Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

101 years old in August

markdohle

101 years old in August

Luke will be 101 years old in August. On his 100th birthday it was a big deal, lots of visitors, visits from newspapers, and of course there was a big party, something Luke loves. He likes being the center of attention, loves people and has a made an art out of making them laugh. As this birthday approaches he is quieter, does not talk about it much and he seems to be tiring. Three days ago he was having a bad time of it and he slept most of the day and night. He was confused, but once we got enough liquids into him he perked up a bit. I think however he is finding his ‘new normal’ which is slower and his energy level will most likely not reach back to the way it was just last week. He is fading, slowly but surely and he does not seem to mind at all. He has outlived most of his generation, and all of his family and old friends, so he is somewhat alone. There are some younger people, in their 60’s who have been his friends for many years. Most of them are from his old country, Poland, so they like to bring him Polish food, which he of course loves. Many of them have stopped coming, most likely because they know he is not up to it, but there are a few who continue, and they are careful not to tire him out, or to give him foods that are too rich. He loves it when they come, and loves it when they go, so he can rest when it is over. He is a gentle man, still has his wits about him, though from time to time bits of dementia seem to show, but so far has not gotten to the point where it is any kind of a problem. His death is probably soon, well at his age, no doubt it will be soon, though I think it will be this year…he may prove me to be wrong. He told me the other night when he was not feeling well, that it is not right for him to live so long, he wants to go.

At the beginning, when he was feeling bad, he was having some pain, and I was going to take him to the ER to deal with that. Then the pain went away, so he did not want to go after all. The ER is not a good place for the elderly. Temperatures are often too cold, the beds are hard and they can’t turn, also the lights are too bright and lots of noise. It is hard on everyone to go to the ER, but for the elderly, double that. So he stayed, we got enough liquid in him and yesterday, Rose our nurse hydrated him, with a very slow drip. Have to be careful at his age not to hydrate too fast. He has apnea, a bad case of it, but he won’t use the machine, so he needs to lay down a lot. He falls asleep at the breakfast table and when we ask him if he wants to lay down he says no, at least he did in the past, now, he lays down a lot. Since his mind is good we allow him to roam with his rollator though it makes his caregivers nervous. You can’t restrain someone who does not have dementia. He knows the dangers and that he may have a bad fall that could actually kill him but he prefers to move around. I can’t blame him, if he could not move around that could also prove fatal for him. When he goes, I hope it is peaceful, which it probably will be. His heart is weak from his extreme old age, so mostly likely he will go in his sleep. Who would not want that? However, knowing Luke, he may well be here for his 102nd birthday. He is like that; perhaps it is because so many people love him.

Edited by markdohle
  • Like 2

Such a loving tribute. Thanks.

Such a loving tribute. Thanks.

Thank you Winter for your kind comment. He is doing a some what better, hydration did some of the trick.

peace

mark

I work with the elderly....they are an inspiration to me but sadly to many they are just a burden.

I am glad he has so many that love him :)

I work with the elderly....they are an inspiration to me but sadly to many they are just a burden.

I am glad he has so many that love him :)

Thank you, he gives a lot of love to others and makes them laugh ;-).

Peace

Mark