Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would you ever...

Mnemonix

Would you ever...  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ever convert to Islam

Actually a lot of believers will not like religion, and many times have come on here to make that statement they simply do not like organised religion of any kind, they prefer to pride themselves more on their personal relationship with God.. I find it understandable... We all have our own ideas and beliefs.. Each to their own...

Your post "spoke" to me, Becky's_Mom. I'm a Jewish girl with a religious dilemma. I believe in G-d and my Faith but I have doubt and confusion and problems with the story and history (fact v. fiction, etc) of Judaism, and with a lot of contemporary Jewish congregations (some are more like Country Clubs than Houses of Worship and Education).

I voted "other" because I would need to read the Quran first. My familiarity with Islam is too rudimentary to make converting a viable option at this time.

If I did convert, from what I know at this time I would want to become a member of the Sufi order. A large part of this feeling arises from my love for the work of the poet Rumi. I still remember when I first heard one of his poems and was told that the "Beloved" he addresses is Allah. I can embrace a doctrine in which love for God can be expressed in such a passionate way.

I hope that makes sense.

I'm spiritual and I believe it is possible there could be some infinite being out there that is ... somehow... a source of existence, but I refuse to define such a thing because I couldn't have enough understanding to do so.

Most religions are based on ancient documents that cannot be verified and are barely understood, and building such a structured system around such things is ridiculous to me. Some say that is what faith is for, but my faith lies in the idea that there is more truth in the patterns of nature, space and time than what any person or people could write.

Ah..yes, unfortunately "faith" is the pat, easy answer to every question that religious leaders cannot answer (and get mad because you ask.) They forget that even Paul said to examine everything carefully. (1Thess. 5:21)

• Like 1

After experiencing christianity, I have no desire to convert to *any* religion.

Verbatim.

I am a kind of person who don't mind if women wear topless swimsuits at the beach and have some flings with guys in the summer vacation. Actually, I wouldn't complain if my woman had a history of one night stands. It kinda sucks but as a former John it would be unfair for me to complain about that.

In that context, I don't think I can be a Muslim. And yes, I love steamed pork with herbs.

I'm a Muslim, was raised that way. But am becoming uncertain.

God doesn't seem to be the Loving, Merciful God I perceived Him to be. When practicing, I don't feel like myself. So now I feel lost.

Huh? I always had an impression that Muslims perceive Allah as the deity that people should obey no matter what.

I want to look at multiple sides of an issue with a neutral state of mind, so I might find something that I may be missing...

The reasons, so far, that have been posted are

• Islam is restrictive/controlling/oppressive (mainly towards women)
  • Don't believe in Islam/religion/God (basically)

Did I miss anything?

And 1 vote for "yes", if given enough evidence.

While Islam may seem oppressive, many Muslims would go right ahead and say that Islam the opposite and that women have a respected position in society.

It is a matter of culture, I believe. Here in the West, we strongly value our individualism and freedoms and we trace all them way to the Greeks when they warred with the Persians. That is the culture in which we are raised.

Muslims in the Middle East have a COMPLETELY different culture and philosophy.

Therefore, my argument is because I was raised with a different and very incompatible worldview in a very different and incompatible culture.

I grew up around Christianity (albeit Western Latin-based theology) and, at 29 years old, I am just starting to scratch the surface on what other theologies existed within Christianity before the West adopted primarily Latin Christianity from Carthage and Rome.

I think it's an interesting topic. I could never worship another God. According to scripture this will be demanded of people in the last few years of human government on the planet. When the question is asked at the point of a knife or barrel the answers we give may surprise even ourselves.

Does the deal come with a different wife for each day of the week, all with jobs paying in six figures?