Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dracula (1992)

Keel M.

Looking for general opinion/reviews of the 1992 version of Bram Stoker's Dracula movie. Am reading the book for a class for the first time and am mildly interested in seeing the film once the class I'm taking is over. Is it a well made movie?

• Like 2

So many things are great about that movie, the acting however is not one of them.

Except Gary Oldman as Dracula. Worth seeing just for him! :)

• Like 1

Its not a b movie if that's what you mean. Major motion picture...but...I wouldn't , and haven't watched it a second time.

I thought the cinematography in this movie was outstanding. There were a lot of cutting edge techniques used in the film. Keanu Reeves would not have been my first choice to play Jonathan Harker though. I was 22 when I saw the movie and it explained a lot more to me about 'who' Dracula was than I had ever known.

Overall, I loved the movie.

• Like 2

It's a very decent film. Not something you hold up to the grandkids and proclaim a triumph of film, but pretty loyal to the source material. There is a lot of subplot added to give certain characters more depth, but it is forced and sometimes distracting. Van Helsing's subplots are interesting, but steal from the overall pace. But the whole Gary Oldman VS Anthony Hopkins is great. You have to forgive Keanu for being Keanu. Putting him in a film with the likes of Hopkins and Oldman is akin to putting a College Boxer in the ring with Ali and Foreman. You can tell they know the moves, but they will never be great. Winona Ryder is blah. There is a wonderful but understated performance by Billy Campbell as Quincy Morris. I enjoy the film thoroughly.

• Like 2

It has It's moments. At the time,it was rather cool .A Halloween episode of The Simpsons did a spoof on it

You have to forgive Keanu for being Keanu. Putting him in a film with the likes of Hopkins and Oldman is akin to putting a College Boxer in the ring with Ali and Foreman. You can tell they know the moves, but they will never be great.

Fantastic view on that! :tu:

Winona Ryder is blah.

She is usually blah but fun to look at nonetheless. :P

• Like 1

Gary Oldman made the film. I love it when an actor who isn't traditionally associated with "leading man" roles is cast against type. His Dracula, for all the blood lust and violence, is still a tragic and romantic figure. I'd have fallen in love with him, and I'm not usually swayed by the "gooshy stuff."

• Like 1

What I'd like to know is what the hell happened to the good old fashioned vampire movies where the vampires just wanted to kill you?... not have a deep and loving relationship with you.

• Like 2

What I'd like to know is what the hell happened to the good old fashioned vampire movies where the vampires just wanted to kill you?... not have a deep and loving relationship with you.

Agreed... I mean - I love steak... but I don't love steak....

About the film though... It was one of the better modern adaptations of Stoker's book...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

About the film though... It was one of the better modern adaptations of Stoker's book...

Yes it was a nice adaptation.

My other top favorite vampire movies are:

Fright Night (the 1985 version)

From Dusk Til' Dawn

The Lost Boys

Salem's Lot

• Like 2

Oh come on people. Keanu Reeves.

Keanu Reeves!

He takes on vamps. Without an air guitar.

I mean, Gary Oldman is outstanding but come on.

Keanu Reeves.

He had an excellent adventure without Bill.

Edited by Antilles
  • Like 2

From Dusk Til' Dawn

The Lost Boys

Salem's Lot

Fright Night 1985 and Salem's Lot. Outstanding vamp movies.

• Like 1

From Dusk Til' Dawn

The Lost Boys

Salem's Lot

Being a big fan of comedy I would add:

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer" (the movie not the series)...

and "Love at First Bite"...

Edited by Taun

I'm not a big fan of the film at all but I really like the way so many of the effects were done in-camera, rather than using CGI techniques.

• Like 2

Salem's Lot scared me half to death...especially that scene where the kid's brother scratches at the window...the second floor window. Egad.

I loved The Lost Boys, and got a huge kick out of From Dusk Til Dawn.

I love the remake of Fright Night; Colin Farrell is so handsome, yet very menacing.

• Like 1

Try reading the book Lizzie! It's even worse than the movie in terms of scare factor. :P LOL

After so many positive reviews, I think it's a definite rental for me. Thanks!

• Like 2

Try reading the book Lizzie! It's even worse than the movie in terms of scare factor. :P LOL

After so many positive reviews, I think it's a definite rental for me. Thanks!

If you mean Salem's Lot, hon, I agree! I read it years ago, when I still lived with my parents. The night I finished it, I slept in a chair outside my parents' bedroom. At one point I heard a noise outside, and ran into their room to wake them up. My mom said, "That's it, no more scary books." :D

• Like 1

Another I feel more acurate protrale of the the actual person of vlad is a movie i once saw called

Dark Prince: The True Story of Dracula (2000).

Quotes

Radu: Why aren't you afraid? Why aren't you begging for your life, like any other man?!

Father Stefan: Because he's not like ANY OTHER MAN! And I knew it the moment he was delivered unto this world.

[to Dracula]

Father Stefan: God save me, had I one moment alone with you, I would have strangled you in your crib.

Vlad Dracula: You...you murdered my father!

Father Stefan: Because were your father unable to pay the Sultan's ransom...

Vlad Dracula: ...I'd be put to death.

Father Stefan: Our God has said to the prophets there would come an antichrist who would promise peace but deliver an apocalypse.

• Like 2

Incredibly lavish costumes and set pieces, but every scene involving Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder are cringe inducing like fingernails across a chalkboard. Beautiful to look at but heavily flawed by its cast members and its heavy handed melodrama.

Read the book, it is one of my favorite victorian horror novels that ranks alongside Turn Of The Screw by Henry James & The Island Of Dr Moreau by H.G. Wells.

If you mean Salem's Lot, hon, I agree! I read it years ago, when I still lived with my parents. The night I finished it, I slept in a chair outside my parents' bedroom. At one point I heard a noise outside, and ran into their room to wake them up. My mom said, "That's it, no more scary books." :D

Tee hee!

Salems lot is one of the creepiest books there is .

One of the best King books ever written, imo, yet one of its biggest common criticisms that it is nothing but a modern contemporary retake on Bram Stoker's Dracula. But I am one that didnt mind this fact because of its excellent build and produced plenty of late nite shivers and heebie-jeebies.

Speaking of vampire novels, any one here read I Am Legend by Richard Matheson?

• Like 1

Incredibly lavish costumes and set pieces, but every scene involving Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder are cringe inducing like fingernails across a chalkboard. Beautiful to look at but heavily flawed by its cast members and its heavy handed melodrama.

Haha, this describes it perfectly if you ask me. It's worth watching for Gary Oldman and the atmosphere. Anthony Hopkins is good too. I didn't really mind the melodrama though because at least it's a good story and still got bloody at times. But as previously stated, Keanu and Winona are awful.

• Like 2