Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Genetic Evidence of Human "Sister" Species?

Pandora7321

"Human "sister" species detected. By studying DNA samples extracted from 15 hunter-gatherer people living in Cameroon and Tanzania, a team of biologists was able to detect the genetic signature of a long-extinct species closely related to humans. This related species to the modern human most likely existed in isolation for a long time, but its DNA eventually joined the Homo sapiens gene pool through interbreeding. "There is a signal that demands explanation, and archaic admixture seems to be the most reasonable one at this point," says UC Santa Cruz genome biologist Richard "Ed" Green. More research will be needed to differentiate this mysterious species from Neanderthals and Denisovans. [Science News]"

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/342711/title/DNA_hints_at_African_cousin_to_humans

• Like 8

Yup, very interesting. Makes me wonder how many other long lost cousin species there might have been?

Great post, very interesting... Thanks Pandora7321.

Interesting. Wonder if something like this would explain why people from different parts of the world look so different.

the team determined that about 2 percent of the DNA from the hunter-gatherers came from an unknown species of hominid that split from modern human ancestors about 1.1 million years ago. These long-lost human cousins must have then interbred with modern humans sometime before the common ancestral lineage of the three hunter-gatherer groups separated about 30,000 to 70,000 years ago, Akey says.

Wow. Not that long ago, either. Genetically speak.

Awesome stuff,but i hate to say it,that horrible alien movie series SPECIES popped right into my head.

I'm hopeless :)

Might explain Republicans . . .

Why the attempt to start an arguement not related to the thread?

• Like 1

I cant wait to know more about our origins, so facinating!

Why the attempt to start an arguement not related to the thread?

I'll assume thread derailment.

It's fun for those not involved.

That's a great article. I do believe that our ancestors could have maybe interbred with other human species that are now extinct.They ought to try people from other parts of the world to see what they might come up with in regards to dna. It's possible many europeans have Neanderthal dna amongst Cro Magnon,etc.

Come on Simbi - Species wasn't that bad, at least I and II. Any movie with Natasha in can't be all bad. This evidence might explain why certain traits are more dominant than others in interracial children. There may have been more than one "missing link".

Actually (not that I think this topic is misplaced on the boards) when I see an article like this one, it indicates further evidence confirming a theory I've held for many years now...

That being that Homo Sapiens were not the first 'Human' species to circumnavigate the globe...

Elves anyone?

Actually (not that I think this topic is misplaced on the boards) when I see an article like this one, it indicates further evidence confirming a theory I've held for many years now...

That being that Homo Sapiens were not the first 'Human' species to circumnavigate the globe...

Elves anyone?

And how exactly is that confirmed, since there's no evidence for any member of the genus Homo having existed in North America or South America prior to the arrival of modern humans c.15,000 BP

cormac

This sounds very intriguing.

Especially because it makes sense on how Humans that we know today, might actually be the off-spring of other now extinct hominids.

Though, we can look at Asians with the large eye sockets and the Africans with their genetics that cause large muscle enhancement. We might still have other forms of hominid roaming amongst us.

Based on the following from last year, it appears we may have had at least 4 lines mixing with ours in the past:

Here we use DNA sequence data gathered from 61 non-coding autonomic regions in a sample of three sub-Saharan African populations (Mandenka, Biaka, and San) to test models of African archaic admixture. We use two complementary approximate-likelihood approaches and a model of human evolution that involves recent population structure, with and without gene flow from an archaic population. Extensive simulation results reject the null model of no admixture and allow us to infer that contemporary African populations contain a small proportion of genetic material (~2%) that introgressed ~35 kya from an archaic population that split from the ancestors of anatomically modern humans ~700 kya.

http://www.pnas.org/content/108/37/15123.full.pdf

cormac

"Human "sister" species detected. By studying DNA samples extracted from 15 hunter-gatherer people living in Cameroon and Tanzania, a team of biologists was able to detect the genetic signature of a long-extinct species closely related to humans. This related species to the modern human most likely existed in isolation for a long time, but its DNA eventually joined the Homo sapiens gene pool through interbreeding. "There is a signal that demands explanation, and archaic admixture seems to be the most reasonable one at this point," says UC Santa Cruz genome biologist Richard "Ed" Green. More research will be needed to differentiate this mysterious species from Neanderthals and Denisovans. [Science News]"

http://www.sciencene...ousin_to_humans

So that's another new sister species. They already found one in China:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/14/red-deer-cave-people-species-human

And how exactly is that confirmed, since there's no evidence for any member of the genus Homo having existed in North America or South America prior to the arrival of modern humans c.15,000 BP

cormac

Lol, I remember I once had a discussion with 'Legioromanes/Marduk' about this.

I once visited a little museum (La Recoleta,Jesuits) in Arequipa. Peru, and there they showed a fossilized skull of an obvious 'primitive' human, with large protruding eyebrows. They had dug it up near a river.

There are times I think I only dreamt it...

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=134193&st=795&p=2653304entry2653304

Edited by Abramelin

This reminds me of an episode of Sliders where they mention a theory from the 60's about another line which was basically a predatory human species, can anyone remember the name of that theory?

Edit - Remembered, it was this

Edited by Cyaneyed