Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would you ever...

Mnemonix

Would you ever...  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ever convert to Islam

No I am not dividing anybody, just sharing my opinion on religion. I do not hate religion (I mentioned it is the building blocks of civilisation), I just think it is a flawed concept. You are spot on about us being divided whatever our situation, if its not religion its race or sex. Remove religion, sex and race from the world then, eye colour, height, taste, will become ways of dividing ourselves (they already are). You must admit the divisions caused in the modern world by religion do not compare to the examples you mentioned.

Its a bit much throwing the word 'immature' into the mix (I am sure you mean this a generalisation rather than aimed at myself), I could have labelled people that followed religion as 'unintelligent' but thought better of it as it could have been seen as immature or inflammatory.

We all call out each others beliefs all the time on UM, every time a thread mentions God/Religion/Faith/Afterlife/Devil it is calling out my beliefs, please don't take my comments too personally or as an attack on your beliefs. You are just as entitled to your beliefs as I am entitled to not believing them. :)

lol its not my beliefs :P but thx and no you seem pretty mellow its just seems like some people are on a high horse because they are atheist which seems kinda crazy to me, thx for the response :D

I'm a Muslim, was raised that way. But am becoming uncertain.

God doesn't seem to be the Loving, Merciful God I perceived Him to be. When practicing, I don't feel like myself. So now I feel lost.

Lrak your one of my more Favorite posters on here and i think you shouldnt judge "god" on how the world is or why he /she/it does things. cuz you wont get a answer just try and find what makes you happy.
  • Like 2

Lrak your one of my more Favorite posters on here and i think you shouldnt judge "god" on how the world is or why he /she/it does things. cuz you wont get a answer just try and find what makes you happy.

Haha, thanks. I'm keeping myself neutral and searching for knowledge, in the hope that I may find the truth someday.

• Like 1

lol its not my beliefs :P but thx and no you seem pretty mellow its just seems like some people are on a high horse because they are atheist which seems kinda crazy to me, thx for the response :D

No problem notoverrated. :)

I just assumed you were coming from a belief point of view. And you know what they say about assumptions...

Edited by Junior Chubb

Haha, thanks. I'm keeping myself neutral and searching for knowledge, in the hope that I may find the truth someday.

keep searching buddy :D

No problem notoverrated. :)

I just assumed you were coming from a belief point of view. And you know what they say about assumptions...

lol ya alot of people do :P its just my mom and grandmother are very religious and are great people so i think i try and defend them as much as possible :P

I'm a Muslim, was raised that way. But am becoming uncertain.

God doesn't seem to be the Loving, Merciful God I perceived Him to be. When practicing, I don't feel like myself. So now I feel lost.

Lot's of people do become uncertain... It is all about how a belief in God can appeal to us.. Like - Is it working out like I had hoped? Can I try something different ? What if this and that? it is natural to feel how you do

• Like 1

i seriously dont understand why some of you on here are so heated towards religion.

Just my thoughts... I'm OK with religion, per se, and I try to make it some part of my life.

But one of the problems I have with Islam is a seeming tendency for them to strive to create Islamic states all over the world.

That is, forming a total theocractic goverment ruling the populace by Islamic law !

I'll be damned if I ever live in a total theocracy, especially an Islamic theocracy.

I would gladly, and with eyes wide open, be shot in the head than to submit to Islam.

Once again, it's not the people I hate, it's the ideaology and it's admitted goals.

• Like 1

it's the ideaology and it's admitted goals.

Surely that would be some peoples interpretations of those goals?

I think this is the one of the problems with religion, how people interpret the same passages to mean very different things.

Surely that would be some peoples interpretations of those goals?

I think this is the one of the problems with religion, how people interpret the same passages to mean very different things.

i think so to. with every great idea you have the guy who looks at it to fit his selfish needs and goals. you dont have to look no farther then the United states siuation right now all the people in power are pretty much "screwing over" the bottom half to keep their pockets full.

Given sufficient evidence. :)

It's good to see someone with an open mind.

I'm doing my best to keep my mind open, it's the only way to learn and progress.

I think that if God gave me the ability to think, I might as well use it.

• Like 1

Islam, like Mormonism, is easy to evaluate. Yes or no, did an angel of Allah reveal the Koran to Mohammed? Did another angel lead Joseph Smith to the golden plates?

I believe that both claims are false. So, I believe that I will not ever voluntarily become a Muslim or a Mormon. There would be no other reason to be a Muslim or Mormon voluntarily than to believe the personal revelation claim at each religion's base.

Raptor raises the future evidence question, and places a smiley after it. Maybe he took the course. If I believe something, then I correspondingly disbelieve that further evidence will refute that position. I could be wrong, but the poll question concerns my future behavior, about which I could now be wrong anyway. All I can answer now is as to my belief now, which necessarily entails a belief now about how future evidence is likely to turn out.

No, none of the Abrahamic religions have any merit as far as I am concerned and joining because "everybody else is" is not good reason to do anything. I was called to my path, I can't unlearn what i have learned. I will always remain a child of the Earth.

• Like 1

No, none of the Abrahamic religions have any merit as far as I am concerned and joining because "everybody else is" is not good reason to do anything. I was called to my path, I can't unlearn what i have learned. I will always remain a child of the Earth.

I guessed as much, thank you for the post.

I'm looking for opinions, reasons or basically what others have to say about this faith. Maybe someone will give something that hits me and gives me something to reflect upon.

You seem like an intelligent person, why don't you just read the Quran and just take it for what it is. Don't let others tell you what it says you decide for yourself. If you agree with it then go with it, if you don't then walk away. Like all thinks in life you must make up your own mind. You really don't sound like you are agreeing with what is says and you are looking for someone to tell you it is ok to leave.

• Like 2

You seem like an intelligent person, why don't you just read the Quran and just take it for what it is. Don't let others tell you what it says you decide for yourself. If you agree with it then go with it, if you don't then walk away. Like all thinks in life you must make up your own mind. You really don't sound like you are agreeing with what is says and you are looking for someone to tell you it is ok to leave.

I suppose it's like that in a way. I feel like I'm in conflict with my conscience if I just abandon my religious duties. There are some teachings which I like about the religion, but some things leave me uncertain.

But I agree with you, I must make up my mind eventually.

Thank you.

• Like 2

no, im an atheist, and i dont agree with the idea of organised religion as people use it to excuse their bigotry and hatred, so even if one day i do decide that i believe in god, i would never join a religion.

• Like 1

This is just a question, I want to hear your opinion. Nothing more.

Would you ever convert to Islam.

Why?

I'm not suggesting anything, it's just a question. So go easy, please. Thank you.

I just want to know your opinion, because "Islam is the world's fastest growing religion" and some people are convinced it's the truth.

While, others are very much against it. So I want to know your reason.

I'm Roman Catholic and believe firmly that Jesus is the Son God ~ I believe there is only one God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit so therefore would never convert to Islam. I'm not against any religion and that we should all be tolerant of one another.

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 1

I chose "No" but in retrospect I should have chosen "other" simply because I am not religious so there is nowhere for me to convert from.

I suppose it's like that in a way. I feel like I'm in conflict with my conscience if I just abandon my religious duties. There are some teachings which I like about the religion, but some things leave me uncertain.

But I agree with you, I must make up my mind eventually.

Thank you.

This might be a fase assumption, but i assume, given the multiple variants of islam, that an individual can follow the prophet and the quran and NOT be affiliated with any particularr religous variant within islam. For example i can live a christ like life and be a christian by choice, without ever being a member of a church and without ever attending one, or else attending a different denomination within christianity every week. In all religions there are positives and negatives. A thoughtful person will adapt self to religion and religion to self, to maximise the positive outcomes and limit the negative ones. All religions offer measurable positives to human beings, but one has to be selective.
  • Like 4

would I? Absolutely not. I have no problem with Muslims themselves, just the religion. I have too many issues with their holy book and their beliefs. I've read the Qur'an and I find nothing divine or wise about it. Of course it's a cool book because I find all holy books to be cool, but at the same time I find them cool in a more mythological way that I do anything else. For me reading The Bible or The Qur'an is like studying Greek mythology.

No. My "religion" is whatever life "tells me" it is, one day at a time, for however long this conscious lifetime lasts.

Too many truths and too much wisdom in every single text I've studied - and my minor leaves the study part non-optional, thankfully.

If it resonates, cool. If not, grow, learn and expand until, and then even after, something does. That's my outlook anyway.

• Like 1

Yes, allow me to sell myself to nonsense.

I want to look at multiple sides of an issue with a neutral state of mind, so I might find something that I may be missing...

The reasons, so far, that have been posted are

• Islam is restrictive/controlling/oppressive (mainly towards women)
  • Don't believe in Islam/religion/God (basically)

Did I miss anything?

And 1 vote for "yes", if given enough evidence.

While Islam may seem oppressive, many Muslims would go right ahead and say that Islam the opposite and that women have a respected position in society.

Edited by Lrak
  • Like 1