Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Olympic ouster brings marijuana issue up

questionmark

American wrestler Stephany Lee, who missed the Olympics because she tested positive for marijuana, was at home in Colorado Springs when she heard that judoka Nicholas Delpopolo had been thrown out of the London Games after failing a drug test he blamed on inadvertently eating food baked with marijuana.

Delpopolo is 23, the same age Michael Phelps was when the swimmer was photographed inhaling from a marijuana pipe in 2009. Phelps, who never failed a drug test, apologized, received a three-month suspension from USA Swimming and is celebrated as the most decorated Olympian in history.

Read more

I wouldnt have it down as a performing enhancing drug, unless its the 10 mins giggle-thon.

But still its illegal so...

Thanks,

• Like 2

i personally dont see the appeal of weed but if someone wants to smoke a plant let them isnt harming me and i dont think anyone is a better swimmer/runner/lifter/boxer after getting high unless its like meth or something.

Well it is def not a "performance enhancing" substance as far as the physical human body is concerned. The Rasifarians call it 'God's plant" because it tends to make a lot of people introspective and thoughtful.

I think it should be legal...for God's sake, I have never met a violent pothead.

Let's be honest here...it is illegal because of the alcohol special interest groups...this is not a surprise. i used to smoke weed and I cannot think of a horrible thing I ever did while smoking weed....unless you consider all the cheetos I pounded down as mass murder. The Alcohol lobbyist do not want to legalize a thing they cannot profit from....I mean seriously...it is a weed....even a moron whose brain is so limited it is barely keeping the heart and lungs functioning can grow it....there is no profit in this kind of thing. An brain dead sponge could grow weed if it had hands to stick the seeds in the soil.

I say...legalize it and make everyone that wants to grow it buy a license....I totally disagree with that, but it seems a fair compromise.....oh wait....compromise...what a noble concept.

It is a natural thing....it should be allowed...hell...if you do a little research, it is a plant with a multi-faceted benefit package....

mary seeds are high in protein...equal to or greater than soy.

It produces more oxygen per acre than any other plant crop...

It can serve multiple pain based illnesses....

There is little bad versus the good....just to remind you again....

it is illegal because of alcohol lobbyist....there is nothing bad about this natural plant....nothing.

• Like 3

Well it is def not a "performance enhancing" substance as far as the physical human body is concerned. The Rasifarians call it 'God's plant" because it tends to make a lot of people introspective and thoughtful.

I think it should be legal...for God's sake, I have never met a violent pothead.

Let's be honest here...it is illegal because of the alcohol special interest groups...this is not a surprise. i used to smoke weed and I cannot think of a horrible thing I ever did while smoking weed....unless you consider all the cheetos I pounded down as mass murder. The Alcohol lobbyist do not want to legalize a thing they cannot profit from....I mean seriously...it is a weed....even a moron whose brain is so limited it is barely keeping the heart and lungs functioning can grow it....there is no profit in this kind of thing. An brain dead sponge could grow weed if it had hands to stick the seeds in the soil.

I say...legalize it and make everyone that wants to grow it buy a license....I totally disagree with that, but it seems a fair compromise.....oh wait....compromise...what a noble concept.

It is a natural thing....it should be allowed...hell...if you do a little research, it is a plant with a multi-faceted benefit package....

mary seeds are high in protein...equal to or greater than soy.

It produces more oxygen per acre than any other plant crop...

It can serve multiple pain based illnesses....

There is little bad versus the good....just to remind you again....

it is illegal because of alcohol lobbyist....there is nothing bad about this natural plant....nothing.

You would think that (if this is true) the alcohol lobbyists would see the opportunity, and push for legalization then corner the market in distribution/ marketing of the product - after all, someone will...

• Like 2

You would think that (if this is true) the alcohol lobbyists would see the opportunity, and push for legalization then corner the market in distribution/ marketing of the product - after all, someone will...

I read an article some years back where apparently Marlboro already has a plan in place for if / when pot is legalized. Packaging, marketing, distribution, etc.

That would seem logical but because it is so easy to grow, it would be literally impossible to regulate it.

I'm old. I quit smoking years ago because of social/professional reasons...but I have never lost my appreciation for the benefits of this natural thing.

Of course, just like any "thing" it can be abused to the point of detriment....I just think it is silly to make it so painfully illegal that we have thousands upon thousands of inmates over this thing.

As a Libertarian, I say...make it legal...make people get a license (as I said, I am against this but this is my "noble" attempt at compromise). I think the good earth provides many things just like this and we may as well let nature be nature.

An example....early in this countries development....they found out that certain mushrooms were psychedelic...they literally tried to 'stamp" them out....they then found their efforts actually caused the spores to spread and made 'more" mushrooms available...so they quit. You cannot stop the human curiosity....people will research and investigate....it is what we do. I say....let people. Some will not like it and others will....we are sentient beings...allow us to explore for our own edification.

I have done just about everything you can think of at one point or another. Some things I did not like and moved along...others...I found to be quite helpful and literally therapeutic....each and every human should have the right to explore these things for themselves. What is good for me might not be good for you....what I do not appreciate, you may love with a passion.

It is in us to explore....the land, the seas...the mind and the limits of reality.....why is this so bad?...it is what we do. hell we just dropped billions of dollars to explore a place (Mars) that none of us will ever get to see....but that is a good thing. and the capacity for individuals to explore reality is just as important and just as real.

I am not advocating certain things we know are absolutely bad...that is the whole point of doing research....Meth, coke....heroin...angel dust...we know what comes from this. What i am saying is...there really is a difference and we need to acknowledge that and let people be free to explore. Errr....I know...I am prob barking up a dead tree....some folks will never see that there really is a difference....that this whole "natural" versus "man-made" ....there is a reason the "man-made" fails. Nature made everything for a finely tuned, orchestrated ballet...it all works if we adhere to her rules and limits.....

Oh well....some will get it and some will call me a lunatic. I have aged beyond my "exploratory" days...but I will never forget them or the value they held....we need to allow all humans the right and ability to explore those regions of time and space.

I wouldnt have it down as a performing enhancing drug, unless its the 10 mins giggle-thon.

But still its illegal so...

Thanks,

The problem with Cannabis is that the chemicals it puts into your bloodstream are fat soluable.

If you smoke it a lot and are a fat individual then its metabolites will be detectable in your bloodstream for months afterwards. If you smoke it once or have a low BMI (as an Olympic athlete does) they are very unlikely to fail a drugs test.

Everything indicates this person was a habitual user.

So? Does it make him a better athlete? Would he have been excluded for being a regular alcohol consumer?

Jeremiah65 only touched the tip of the iceburg as far as the benefits from this unique and versitile plant. The list is overwhelming. Definitly worth checking out. It

And as well as possibly the alcohol industry, the cotton, chemical, and pharmaceutical corporations successfully lobbied to have it illegalized in '37.

The problem with Cannabis is that the chemicals it puts into your bloodstream are fat soluable.

If you smoke it a lot and are a fat individual then its metabolites will be detectable in your bloodstream for months afterwards. If you smoke it once or have a low BMI (as an Olympic athlete does) they are very unlikely to fail a drugs test.

Everything indicates this person was a habitual user.

Thanks for the reply, i dont know how it all works, thanks for the input!

Thanks,

A habitual user qualified for the olympics. What does that say about the supposed harm of the drug?

That kid is from my area. They were talking about it on the local radio shows this morning. Apparently the story is that he ingested the weed in some brownies that were hidden among the desert offerings at a recent family gathering (nice family). I guess there's even an affidavit from the family member in question.

It reminds me of the Canadian snowboarder, Ross Rebagliati, who won a gold medal in snowboarding in 1998 Olympics. He was originally stripped of his gold because THC was found in his system but later it was returned to him based on the fact that marijuana is not on the list of banned substances and is not considered to be "performance-enhancing". He claimed it was in his system from "second-hand" smoke. I never really bought that one, but felt that it was a good decision by the Olympic board. Mutual friends who knew him said he had been a puffer.

Rules are rules. Doesn't matter if it is performance enhancing or not. If the rules committee comes out and says mango's are on the list then you better make darn sure you are not training by or ingesting anything that could be a mango. It is that simple.

Personally, I think caffeine is more of a performance enhancer than cannibis but dem be da rulez! Anything that is considered illegal, as a drug, should be on the list. Even if it is negotiable whether or not it should be illegal. Equal footing for all in a competition setting.

Rules are rules. Doesn't matter if it is performance enhancing or not. If the rules committee comes out and says mango's are on the list then you better make darn sure you are not training by or ingesting anything that could be a mango. It is that simple.

Personally, I think caffeine is more of a performance enhancer than cannibis but dem be da rulez! Anything that is considered illegal, as a drug, should be on the list. Even if it is negotiable whether or not it should be illegal. Equal footing for all in a competition setting.

In the case I mentioned above, it states that THC was NOT on the list of banned substances. has that changed??

This decision was eventually overturned, largely on the basis that marijuana was not on the list of banned substances, and Rebagliati was given back the medal.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Rebagliati

Anything that is considered illegal, as a drug, should be on the list. Even if it is negotiable whether or not it should be illegal. Equal footing for all in a competition setting.

Pot is legal some places so where do we draw the line? If the drug illegal anywhere? Illegal within the host country? Many drugs available in Europe are banned in the US. Should those be automatic disquailifers also?

Edited by Bama13

It's the pharmaceutical companies who don't want it made legal... They would loose millions on te chemicals they sell us. One of the worst being Bayer. (just google Bayers back catalogue of nasties it has set upon the world)

Edited by Coffey

Pot is legal some places so where do we draw the line? If the drug illegal anywhere? Illegal within the host country? Many drugs available in Europe are banned in the US. Should those be automatic disquailifers also?

Here is the list, if the substance is on this list, no matter if contained in the morning tea or in a joint you are disqualified. And the only reason the IOC has to give to put anything on the list is that the committee had a toothache that morning.

Here is the list, if the substance is on this list, no matter if contained in the morning tea or in a joint you are disqualified. And the only reason the IOC has to give to put anything on the list is that the committee had a toothache that morning.

I was responding to the person that said any illegal drug should be on the banned list, but thanks for the info. I guess a career as an olympic curler is out for me. :cry: Oh well.

The thing is...it is an herb...could be your morning tea...it is not an evil thing....

I stopped partaking ages ago because society said I had to....but it did not make me hate what I knew was a good and natural thing.

If you hate it...you don't understand it and probably never will...it is not evil...the bending of what it does for humanity is evil.

Go on...hate...it seems to suit you...hate always prospers...erm....more hate...oh wowo...that is what I always invite into my life....you offer it...you get it in return...now accept the pain that comes with hate.....

It should be legal....it is less damaging than alcohol....it is waaaay less problematic...but let the stupes that have never participated have a voice...they think they know something...which they do....it's called ignorance.....

Valid point.

I believe the IOC is the governing body, as I believe it was already stated, so they are responsible for creating a fair and just list. We can argue the validity of the list but if they, the IOC, say it is banned, then it is banned. Responsibility then falls to the individual athlete to follow the rules, as written, and take any repercussions for actions that cross that magical line. The list shouldn't be negotiable from one athlete to the next.

The Netherlands

As usual, wrong. In the Netherlands Marihuana is not really legal but laws not enforced as long as it remains in civil amounts as enforcement is seen to be contra productive. And that is not only the Netherlands it is also Spain and Portugal (there also hard drugs) as long as you are not selling the stuff.