' energy-fueled economies are taking off, have become prime targets, particularly since Israel's alliance with Turkey, a major arms market, collapsed in 2009.

But with defense markets generally shrinking following the global financial meltdown two years ago, and likely to be cut back further as oil prices rise again, the Israelis face growing competition from their key allies, the Americans.

U.S. arms makers are increasingly looking abroad for sales as the U.S. military budget is reduced.

U.S. defense contractors are expected to sell hardware worth a record $46.1 billion to foreign buyers in 2011. That's a nearly 50 percent hike from $31.6 billion in 2010 -- much of it to Israel's Arab adversaries.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/B.../#ixzz22ABhnNkA

Edited by dside

Truly impressive performance from such a small country, no? They work lean and smart and the US has no doubt benefitted from their joint efforts over the years.

• Like 1

Arms and defense industry is Israel's second largest export.

The third is agriculture

In 2010, Israel exported fruit and vegetables in the total worth of 2.1 billion USD, 66% of which were exported to the European market. Some of this produce originated from occupied territories. The Israeli control over the water and the land in the West Bank prevents the development of a Palestinian agriculture. Better yet, the agriculture in the West Bank has turned the settlements themselves into profitable corporations through the establishment of water facilities, crops and export companies.

Until its formal liquidation in September 2011, Agrexco was the main agricultural exporter of Israeli produce to Europe. Since then, most of the farmers and packing houses that worked with Agrexco have begun to look for alternative marketing options. The following Flash-report is an update on the major Israeli agriculture export companies presently operating in Occupied Territories. The report further indicates the harsh implications of an Israeli-only agriculture in occupied Palestinian and Syrian land. Moreover, please check out our report on the Israeli wine industry and the occupation

http://whoprofits.org/Agricultural%20Export_Flash%20Report

That's interesting dside. I had no idea that the Palestinians were interested overmuch in agricultural pursuits for export. They were given many green houses for flowers and fruit when the Israelis left Gaza and they burned them all down immediately, along with homes and Synagogues. Seemed kind of...hateful to me....

• Like 1

That's interesting dside. I had no idea that the Palestinians were interested overmuch in agricultural pursuits for export. They were given many green houses for flowers and fruit when the Israelis left Gaza and they burned them all down immediately, along with homes and Synagogues. Seemed kind of...hateful to me....

the moral ... dont p*** down my back and tell me its raining... ?!

the moral ... dont p*** down my back and tell me its raining... ?!

How is that an example of trying to "get over" on someone? They leave money making infrastructure in place that took hard work and capital to create. No, they probably didn't do it from a sense of generosity toward their enemies but they DID it just the same. And how was the gesture answered? The Palestinians mindlessly destroy every piece of it. Are you beginning to get a clear picture of the mindset here? The reason this is going to end so damned badly is that lashing out in hatred is the Palestinian answer for everything. EVERYTHING. And people like yourself who are only covered by the thinnest veneer of civility uphold them in their ruthlessness and intransigence. Sickening really, because you have no skin in the game. You get puffed up with pride that you are "helping the cause" of these "poor abused and completely innocent souls" while they do the bleeding and senseless dying as a result of your support of their fantasy world.
  • Like 1

How is that an example of trying to "get over" on someone? They leave money making infrastructure in place that took hard work and capital to create. No, they probably didn't do it from a sense of generosity toward their enemies but they DID it just the same. And how was the gesture answered? The Palestinians mindlessly destroy every piece of it. Are you beginning to get a clear picture of the mindset here? The reason this is going to end so damned badly is that lashing out in hatred is the Palestinian answer for everything. EVERYTHING. And people like yourself who are only covered by the thinnest veneer of civility uphold them in their ruthlessness and intransigence. Sickening really, because you have no skin in the game. You get puffed up with pride that you are "helping the cause" of these "poor abused and completely innocent souls" while they do the bleeding and senseless dying as a result of your support of their fantasy world.

Go visit the Palestinian refugee camps to its millions who are denied the right of return by the Israeli government and tell it to them. Go visit the Gaza Strip (with its 1.5 million citizens living under the blockade) and tell it to them. Or the West Bank under Israeli military occupancy with several hundred (maybe thousands) checkpoints and an invasion of settlers that are pushing the Palestinians further into smaller pockets (or islands) of residencies and tell it to them.

Boo-hoo-hoo, I bet that will set them crying up deluge of tears.

Go visit the Palestinian refugee camps to its millions who are denied the right of return by the Israeli government and tell it to them. Go visit the Gaza Strip (with its 1.5 million citizens living under the blockade) and tell it to them. Or the West Bank under Israeli military occupancy with several hundred (maybe thousands) checkpoints and an invasion of settlers that are pushing the Palestinians further into smaller pockets (or islands) of residencies and tell it to them.

The comment wasn't aimed at them. I don't really care about their self induced problems. It was aimed at you and your mindless support of a situation that is going to lead to a regional and potentially world wide conflict some day. Dside you are as much a hater as you blame the Israelis for being haters. For all my faults at least that isn't one we share. I don't hate the Palestinians, I just don't accept that their plight is the fault of others. They could have a State and massive amounts of capital to create infrastructure and lure investment. They could possess one of the gems of the mediterranean in Gaza. Along with the oil wealth off the coast and the tourism they could have one of the most prosperous places on earth. But they would rather gnaw on their hatred and old plots of revenge. So be it.
  • Like 1

The comment wasn't aimed at them. I don't really care about their self induced problems. It was aimed at you and your mindless support of a situation that is going to lead to a regional and potentially world wide conflict some day. Dside you are as much a hater as you blame the Israelis for being haters. For all my faults at least that isn't one we share. I don't hate the Palestinians, I just don't accept that their plight is the fault of others. They could have a State and massive amounts of capital to create infrastructure and lure investment. They could possess one of the gems of the mediterranean in Gaza. Along with the oil wealth off the coast and the tourism they could have one of the most prosperous places on earth. But they would rather gnaw on their hatred and old plots of revenge. So be it.

Ah, you're true nature comes forward, you have this rosy picture, without little knowledge how much the Palestinians have lost.. they lost their homes homes that belonged to their parents, grandparents, etc... they have lost their identity... they have lost their dignity...

What if someone came along... blew up your house... or bulldozed it... and told you have lost all right to your land... kicked you out without any compensation... and if you have no saving and the land was your subsistance... and your only home or refuge is to find the nearest UN camp for the internally displaced and lay your head down in a tent? And if you have family, well now you are all crammed into a tent laying down on the hard earth instead in the comfort of your home passed that was passed down onto you for generations.

You see no wrong in all this?

Ah, you're true nature comes forward, you have this rosy picture, without little knowledge how much the Palestinians have lost.. they lost their homes homes that belonged to their parents, grandparents, etc... they have lost their identity... they have lost their dignity...

What if someone came along... blew up your house... or bulldozed it... and told you have lost all right to your land... kicked you out without any compensation... and if you have no saving and the land was your subsistance... and your only home or refuge is to find the nearest UN camp for the internally displaced and lay your head down in a tent? And if you have family, well now you are all crammed into a tent laying down on the hard earth instead in the comfort of your home passed that was passed down onto you for generations.

You see no wrong in all this?

I see no wrong that has not been done to millions of others down the centuries. AND since the only way for them to get what they want is for Israel to basically be removed from the face of the earth, I'd say they're asking a little too much in compensation. It's the ultimate unsolvable human problem. It can only lead to war - over and over and it is because of Palestinian intransigence that it will happen. And according to the scriptures they lose, ultimately. I actually do feel bad for their children who are taught it is noble above all else to die for something the adults could almost completely gain by just talking with the Israelis. But you think like they do, which is to mindlessly hate Israel and expect that someday a miracle will happen and it will just disappear from the earth. If the tables were turned and it was the Jews displaced..I wonder, would you care enough to post reams of wiki docs? I'm thinking not.......
  • Like 1

I see no wrong that has not been done to millions of others down the centuries. AND since the only way for them to get what they want is for Israel to basically be removed from the face of the earth, I'd say they're asking a little too much in compensation. It's the ultimate unsolvable human problem. It can only lead to war - over and over and it is because of Palestinian intransigence that it will happen. And according to the scriptures they lose, ultimately. I actually do feel bad for their children who are taught it is noble above all else to die for something the adults could almost completely gain by just talking with the Israelis. But you think like they do, which is to mindlessly hate Israel and expect that someday a miracle will happen and it will just disappear from the earth. If the tables were turned and it was the Jews displaced..I wonder, would you care enough to post reams of wiki docs? I'm thinking not.......

You need to check sources my sources cite. None of this is off of wiki docs. And todays' Jews arent genetically the same Jews from the Biblical age neither is their religion the same either. Todays Jews are talmudist, Biblical Jews were Torahists or Yahwehists. Jews are far more ethically diverse than their Biblical counterparts and they are more religiously diverse than their Biblical counterparts. Not to mention, that the majority of Israel is atheists. They are the majority. Heck, even the founder of Zionism was an atheist. Israel's first Prime Minister was an atheist.

Doesnt any of this raise any flags with you? Anyways, God tore down the partition separating Jews from Gentiles. Remember the stern warning of Jesus, "... I never KNEW you!"

And ask yourself why Jesus told this parable? What was its sole purpose and its foundational message?

Edited by dside

You need to check sources my sources cite. None of this is off of wiki docs. And todays' Jews arent genetically the same Jews from the Biblical age neither is their religion the same either. Todays Jews are talmudist, Biblical Jews were Torahists or Yahwehists. Jews are far more ethically diverse than their Biblical counterparts and they are more religiously diverse than their Biblical counterparts. Not to mention, that the majority of Israel is atheists. They are the majority. Heck, even the founder of Zionism was an atheist. Israel's first Prime Minister was an atheist.

Doesnt any of this raise any flags with you? Anyways, God tore down the partition separating Jews from Gentiles. Remember the stern warning of Jesus, "... I never KNEW you!"

And ask yourself why Jesus told this parable? What was its sole purpose and its foundational message?

The Lord said in His word that He would disperse them - He did. He said He would regather them - after almost 2000 years - He did. he did not say anything about one type of Jew versus another. That whole line of logic is just a sham and an excuse for your hatred of them. You know, I don't even blame people who hate them because I'm beginning to think they almost can't help themselves. But that doesn't mean God's word is somehow changed. He....is going to drop a LOAD on those who harm his people. He says so. I really don't care to argue with you any longer about this dside. Neither of us will change opinions so what's the point? Of all the topics at UM this is the ONE where I am most likely to lose my temper and I don't like doing that here. It's not good for me or the Forum. And BTW...the whole "wiki" thing is just code for quick, cut and paste internet research...nothing personal intended.

Palestinian refugee camp:

Khan Younis

Khan-Younis-refugee-camp--007.jpg

Gaza City:

250px-Gaza_City.JPG

Darfur:

Darfur_kalma_camp.jpg

sp1119147.jpg

How many posts have you started on here about Sudan?

The Lord said in His word that He would disperse them - He did. He said He would regather them - after almost 2000 years - He did. he did not say anything about one type of Jew versus another. That whole line of logic is just a sham and an excuse for your hatred of them. You know, I don't even blame people who hate them because I'm beginning to think they almost can't help themselves. But that doesn't mean God's word is somehow changed. He....is going to drop a LOAD on those who harm his people. He says so. I really don't care to argue with you any longer about this dside. Neither of us will change opinions so what's the point? Of all the topics at UM this is the ONE where I am most likely to lose my temper and I don't like doing that here. It's not good for me or the Forum. And BTW...the whole "wiki" thing is just code for quick, cut and paste internet research...nothing personal intended.

But He only regathers them after they recognize their guilt, turn back their hearts to Him, and follow His commandments.

Is that Zionism? Or modern Israel?

Palestinian refugee camp:

Khan Younis

Khan-Younis-refugee-camp--007.jpg

Gaza City:

250px-Gaza_City.JPG

Darfur:

Darfur_kalma_camp.jpg

sp1119147.jpg

How many posts have you started on here about Sudan?

Because that is a whole other unrelated topic for another unrelated forum here.

Because that is a whole other unrelated topic for another unrelated forum here.

Can you link me to your posts on other refugee issues then please especially as I would love to read your take on the whole Sudan thing, I searched +dside +sudan but was only linked back here. It cannot be just palestinian 'refugees' you care so much about can it ? That would lead me to have serious suspicions about your motives.

Can you link me to your posts on other refugee issues then please especially as I would love to read your take on the whole Sudan thing, I searched +dside +sudan but was only linked back here. It cannot be just palestinian 'refugees' you care so much about can it ? That would lead me to have serious suspicions about your motives.

Well thats easy, I'll tell you why... I rarely post in the 'Other World News' forum.

Dont tell me you did a search for +dside +sudan in this forum?????

I will take that as a 'no' then.

As I said before...it raises suspicions as to your motives.

Oops.. double post.

Edited by Moon Monkey

Seems we have Israeli forces in 'make arrest' shock and american tourist in 'lucky not to be shot' shock.

Any chance of the full un-edited versions to provide a little more context please? Contrary to your opinion the israeli forces don't make a habit of arresting middle aged women or shooting over tourists heads for fun. Full story please.

Oh and how do these videos contribute to anything in this thread, what was the reason for your uncommented posting of these 'old news' links. Cheers.

• Like 2

Seems we have Israeli forces in 'make arrest' shock and american tourist in 'lucky not to be shot' shock.

Any chance of the full un-edited versions to provide a little more context please? Contrary to your opinion the israeli forces don't make a habit of arresting middle aged women or shooting over tourists heads for fun. Full story please.

Oh and how do these videos contribute to anything in this thread, what was the reason for your uncommented posting of these 'old news' links. Cheers.

I'm not even going to bother, you can use google or search on youtube to bring up thousands of these videos. Go do it, then come back and reply please.