Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Dark Figure

ImmortalSupernaturalAlien

So, this happened to me when I was 8 years old. I was living in Long Beach, California at the time. It was the year 2001. I was living in an apartment building, I was taking a shower, and my mom was in the laundry room with her friend down the hall from the apartment. The bathroom had 2 doors; one for the sink and the other for the toilet and the bathtub. So, I was alone of coourse, and someone knoecked the door 3 times, I said "who is it?" Nobody answered. And, for some reason, I just knew it wasnt my mom because she woud've said my name. So, I wrapped myself in my towel, opened the door, and there it was. I saw a tall, pitch black figure. It wasn't walking, it was floating. And from what I remember, it passed by the hall towards the kitchen. I felt like following it, but afraid at the same time. I remember feeling like it was there for a long time, but it just passed by for 3 or 4 seconds. Now that I'm older and that I keep thinking about, I keep wondering to myself, what was it? why did it appear to me only that time in my life? could it be something good or bad?

• Like 1

Well there is the theory that children are more sensitive to that kind of thing because they haven't yet been taught by the world that it's impossible yet. Maybe you never experienced it again because you were reaching the age where that kind of thing became to improbable for you to perceive anymore.

As to what it was......who can say for sure?

• Like 2

Exactly as OverSword said, children are more susceptible to spiritual contact in most cases. But at the same time it could be a hallucination.

Had anyone close to you passed away before that time, if so then they might have been trying to reach you.

Allow me to quote OverSword, Who can say for sure?

Well, I'm sure it wasn't a hallucination. How do you explain the doorknocks? And yeah, I had family pass away, but I never knew them because they are in another country.

Who can say for sure?

Well, I'm sure it wasn't a hallucination. How do you explain the doorknocks? And yeah, I had family pass away, but I never knew them because they are in another country.

Who can say for sure?

There are accounts from people with near death experiences of being contacted by dead relatives they had never met in life including stillborn siblings.

From what my mom has told me, the last person that died WAY before that incident was my uncle. Still weird....

So, this happened to me when I was 8 years old. I was living in Long Beach, California at the time. It was the year 2001. I was living in an apartment building, I was taking a shower, and my mom was in the laundry room with her friend down the hall from the apartment. The bathroom had 2 doors; one for the sink and the other for the toilet and the bathtub. So, I was alone of coourse, and someone knoecked the door 3 times, I said "who is it?" Nobody answered. And, for some reason, I just knew it wasnt my mom because she woud've said my name. So, I wrapped myself in my towel, opened the door, and there it was. I saw a tall, pitch black figure. It wasn't walking, it was floating. And from what I remember, it passed by the hall towards the kitchen. I felt like following it, but afraid at the same time. I remember feeling like it was there for a long time, but it just passed by for 3 or 4 seconds. Now that I'm older and that I keep thinking about, I keep wondering to myself, what was it? why did it appear to me only that time in my life? could it be something good or bad?

maybe you had your period early? i heard tat having a period makes you do weird things and be come forgetful

maybe you had your period early? i heard tat having a period makes you do weird things and be come forgetful

o_O umm no I had my period 2 years later, but i was starting puberty. lol

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen a black shadow hovering over my grandpa while he was asleep. The lights turned on and off rather fast and i earn in to see what it was about when the light was on for that split sec i saw him. A skinny figure with a hat on looked at me and and disappeared and the lights went out. Never saw it again. And my grandparents are hard core Christians so of course they did not believe me.

• Like 1

it passed by the hall towards the kitchen.

Hey just curious, can you describe it's movements, sorry I didn't read the rest of the responses. Did it move in a random way or did it's movement have a strange order to it, such as moving straight down the hallway (in a perfect straight line) as if it were constrained to that line only?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey just curious, can you describe it's movements, sorry I didn't read the rest of the responses. Did it move in a random way or did it's movement have a strange order to it, such as moving straight down the hallway (in a perfect straight line) as if it were constrained to that line only?

Yeah, it just moved perfecly straight. Sorry, but I havent been here in awhile and havent read this. Also, it was floating a fre inches from the ground. I don't really remember making weird movements.

Yeah, it just moved perfecly straight. Sorry, but I havent been here in awhile and havent read this. Also, it was floating a fre inches from the ground. I don't really remember making weird movements.

Wow, I have only recently thought I'd see if for other people, these things tend to move in order. Someone I know told me about a time when he had sleep paralysis, but he thought it was a demon, but he described that it came toward him down the hallway in a perfect straight line and when it turned into his bedroom it turned in a perfect corner way if that makes sense (what he saw was a black hooded figure, about a foot off the ground too). I get sleep paralysis and have seen some strange things but I have noticed that they move in a strange perfect order, like as if they aren't natural or are programmed. People who report alien abduction experiences also sometimes tend to describe that the aliens seem to move quite rigidly or stiff. I have no idea what I think about it, just pondering different/similar characteristics of such experiences.

Maybe it's been around more than once but you only SAW it just the one time.

Wow, I have only recently thought I'd see if for other people, these things tend to move in order. Someone I know told me about a time when he had sleep paralysis, but he thought it was a demon, but he described that it came toward him down the hallway in a perfect straight line and when it turned into his bedroom it turned in a perfect corner way if that makes sense (what he saw was a black hooded figure, about a foot off the ground too). I get sleep paralysis and have seen some strange things but I have noticed that they move in a strange perfect order, like as if they aren't natural or are programmed. People who report alien abduction experiences also sometimes tend to describe that the aliens seem to move quite rigidly or stiff. I have no idea what I think about it, just pondering different/similar characteristics of such experiences.

Come to think about it, since i only saw this figure for 2-3 seconds, I think it WAS a hooded figure. becuase it was pitch black ffrom head to toe. Maybe a demon? Who knows...

Maybe it's been around more than once but you only SAW it just the one time.

I guess, but me at that age (8) I was only playing around outside with my friends and having good childhood fun. :)

It can be difficult with the passage of time to know just what it was... I've been in the shower before and kind of heard noises that could be strange but I put them down to the sound of the water distorting things and muffling them sort of. So my question is (if you remember), when you heard the knocks was the water running?

Also what happened next? Did you tell your mum?

It can be difficult with the passage of time to know just what it was... I've been in the shower before and kind of heard noises that could be strange but I put them down to the sound of the water distorting things and muffling them sort of. So my question is (if you remember), when you heard the knocks was the water running?

Also what happened next? Did you tell your mum?

Yes, I remember. The water wasn't running at all, completely shut off. What happened next was, I asked who it was, noone answered, I quickly covered myself with the towel, opened the door, and there it was, the tall, pitch black figure that was floating. Yes, I told my mom after she came back with her friend from the laundy that was down the hall from the apartment.

OP, i think it was a random encounter with a shadow demon. if you stop thinking about it, it won't happen again. thinking about them is like inviting them in your life.

it came toward him down the hallway in a perfect straight line and when it turned into his bedroom it turned in a perfect corner way if that makes sense (what he saw was a black hooded figure, about a foot off the ground too)

I have seen a dark cloaked figure hovering/floating about half a foot, give or take, off of the floor. It crept up silently and how it caught my attention was something moving infront of the oven-clock in the unlit kitchen. it's up 4 steps and there is no door there and the couch where I was was only a few feet from the steps. We were very close and just kind of stared at eachother. Was in shock for a few minutes. Hadn't seen anything so clear and there before that, had only ever really heard things or saw something darting through quickly that wasn't fully opaque. This guy was. Filled the entire doorway almost except for it's sides to the door way which consisted of only a few inches and then the space between it's bottom and the floor.

Eventually it seemed right to speak to it since it looked like it was contemplating whether or not to come down the stairs towards me or not. It would kind of twitch/lean/star out forwards an inch or two and then settle back in place. So I spoke up and asked "Hey, what's up? What are you doing here?" and it backed up a few feet then was gone in a matter of a few seconds. This was such a long time ago. Been a few years, maybe 6years give or take a few months? The every second of the encounter has been burned into my memory. Haven't seen it since either. But have seen shadow figures and other, more human-like, beings pace through and venture through the kitchen from time to time. They always either look towards whoever is looking at them or they keep perfect eye contact the entire time they are up there. One looked so real I had grabbed a wooden stool seat/top and ran out after him. Didn't realize something about his look was wayyyyyyyyyy off until I'd stopped for a moment and could actually think about what had happened instead of "WHO IS IN MY HOUSE? OOOOH NO. Not going to happen, bro."

Others in my family, majorly (almost exclusively) the women as far as I know, have seen someone/thing walk through the kitchen before that wasn't there at all.

A lot of people seem to have encounters with shadow people in hats, cloaks, and/or straight up body figures all over the place. Maybe it was a manifestation of something within you or another family member at the time, maybe it was drawn towards it, or they just get around quite a bit and hop around house to house to see who notices them.

OP, i think it was a random encounter with a shadow demon. if you stop thinking about it, it won't happen again. thinking about them is like inviting them in your life.

First of all, I never think about it all the time, because if I do, then maybe it will come back. But what I said was that it has made me wonder what it was this whole time. I haven't seen anything else after that happened all these years

First of all, I never think about it all the time, because if I do, then maybe it will come back. But what I said was that it has made me wonder what it was this whole time. I haven't seen anything else after that happened all these years

And thats why I said it was probably a random encounter. Consider yourself lucky. If you are not sensitive to otherwordly entities and you wont think about that encounter then there are not too many chances that you will see it again. However, if you are sensitive or it was a deliberate manifestation or an attempt to contact you, you might encounter it again because these things are always around every living human being. These are the demons that a majority of holy scriptures speak of. Belief in true God is the only thing that can defeat these demonic entities.

They also form a dark part of ourselves and are bound to each human for life, which some psychologists tried to explain away as shadow-self as a part of human psyche. However, this inner shadow is very living and forms a bridge betwen your mind and the extrinsic demons and thats how they come to know your secrets and your thoughts. Many encounters are manifestations of extrinsic demons and some very few are manifestation of your own inner-shadow doppelganger.

If you want to know more you can PM me anytime.

Edited by XingWi

And thats why I said it was probably a random encounter. Consider yourself lucky. If you are not sensitive to otherwordly entities and you wont think about that encounter then there are not too many chances that you will see it again. However, if you are sensitive or it was a deliberate manifestation or an attempt to contact you, you might encounter it again because these things are always around every living human being. These are the demons that a majority of holy scriptures speak of. Belief in true God is the only thing that can defeat these demonic entities.

They also form a dark part of ourselves and are bound to each human for life, which some psychologists tried to explain away as shadow-self as a part of human psyche. However, this inner shadow is very living and forms a bridge betwen your mind and the extrinsic demons and thats how they come to know your secrets and your thoughts. Many encounters are manifestations of extrinsic demons and some very few are manifestation of your own inner-shadow doppelganger.

If you want to know more you can PM me anytime.

In God I do believe for I am a Christian myself :) And, yes only God can take away these demonic beings. I'm just glad nothing like this has happened again.

Since it happened a while back, maybe you are mixing up a scary emotional moment with a dream and it has nothing to do with the paranormal at all.

Could have been a hypnagogic hallucination or sleep paralysis that you remember differently after the passage of time.

Just my couple of cents.