Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

University receives $5M to study afterlife

Saru

Professor John Martin Fischer will be heading a research initiative called 'The Immortality Project'.

Fischer also said there is a "deep human need to figure out what happens to us after death" and that there have been many reports of near-death experiences, out-of-body experiences and past lives.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Nice, this is better than some of the stupid research scientists have been doing.

I have seen so many threads on here baout how scientists have "discovered" or "think" things any average person already knew. :td:

One of the big questions is the mortality issue. Would you want to be immortal if you lose your chnace to never see the afterlife which could be way better?

My personal beleif says they won't find any substantial evidence that there is an afterlife... Because I beleive we aren't allowed to know. (Imagine if we knew there was a beter place, how many people would end their lives here?!)

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 2

I can't wait to hear what comes from this!

Edited by Jeffertonturner

So what happens "if" they prove an afterlife: heaven or hell exsists then what, good people are happy and bad people say WTF and do whatever they please as they know theyr'e hell bound anyways or does everyone repent and the world becomes one big good,nice happy place. I hope that my after life (assuming there is one)will be just a different plane of exsistence where I'll be able to continue exsisting and being content and happy as I basically am now. Seeing friends that have past would be a bonus. Interesting topic for sure.

I don't think whatever they find would be accepted. No matter what they find, it will conflict with someones religious point of view, or lack of.

For some religions even talking about astral projection or out of body experiences is considered the devils work. In other religions there is nothing but reincarnation after death, in yet others you reincarnate after a short break to free yourself from your thoughts of living here before, others who believe when we die, that is it. Lights out, all done.

Take any one of those beliefs and tell them even the slightest thing they thought is wrong and people will completely flip out.

• Like 2

Best of luck to them, I'm definitely interested to see what kind of research, tests and results they find with 5 mill. lol But, like Coffey said, I also doubt they'll find any kind of substantial proof.

Even if they did, I think most people would still believe (or not believe) what they want anyway.

I would be a volunteer in any way I can.

It's inevitable that you will. :passifier:

• Like 3

A government grant of 5 million dollars to study...that?

Aren't there real things to research?

• Like 1

Just sent him an email offering my assistance. I'm not to far from there, and I have always wanted to produce an OBE while under an MRI.

• Like 1

So what happens "if" they prove an afterlife: heaven or hell exsists then what, good people are happy and bad people say WTF and do whatever they please as they know theyr'e hell bound anyways or does everyone repent and the world becomes one big good,nice happy place. I hope that my after life (assuming there is one)will be just a different plane of exsistence where I'll be able to continue exsisting and being content and happy as I basically am now. Seeing friends that have past would be a bonus. Interesting topic for sure.

Well you're going by 1 spcefic religions idea of afterlife.

Afterlife doesn't ahve to ahve a heaven or hell.. Or even a God.

But going by the religion you have went by... They just have to ask for forgiveness etc.

Seeker, how did you get his email? I'd like to write :)

Seeker, how did you get his email? I'd like to write :)

I asked a spirit named google ;) it's usually not to hard to get ahold of professors if you are interested in their work. I have had some good conversations with some nasa scientists reguarding my meteorite find , rupart sheldrake, an some pretty famous biblical scholars.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 1

this is cool but i doubt they will find anything that will be accepted from either side.

Edited by notoverrated

It's just like the movie "Legend of Hell House::

A scientist is offered 1 million dollars to prove the existence of life after death ( not James Randi ) .. Malcolm McDowall's character is named "Fischer" ... What's my point, I don't know ...

• Like 1

Haven't people done this study before, without millions of our tax dollars? We all learn the results when we die, and not before. Waste of our money. Grants like this should be pulled and stopped, at least while the nation is it's current state of being royally _______.

Also, to the person who commented on people commiting suicide after finding out there's something better... every Christian (and most other religions actually) believes there's something far better, they're not offing themselves in mass numbers. Also, knowing there's something better, in no way means not wanting to finish the path this life offers. The human experience may never come again. Besides "better" is a perspective issue, maybe your better life is absolute hell for me. I prefer the term "different", and in any case, life after death WILL be different, even if the athiests have it right.

Surely there is no way to prove the afterlife...

If you kill someone and bring them back and question the experience it will be filled with the bias of there own conceptions of life after death (religion or society based).

If you speak to people who have near death experiances you tend to get the same results as above.

If you just kill people you find out nothing, then go to jail ;)

I think people are only going to be disappointed by this research...

The Immortality Project will collect and review research proposals from scientists, philosophers and theologians to be published in academic journals.

Lets go where we have been before.

For example, why do millions of Americans report seeing a tunnel with a bright light at the end of it before death while, in Japan, reports often find the individual tending a garden?

See my first point above.

The project will ask other questions, such as, "Would existence in an afterlife be repetitive or boring?," "Does death give meaning to life?" and "Could we still have virtues like courage if we knew we couldn’t die?"

Hey we do that here on UM!

Sorry to bring negativity to what is a so far positive thread (lol positive about death), but I just can't see this going anywhere. Really this is just what I hoped it wasn't, a large grant to research what we already know (well what we individually believe, because that will not be changed by this research).

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Whatever the findings are they will be refuted by almost everyone, but will be interesting none-the-less.

A study into the afterlife is a personal journey, not a public one.

I hope that in the least they will be able to say "Yes, there is existence after physical death"

Before life there is something.

After life there is something..

Even when your life is through,

There's something to look forward to.. :tu:

• Like 1

"uncompromisingly scientifically rigorous" = We're gonna give heaven,hell,karma,and the afterlife some thought...some...but in the end we'll just call it some form of psychosis and just call everyone biologically defected in that area of their brain... God? such nonsense <------ That's where that phrase ends at~

There are different ways to approach life after death and that can also come in the form of exploring the paranormal and occurances that are happening to those who have experienced things out of the ordinary, such as ghosts and hauntings.

They may also look into people who seem to recall a previous life. If a child is able to remember a "past-life" from memories of a person who has already died, then it begs to question about how those memories were received in the first place. Also, if there are souls who continue on in a new life, where exactly do they stay in the interim and how do they choose to renew their lives?

[VIDEO] Boy Remembers Past Life (5 Parts): http://youtu.be/cdmMEKPFDTY

Related Article: http://www.facts-are-facts.com/news/sne-26705-pastlife.ihtml

I'm curious to see what they come up with.

This is just another waste of money. If the answer comes back No, then all of the religions will be up in arms. If the answer comes back Yes, we'll get from religion, "We didn't need a study to know that." And if the answer comes back "We don't know."......, I go back to my first statement.

Edited by paperdyer

It would interesting to see the hypotheses presented in the proposal for research. I can imagine there will be a multitude of confounds dealing

with testability issues and basic controversy surrounding the acceptance of theory. For example, what about evolutionary psychology's innate vs learned hypothesis regarding inherited traits? Or, what about the notion of oxygen deprivation and hallucinations vs NDE?