Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
JesusFreakGS

Evolution Vs. Creationism

905 posts in this topic

Naveed

I agree with you totally Homer. That was very insulting and if it happens again the thread should be locked. Also Big_Steff, we weren't trying to force our ideas on anyone, so really I don't see why you made that reply so insulting. The purpose of threads like this are to disuss and share each others ideas, not to say whether one is wrong or right. Everybody has a right to there own opinions and Vox and I were just sharing ours.

Vox

Good Call Homer, as Naveed said we were just trying to clarify some of our views, and religion is a very interesting topic, but it is a shame when people just blatantly try to put ones religion down. I do hope the topic is not locked but I do understand that people must be respectful since religion is a subject that is very close to certain people.

Sageghost

At the risk of igniting another passionate religious debate, let me first say this:

If someone is going to argue on the side of creationism then surely a 'god' (or creator) of some description is going to be involved. Therefore, it is highly likely that religion will come into the argument as well. Not always, but it's probable.

Anyhoo - my thought about this question are a combination of the two arguments.

On one hand I am a firm believer in evolution. Besides all the research and theories about this, to me it seems logical and provides a solution for life to adapt in an ever changing environment.

But - I also ask myself why is there a planet like Earth in the first place? Why is there space? Why was there a big bang? What started it? What was there before the big bang? I don't want to believe that creation was merely an accident resulting from a kick-**** explosion billions of years ago. I would like to think that there was some purpose to it all. Maybe that means an intelligence of some description was behind it. Who knows? So I guess in some ways I also believe in creationism.....

...leading into the religion thingy? No. That is where my opinion is different. All I will say is that people should be able to believe what they like. It's almost scary the way people get so worked up when religion is brought up. Religion is like a picture - everyone has a different interpretation. Have a think about all of the trouble and death that has occurred over the centuries because of a difference of opinion.

So, you've just read my thoughts about this question. (are you still awake? lol) I've even touched a little bit about my thoughts on religion. I could be wrong - but so could you in regards to your thoughts. So let's just share our thoughts and be grateful that we have a means of collectively doing this. If I had said these words in another time and place I would most likely have been killed for it ohmy.gif

smile.gif

neen

Well done Sageghost, that was written very nicely. smile.gif

Kismit

Well put Sage ghost , I would like to think that somehow there is a little creation in evolution . smile.gif

yew2

Adam' I appreciate your subtle approach. But i have to agree with what's his name, only not so bitterlly. I was raised catholic, but, once presented with the possibility of evolution, the verdict was in! Yes, call me close minded, but by the same token, it opened a whole world of possibilities! On one hand, i truly appreciate the premise of religion, but , unfortunately, it's been abused by the trappings of progress! Which only feuls my disresprect for it. Just another natural progression. Pre-ordained, kharma, everything happens for a reason, "we" are truly the masters of our destiny. No higher entity. Are you not a pillar yourself? Call me a skeptic, but i believe, we, as a society, will succomb to the spoils of "life." IE: war, disease, famine, & yes, religion.

FreyKade

what makes you think that society will be able to succumb to the 'spoils of life'.

what if the whole point of being human is to be destructive and not peaceful. i mean look at the number of species of animals and plants we have made extinct. we are polluting our air, destroying what maybe the only way to take the excss CO2 out of the atmosphere by destroying forrests.

CASTOR

i dont mean to be a downer for you skalra63, but the forests only produce like 20% of our oxygen supply. over 80% is produced by algae and water plants like that. So really we are saving the forests for the animals and not for us. and that is a great thing. i am totally with you on that. but just wanted to clear that up.

CASTOR

Space Moose

Just to add to Castor's comments, species got extinct pretty much no matter what happens. While we have no doubt contributed to a few species being destroyed, their lack of ability to adapt should be considered as well.

Many species (all of them that are not autotrophic in fact) need to consume some other species to live. Since we are not autotrophic, we must eat something else and occasionally we eat all of it. Oh well. We are a part of nature, this is what we do.

This is not to advocate the complete consumption of all of our natural resources, it would be nice to have some of these things around, but it is by no means necessary for our continued survival. When it gets right down to it, I think there is a broad consensus that humans are priority one around here.

sugarqueen

those points are valid. but, isnt polluting water going to kill the algae and water plants?

SpaceyKC

So really we are saving the forests for the animals and not for us.

CASTOR

I have heard that many natural cures for diseases like AIDS and

CANCER are being destroyed along with the forests and jungles.

I've also heard that some theorists believe that these diseases like

AIDS were lying dormant in the soil, and disturbing Mother Earth like

we've done, has caused this chain reaction. unsure.gif

Space Moose
those points are valid. but, isnt polluting water going to kill the algae and water plants?

Some of them, of course. But just as some bacteria or virii will not die when you treat them with medicines, so will some of these things live. These hearty ones will reproduce and really all that we have done is introduce a new thing into the natural selection equation.

mandyistheshiznit

So if God created all, than who was the power that created him? And who created that power and the power before that? Anyways my point is, instead of worrying about whats right or wrong why dont we do what we know we're here for......which is surviving.......seriously.

Mandy devil.gif

Homer

Mandy,

What makes you think we are not already surviving? It's not about worrying about wrong or right, but about acquiring knowledge. Right or wrong are moral and legal issues that are vitally important for civilized societies.

Also, it's human nature to not only ask questions concerning that which we are curious about, but to also question the authority that gave us the answers.

mandyistheshiznit

Homer

My point was only that why cause chaos and war over something that we're not going to be able to do anything about in the end anyway. Why can't we live without HAVING to have the answers to EVERYTHING. There is no point in trying to perfect our knowledge to that extent. It wont help us. Your born...you live...you recreate...you die. Life goes on.

TheOracle

"Be curious always, for knowledge will not acquire you; you must acquire it"

FreyKade

how true oracle, how true

Tioria

Wow interesting debates here. I'll tell you exactly what came to mind when I read this thread. I see a lot of intelligent people who are searching for answers that aren't meant to be found in my opinion. There is no set solution of who is what and what happened when.

However, the spark of interest is what keeps our intelligence alive and keeps it from wilting away with meaningless drivel of what the weather is doing. Anyways that is just my two cents original.gif

mandyistheshiznit
Wow interesting debates here. I'll tell you exactly what came to mind when I read this thread. I see a lot of intelligent people who are searching for answers that aren't meant to be found in my opinion. There is no set solution of who is what and what happened when.

However, the spark of interest is what keeps our intelligence alive and keeps it from wilting away with meaningless drivel of what the weather is doing. Anyways that is just my two cents original.gif

ummm, ya, what she said grin2.gif

lowriderlover2006

did you guys ever think that maby evolution is true becase look if you have ever seen a old english picture or such the people look diffrent bigger noses than they do now maby when people think of evolution they think fast DARWIN never said we came from monkeys he simply said we are related to them i belive in the christian god and evo. to an extent i am not saying adam and eve were monkeys No No No im just saying they looked diffrent than people today laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giforiginal.giforiginal.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

reese2

Why can't there can be both evolution and creationism. Once something is created, it can evolve on it's own, into something all together different than it's original form. So, who's to say that this universe didn't just start(become created) with a spark, a tiny spark,(speck) and then evolve itself and all that it contains...??? Who knows? I know that I would rather use the brain that I have and wonder every day about things of this sort. It is better to strive for the ultimate knowledge, rather than let yourself lay dormant, and die ignorant, all the while never knowing it. (because of your ignorance)

And please check your spelling there, low rider.... After all that is what separates us from the chimps, eh??

Reese

Nethius

that makes sense!

I feel now, that we have really messed up our own evolution. for most animals it is the fittest/strongest that survive, strengthening the gene pool, and evovle to the best that creature can be... with all of our medicines and such, we are weakening our own gene's, and those that should never have survived, are doing so and having children which in turn weaken the next generation...

so maybe we are not evolving the way we should, or we are slowing down our own evolution...

dont get me wrong, i'm not saying we shoulnt help the sick... just a point i'm making

Uranium_235

i was to lazy to read all of the responses so i will reply to the first couple of posts:

Evolution or god did not provide us with food because we were hungery, the nutrients be it energy from the sun, minerals etc. were already there and we needes to obtain energy some how so we evolved to make use of these resources for our most basic needs. alien.gif

Space Moose
DARWIN never said we came from monkeys he simply said we are related to them

Yeah... he did. That is what The Descent of Man was all about.

Meatros

DARWIN never said we came from monkeys he simply said we are related to them

Yeah... he did. That is what The Descent of Man was all about.

No, he didn't. Unless you'd care to find where he said that.

The fact of the matter is we share a common ancestor.