Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Traces of 2,500-year old chocolate found

Still Waters

Archaeologists say they have found traces of 2,500-year-old chocolate on a plate in the Yucatan peninsula, the first time they have found ancient chocolate residue on a plate rather than a cup, suggesting it may have been used as a condiment or sauce with solid food.

Experts have long thought cacao beans and pods were mainly used in pre-Hispanic cultures as a beverage, made either by crushing the beans and mixing them with liquids or fermenting the pulp that surrounds the beans in the pod. Such a drink was believed to have been reserved for the elite.

But the discovery announced this week by Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History expands the envelope of how chocolate may have been used in ancient Mexico.

http://www.telegraph...-chocolate.html

• Like 2

My heavens...if it lasted 2 and a half minutes in our house,it would have done well..!

• Like 3

It probably would not have been as sweet as today's chocolate... Would it have been more like the kind that is used by bakers and cooks?

• Like 1

I'm going to guess by the way the article reads it's more likely a cooking or unsweetened chocolate.

• Like 1

It was Europeans--either the Swiss or the Belgians, I believe (or was it the Dutch?) who came up with the idea of putting sugar in chocolate. You're correct in stating that it was unsweetened in its use in ancient Central America and Mexico.

Whichever of the three countries came up with sweetened chocolate, God bless them. Abundantly and eternally. :yes::nw::clap:

• Like 3

I tried raw cacao bean one time, it was nasty. Upset my stomach, too. I love dark chocolate, but that was a bit too dark.

Maybe the archaeologist was munching on a stale Hershey's bar whilst digging. :passifier:

• Like 1

mmmmnumm chocolate... wonder if they made any marquise au chocolat back then which is a chocolate cake filled with chocolate mouse (or moose) (even mousse) and covered with a ganache (chocolate frosting made with dark chocolate cream and butter)

• Like 2