Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

D.C. man orders TV from Amazon,

questionmark

Normally, buying merchandise through Amazon is an unremarkable experience. You click to purchase, then a tracking number appears in your e-mail, and, a few days after that, a driver pulls up out front. In most instances, you get what you paid for.

On Tuesday night, Seth Horvitz, 38, a musician from San Francisco who moved to Washington a year ago, was alone in his Brookland apartment, getting ready for a dinner party, when he heard a knock at the door. By the time he opened it, a UPS man was leaving the building, on Eighth Street NE. To the right of the door, propped against a wall in the hallway, was a rectangular cardboard box about three feet long

Horvitz, who composes and performs electronic music using computers, had purchased a 39-inch television for $324 through Amazon several days earlier, ordering it from a third-party seller. Having tracked the shipment online, Horvitz said, he knew that the big Westinghouse flat-screen was due to arrive early that evening.

Read more

Normally I would post this in the Bizarre section, but as we had the gun control thingy all over I thought that it quite well could make my case.

Inspecting the box’s contents further, Horvitz said, he found an invoice showing that the rifle had been shipped by an online firearms broker, Gunbuyer.com, for delivery to the Independence Gun Shop in Duncansville, Pa., a borough of 1,200 people about 90 miles east of Pittsburgh. The broker had been paid $1,589 for the weapon, according to the invoice.

A shipping label on the box bore the gun store’s name and address. A second label, with Horvitz’s name and address, also had been affixed to the box. Exactly who made the mistake remains unclear, as do the whereabouts of Horvitz’s TV set.

ups screwd up.

no case, unless you want to make one against ups.

Edited by aztek

Gun for TV, sounds like a good trade.

• Like 5

I think he got a pretty good deal. $324.00 for an assault rifle? I would keep it and sell it for a profit.

• Like 3

I think he got a pretty good deal. $324.00 for an assault rifle? I would keep it and sell it for a profit.

The point is: How many laws and regulations were violated by the transaction? Cause if the guy who got the package never had a gun, therefore no DC permit, leaving the package in front of his door in itself could carry some stiff fines.

The point is: How many laws and regulations were violated by the transaction? Cause if the guy who got the package never had a gun, therefore no DC permit, leaving the package in front of his door in itself could carry some stiff fines.

yes you are right, but all those violations were UPS fault. a private company, whose employees call themselves under paid slaves. someone in sorting facility didn't pay attention.

yes someone screwed up, all guns must be handled by special dept in ups, or fed ex, and delivered by only certain guys who when thru special checks, not every ups driver is allowed to handle guns.

someone at ups did screw up, no doubt.

Edited by aztek

You need a permit for a rifle? Not in WA state.

You need a permit for a rifle? Not in WA state.

Every State, in fact every city, has its own regulations. The strictest of them all in Washington DC (even if the Supreme Court cashed part of them in again).

Edit: This number even would have been illegal in Texas as the rifle was transferred to a person without background check.

Edited by questionmark

This whole article stinks to high heaven. The language, the quotes, the terminology. This thing sounds like it was written verbatim by the hucksters at The Brady Campaign.

We are really supposed to believe that this guy never held a weapon before, but is using terms like "assault weapon". He hates guns and wants to see them banned. I don't believe a single word of this article is genuine.

Every State, in fact every city, has its own regulations. The strictest of them all in Washington DC (even if the Supreme Court cashed part of them in again).

Edit: This number even would have been illegal in Texas as the rifle was transferred to a person without background check.

yes, but it was originally shipped from a distributor to a gun shop, FFL to FFL. not to a person, all different rules. it got there by mistake.

assuming the article is genuine at all.

There is little doubt about it being genuine, even the favorite TV station of the NRA is reporting it:

http://www.myfoxdc.c...ets-gun-instead

No doubt the story is true. The article from the Washington Post however reeks of pro-gun control propaganda.

The language used is so accusatory that it puts it's bias on a pedastal and makes statements that are so frivolous that it beggars belief. UPS messed up. Thats the story. This artcle saying this:

“I definitely knew it was a mistake,” he said. “But I was confused as to how that kind of mix-up could happen. Especially given the recent events, the recent shootings. It surprised me to see how easy it would be for a gun to show up on someone’s doorstep — not just a gun, but an assault weapon.”

This is Brady Campaign material all the way. This was not a case of "Man receives gun that was supposed to be delivered to his neighbor." This was UPS breaking federal law. It should never have happened, and to my knowledge never has. But to paint it as "Any Joe Blow can get assault waepons shipped to his door and kill innocent people!" is so over the top and irresponsible it couldn't be anything less than intentional.

• Like 1

ok, than ups screwed up. someone will be transferred to mop the floors, since nobody got hurt,

however semi auto assault rifle is nonsense, oxymoron, like dry water, by definition assault rifles are select fire weapons, definatly see some bad reporting. and bias

guide.jpg

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

ok, than ups screwed up. someone will be transferred to mop the floors, since nobody got hurt,

however semi auto assault rifle is nonsense, oxymoron, like dry water, by definition assault rifles are select fire weapons, definatly see some bad reporting. and bias

guide.jpg

Yet they continue to LIE and misreport, using the name "assault weapon". While it IS possible for a regular citizen to acquire fully automtic weapon it is FAR from being easy.. It's not only time consuming (extensive background checks) but very expensive. I've owned a couple of AR15 match type rifles. Tricked out with sensitive triggers, better iron sights and stainless barrel they were about $2K . A full auto is closer to $10K all said and done. And the examination you get lets them know everything about you except what you had for breakfast.
  • Like 1

Weird, I actually bought a TV through amazon. I didn't get a gun though, however, I got 3 lemon TV's until they finally sent me a good one. The first tv had a dent in the screen, second tv had visual lightning like distortions in the picture, third tv the screen was all scratched up, finally the fourth one was good. Spent over a grand for the TV also. Amazon made it right though, and I'm happy.

and then, not to point anything out, but the gun labels in that pic don't match the actual guns. ^_^

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

It was simply a shipping error. I got 3 trout nets from LL Bean one time - I wonder if the Washington Post will do a story about that?

Contrary to popular belief, it is not illegal to ship firearms in the mail. This was an FFL to FFL transaction and perfectly legal.

I would hazard a guess and say that I'm probably the only person on this board who has had FedEx deliver a firearm to their door. It had to be signed for and accepted by me (not my wife). It was a very efficient transaction.

It was simply a shipping error. I got 3 trout nets from LL Bean one time - I wonder if the Washington Post will do a story about that?

Contrary to popular belief, it is not illegal to ship firearms in the mail. This was an FFL to FFL transaction and perfectly legal.

I would hazard a guess and say that I'm probably the only person on this board who has had FedEx deliver a firearm to their door. It had to be signed for and accepted by me (not my wife). It was a very efficient transaction.

:) Nope. We have had in-state deliveries of firearms. Now, hubby just purchased a larger gun, that one will be sent to a FFL where he will pick it up. It's coming from another state.

Maybe we will get a tv instead.

Nibs

If I had open that box my first thought would have been jackpot, then I would have gone and ordered another tv, in hopes of getting another gun. LOL

I can tell you what most likely happend. There were 2 boxes that go down the conveyors in the UPS distribution centers. They rub against each other constantly. Then they are loaded on trucks and rub together even more. The label on the TV was was not totally secured to the TV box. It stuck to the gun box and eventually came free from the TV box. At that point, no-one could know what to do with the TV. The gun box is then scanned and shipped to the address on the label (he who ordered a TV). This happens quite often with UPS. They only scan one label, and if one label is on top of another, they scan the top label.

Edited by Myles
  • Like 1

You reckon they deliver to the UK? HAHAHAHA

You reckon they deliver to the UK? HAHAHAHA

In the UK you would have several problems with this gun, not least that it is a hardly modified model 512, which would qualify it in most countries as military equipment.

In the UK you would have several problems with this gun, not least that it is a hardly modified model 512, which would qualify it in most countries as military equipment.

I know that it was a joke...... lol

If I had open that box my first thought would have been jackpot, then I would have gone and ordered another tv, in hopes of getting another gun. LOL

Yeah, that guy could've sold the gun and gotten a top of the line 3D LED, or Plasma. It was probably worth more than the tv he bought. :gun:

Edited by Spid3rCyd3