Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The blood red lake in France

Still Waters

It might look like a scene from a horror film but this is the breathtaking natural phenomenon which has met tourists at a popular French beauty spot.

The stunning scenes in Camargue, southern France, may look very dramatic but are actually thought to be caused by the high levels of salt within the water.

The bizarre sight was captured by photographer, Sam Dobson, from Moscow in Russia.

http://www.dailymail...-blood-RED.html

• Like 4

It's certainly stunning, but imagine getting that water in your mouth... EUGH!

• Like 2

I wonder how many people will take it as a sign that '..the end is nigh..'... :whistle:

• Like 3

I wonder how many people will take it as a sign that '..the end is nigh..'... :whistle:

There was a sea that turned red recently due to algae... They took that one as the sign already. LOL

• Like 2

There was a sea that turned red recently due to algae... They took that one as the sign already. LOL

Were Doooomed i tell thee.. :P

• Like 2

The region is called Camargue, everyday is a fight for survival, the Rhone river changes the pattern of the region all the time and Californians are not allowed, they are send to Bugarach.

Those are beautiful shots, thanks Still.

• Like 2

The region is called Camargue, everyday is a fight for survival, the Rhone river changes the pattern of the region all the time and Californians are not allowed, they are send to Bugarach.

Those are beautiful shots, thanks Still.

It looks like a nice place Para...ive never been to the south to be honest but i would like too.. :)

It looks like a nice place Para...ive never been to the south to be honest but i would like too.. :)

Last time I went there was in 1975, just in time for the Gypsie queen election in Sainte Marie de la mer, the only real town there. It was fantastic, my hippy days! Wasn't rich then so I would dive for sea food and with other hippies we would cook it on the beach while drinking cheap wine and enjoy promiscuity.

Today all this would be illegal. But the beauty of the place remains in the fact that no investor can built any 20 story hotel because of the soft sandy grounds. Furthermore now the area is protected.

• Like 1

Last time I went there was in 1975, just in time for the Gypsie queen election in Sainte Marie de la mer, the only real town there. It was fantastic, my hippy days! Wasn't rich then so I would dive for sea food and with other hippies we would cook it on the beach while drinking cheap wine and enjoy promiscuity.

Today all this would be illegal. But the beauty of the place remains in the fact that no investor can built any 20 story hotel because of the soft sandy grounds. Furthermore now the area is protected.

Simpler times Para... :) ...i'm glad its protected and will keep its natural beauty for people to enjoy for the years to come..a rarity in todays day and age.

Edited by BrianPotter
  • Like 1

I should stop murdering people so close to that lake...

• Like 3

Lovely picture . It is just stunning and to think the salt causes it . Amazing !

• Like 1

I love it when people view these strange occurrences as reinforcement of their religious beliefs. :tu:

• Like 1

Lovely picture . It is just stunning and to think the salt causes it . Amazing !

salt doesnt cause it...GOD DOES! DOOM!

I love it when people view these strange occurrences as reinforcement of their religious beliefs. :tu:

People in Camargue know the origins of this occurence, it's mostly the foreigners who create such a belief. Near the town of Saintes Maries de la Mer, several Fertility religious sites have been found, including Isis and Athena. Fertility cults have no doomsday theories. Why do you think the Catholic church created the legend of the three Marys (Mary Magdalena, Mary Jacobe and Mary Salome) landing there? Since for the Christians, none of those women were black so in order to justify the Black Madonna local worship (souvenir of the Fertility cult mentionned above) they created the culte of Saint Sarah who was allegedly the servant of the three.

Stunning pics. I've never been to France, sure hope to someday.

Members are reminded that personal insults and attacks on other members will not be tolerated, please review the rules if unfamiliar with them before posting.

3c. Profanity: Do not use profanity, crude, vulgar language or attempt to intentionally bypass the profanity filter.

3f. Abusive behaviour: Do not be rude, insulting, offensive, snide, obnoxious or abusive towards other members

Please remember this is a family friendly site.

Members are reminded that personal insults and attacks on other members will not be tolerated, please review the rules if unfamiliar with them before posting.

3c. Profanity: Do not use profanity, crude, vulgar language or attempt to intentionally bypass the profanity filter.

3f. Abusive behaviour: Do not be rude, insulting, offensive, snide, obnoxious or abusive towards other members

Please remember this is a family friendly site.

????????????

????????????

I removed the offending posts Paracelse - they weren't yours :)

I was perplexed when reading this as I did not believe chloride concentrations precipitate out of the water red. Usually chloride precipitates white (in my experience). The closest chemical reason I have seen to produce a red precipitate like this is iron oxide, usually when there is ARD drainage from a mine nearby. Turns out after a quick google search red salts are very possible. Learn something new everyday.

Southern France has only bauxite mines, I have no idea if there would be an effect on the salty waters mixing with the soft waters of the Rhone river.