Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sheep to send text messages about wolves

Saru

Sheep in Switzerland could soon be able to raise the alert via text message when attacked by wolves.

Swiss sheep could soon be texting shepherds for help when they are being stalked or attacked by wolves. A Swiss biologist is developing a collar that can monitor a sheep's heart rate and spot when it is distressed.

arrow3.gifRead more...

And that's how population of wolves died...

Just kidding, it looks interesting. And it's probably good thing for some farmers, who cannot afford some protection for these peaceful and vulnerable animals.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Nice, seems a bit daft when i first read, but then again, save the farmer time and hassle plus money.

If developed could have good uses for other things or people.

Thanks for sharing.

They should give the sheep access to iTunes aswell.

:clap: That was awesome. Made me laugh!

• Like 1

They should wire all live stock .Maybe it would stop alien cattle mutilation foo .Or catch who's really doing it.

mankind stops evolution and natural selection

See mods. Yet another instance where a dislike button would save alot of time.

Angel, if you really feel that way then why don't you throw away everything including clothing and get as far away from civilization as possible and live by your wits and abilities. Soon you would experience natural selection first hand.

But back on topic.............Oh wait! My sheep is texting me

baaaa baaa baaaa

baaa baaaa baaaa!

love fluffy

• Like 1

C Ewe L8er!

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 4

Well there is nothing new there. You need to go back a long way to stop mankinds effect on the world...

See mods. Yet another instance where a dislike button would save alot of time.

I see your point, but I feel it better to be able to explain negativity (as you did) rather than just click a button. A positive can be given with a click, but a negative requires more explanation, I feel this helps push toward a more respectful and interactive forum.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

well this saves bullets (for shooting wolves)

Well it doesn't, because it's only alarm text message. You have to shoot the wolf anyway.

Natural selection? You mean it's interfering with the evolution of a race of ninja Sheep that can fight back against wolves?

Actually, I didn't know there was any wild wolves left anywhere in Europe. This is indeed, truly educational.

Edited by 747400
  • Like 1

a race of ninja Sheep

Imagine trying to herd those little gits into their pen...

All kidding aside, I don't think this idea will work very well in application. I highly suspect that a sheep's heart rate climbs not only when they're being attacked by wolves, but also when they're fighting with one another, mating, or just exerting themselves. Too much potential for false alarms IMO.

Add another texter to the group. All my kids text each other even when they are in the same room, and they are not teenagers anymore either. In this case it is not a bad idea. Natural selection is one thing but the sheep are domesticated and being farmed as part of someones livelyhood.

All kidding aside, I don't think this idea will work very well in application. I highly suspect that a sheep's heart rate climbs not only when they're being attacked by wolves, but also when they're fighting with one another, mating, or just exerting themselves. Too much potential for false alarms IMO.

... or climbing a Mountain, perhaps. Have they thought of that?

Anyway,surely this is a job for the Lonely Goatherd. It'd give them something more useful to do than sitting high on a hill going "yo-odel-ay-odel-ay-e-oo" all day. :-/

Help help the shepheard is chasing me LOL

Interesting................. A text saves the day for the textiles and creates a new stress testing job market in the meantime. Just think of all the possibilities........ :tsu: