Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man Charged After Alligator Eats His Hand

Still Waters

A Florida airboat captain whose hand was bitten off by an alligator is facing charges over his attempt to feed the animal.

Collier County Jail records show that Wallace Weatherholt, 63, has been charged with unlawfully feeding the alligator and has posted a $1,000 (£640) bond.

His next court date is August 22.

http://news.sky.com/...r-eats-his-hand

• Like 5

He must be well and truly chewed up over this....arrgghh god...that was lame even by my standards..

Edited by BrianPotter
  • Like 3

Note to Jackasses everywhere: If planning a trip to Florida, take your prison jammies.

• Like 5

Hey, come on, it borders on animal cruelty to feed an animal with alcohol, nicotine and medication ridden flesh.

• Like 5

Well done, give him a hand!!!

You might as well 'cos the bail will cost him an arm and a leg. ;)

• Like 7

Well done, give him a hand!!!

You might as well 'cos the bail will cost him an arm and a leg. ;)

Excellent punning skills!

• Like 5

Note to Jackasses everywhere: If planning a trip to Florida, take your prison jammies.

Ha ha very witty...I liked that... and I took note lol

• Like 5

I bet he takes the phrase "bite me" out of his vocabulary now. Because if he doesn't and keeps saying it, you know somebody will eventually notice his missing hand and say "Yeah, well it looks like somebody beat me too it, buddy".

• Like 3

Well, I'm having great difficulty seeing the funny side to this, everbody. They killed the alligator for doing...what exactly? For having something to eat? For just being an ordinary alligator? Or was it to chop him open to retrieve the hand? Nevermind the hand, I say. "Do not feed the alligators!!"

Man and his crazy ways.

I will never know.

• Like 5

Well, I'm having great difficulty seeing the funny side to this, everbody. They killed the alligator for doing...what exactly? For having something to eat? For just being an ordinary alligator? Or was it to chop him open to retrieve the hand? Nevermind the hand, I say. "Do not feed the alligators!!"

Man and his crazy ways.

I will never know.

I didn't like the idea of killing the alligator either...

• Like 5

Feeding an alligator makes them associate humans with food. Darwin's theory of natural selection is still working.

• Like 1

Feeding an alligator makes them associate humans with food. Darwin's theory of natural selection is still working.

I think they have associated us with food from the moment we left the trees, lol.

• Like 1

LMAO

Fly, don't moon an alligator or you may not have one left. :passifier:

• Like 2

I think they have associated us with food from the moment we left the trees, lol.

If we look at the Borneo jungle they considered us as food even before we left the trees. Occasionally an ape falls into the water.

• Like 1

WHAT?!! They "tracked down and killed the alligator." ????? oh ****. :no:

SO they are charging a guy for 1000 bux because he fed the gator, now is missing a hand, and the people that shot the animal dead is getting let off?

Hmmmmmm. I can see the justice there. Bad man for feeding animals how dear you (sarcasm)

Edited by The Id3al Experience

The alligator just did what he does best. There is no reason to kill it. Guy deserved to lose his hand, alligator did not deserve to lose its life.

• Like 1

DON'T FEED THE ALLIGATORS!! This happen not to far south of me. Idiot, the guy is a tour boat captain, he knows it is against the law and why. When you feed them they associate humans with food. They don't know the difference between your hand and a fish. Your hand is just a bonus. You don't even have to have a fish, just resting your hand on the side of the boat can cause one to attack, especially if they've been feed. On top of that he put all those people in danger. Gators can jump high enough to land in the boat or overturn the boat. I have seen them jump at gator farm shows. I think they were lenient with him. Once a gator has been getting food from humans they become very dangerous and authorities have no choice but to kill them. Feeding a gator is a death sentence for the gator. <_<

• Like 3

I know a man in Gainesville, Florida (yes, the land of the University of Florida Gators) who had his arm removed by an alligator. This particular gator lived in a lake at a popular botanic garden and had lived in the lake many years, causing no trouble, and the man knew it was there. Then one day while working near the pond the gator lunged from the water and grabbed him, pulling him into the lake (presumably to drown him). By poking the gator in the eyes and hitting it, it let go, but not before going into a spin and tearing off his arm. The gator was killed which is standard procedure for any gator that attacks humans. Surgeons were not able to reattach the arm as it was mangled and he has a metal hook type hand now. He holds no hatred for the gator and said it was just doing what a gator does. But this is what happens when a gator is habituated to humans and why it is extremely dangerous to feed them; then they associate humans with food. Most people who live near them do everything they can to make them afraid of humans so they run from you and not think of you as dinner. That way they live and you live.

• Like 2