Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A billionaire's plan to clone a dinosaur

Still Waters

THE suggestion would be considered unbelievable - if it involved anyone other than Clive Palmer.

The controversial billionaire is rumoured to be planning to clone a dinosaur from DNA so he can set it free in a Jurassic Park-style area at his new Palmer Resort in Coolum.

Mr Palmer has, apparently, been in deep discussion with the people who successfully cloned Dolly the sheep to bring his dinosaur vision to life.

If Mr Palmer can resurrect the Titanic, what is to stop him from trying with another of his other alleged passions - dinosaurs?

This is just one of the rumours circulating about Mr Palmer's plans for Coolum.

And while the concept sounds like a joke, it apparently comes from a source close to Mr Palmer's inner circle.

http://www.sunshinec...sunshine-coast/

The natives up Coolum way are already getting restless about Big Clive's mega-resort expansion, the thought of a Diplodocus escaping onto the highway could be too much.

Not the first time I've heard this. I don't think hes the only one doing it either. Jurrasic park ....didn't they see the movie ?

This idea sounds so familiar.... Like I've seen it already...

Star wars? ;)

One thing about Clive, he is never boring. Very far-sighted in acquiring mining tenements, decades ago, that are now worth a bomb in a resource-starved world. When the Titanic II is launched will be huge news, I'm sure the publicity literature will emphasise an important departure from the original, that is, many more lifeboats !

Uh...where's he going to get the dinosaur DNA in order to do this cloning? To my knowledge there's only been a miniscule amount (fragmented sequences) of dino DNA ever even found.

• Like 1

Wasn't the only way to really gather and clone dinosuar DNA... To use a Chicken? lol Seriously though, it was to reverse effects of evolution in the chicken. (still won't make you a T - rex though, just a small upright dino... pretty much a hairless toothed, tailed and clawed chicken.. lol)

The reason this is being jumped on now,is because someone found viable full chains of DNA. I think last year.

Hold on .

post-126933-0-12299700-1344000055_thumb.

The future is looking brighter and brighter..

• Like 1

311oxfp.jpg

Less fantasising about movies, more exercise.

He'll be lucky to see 60, let alone the re-emergence of dinosaurs.

• Like 2

311oxfp.jpg

My step dad died of a Heart attack at 50 and looked far healthier than that. I think you are being generous.

Never understood how such rich people cna be so unhealthy. I get that you can buy loads of junk food and live off takeaway. But why would you?! I mena oyu could eat healthy takeaway meals and afford loads of fresh fruit and veg. Just pay soemone else ot prepare it. Also you could afford a decent home gym.

Some people waste their money and their rich lives....

T Rex DNA to boot.

I'm pretty sure they are others .

http://m.discovermag...pr/dinosaur-dna

http://www.popsci.co...-year-old-beast

Wooly mammoth too

Intresting....

OK here is my theory, this is the guy who is building the "titanic" yeah? I bet he uses that to tkae tourists to dino island... The ship hits something, everyone is stranded on dino island.. People die. It gets poste don UM I say... Told ya so... Here's my proof.. Wher ei direct everyone to this post. We all discus show sutpid it was.

I would like to see a T Rex or living dinosaur though. lol

• Like 1

311oxfp.jpg

He's 58 and I don't think he's going anywhere for a while. You don't need to worry about dinosaurs. It's the rest of his plans that are the concern.

And who will be the first to be eaten? lol

Though there is a part of me that thinks it would be pretty awesome to see a living TRex (or wolly mammoth or whatever), I hope this isn't true. How about spending some of that money on the planet's wildlife that is currently facing extinction instead? Or perhaps bringing back species recently made extinct through our own ignorance?

edited because I can't spell at all today. :/

Edited by sarah_444
  • Like 1

The reason this is being jumped on now,is because someone found viable full chains of DNA. I think last year.

Hold on .

Thank You for this, very very interesting, and quite spectacular, so Thank You for sharing this with us :)

• Like 1

Is it too early for Purina to corner the market on Dinosaur Chow?

• Like 1

I'm going to want one .Later for a watch dog .I need a watch Rex. The Poopy scooping will be back breaking though .

• Like 1

T Rex DNA to boot.

I'm pretty sure they are others .

http://m.discovermag...pr/dinosaur-dna

They found collagen within the bones, a protein rather than DNA. I got quite excited when the news first came out :lol: They could use the protein to sequence some DNA, but all that would get them is the DNA to make collagen.

Wasn't the only way to really gather and clone dinosuar DNA... To use a Chicken? lol Seriously though, it was to reverse effects of evolution in the chicken. (still won't make you a T - rex though, just a small upright dino... pretty much a hairless toothed, tailed and clawed chicken.. lol)

Theres a show called TED on netflix about cloning a "dino-chicken"

well, he can think of cloning a dinosaur but it's not possible

More interested in cloning a billion $, not a serious proposal, but gets publicity !

Another thread was mentionning overpopulation, time to merge them after compition of the cloning :whistle:

• Like 1

i this happens i reckon it wont long till there is t-rex in battle armor in iraq and diplodocus super tanks haha, or splicing the dna with humans for super soldier programs.

or even big game hunting i can just see the advertising:

BORED or hunting and killing deer or rabbits............

Come to BIG JUSSASIC HUNTING

Kill yourself a Veloceraptor, Skin a Triceratops

Update -

Clive Palmer, Australian Billionaire, Denies Plans For Real-Life Jurassic Park -

Rumors are running wild that a real-life Jurassic Park is in the works, but after the man behind the project has denied the claims, only one question remains: Will life find a way?

http://www.huffingto..._n_1737567.html

• Like 1