Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Only Way to Escape Hell

Ben Masada

Best way to escape hell is not to believe in it

Easy said than done. Tell this to the preachers of the gospels. They need hell to make a living.

Ben

My question is where is hell exactly? And do other planets have a local hell also, or is it interplanetary? How about for animals? You know, like bad dogs that chew your new shoes and get into the trash can while you're out on a sinful gluttonous fast food run? Did they ever mention that part?

Hell is the grave, where we all must go to some day, including the dogs who chew new shoes.

Ben

The only way to escape hell is to believe that Jesus took that punishment for you when he died on the cross.

Well, according to the Scriptures, "Through his own fault only shall any one die." (Jer. 31:30) What Jesus are you talking about, a Greek one? If he was Jewish, he could not have died for another.

Ben, why would Jesus say 'I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me.' John 14:6?

Because he was Jewish and spoke as part of the Jewish People.

No mention of Moses there. Jesus came to fulfil the law - to be the once-and-for-all atonement for all sins so that we can spend eternity with Him.

And to warn us all - the Jews - to do exactly the same. (Mat. 5:18,19) Through his own foult only shall anyone die. (Jer. 31:30) There is no eternity to spend with as far as man is concerned. (Gen. 3:22) Only God is eternal. Whoever is born must die. Death is part of life.

The law as given to show just how inadequate we are - there is no one, except for Jesus, that is capable of meeting every letter on the law.

The Law in the Golden Rule says that we should not do unto others what we would not like they did unto us. Do you think the money-changers in the front area before the Temple liked to be whipped and caused financial damage to their way to make a living? I don't think so. Therefore, Jesus broke the Law. Read John 2:15. Did Jesus meet that letter of the Law? Obviously not. It means he was also a sinner just like anyone else.

This is why Jesus was the only acceptable atonement for man - because he was perfect in thought, word and deed.

Would you like to be called a fraud, a wicked person, blind guide, blind fool, whitewashed tomb full of filth, a murder, brood of serpent, etc? I don't think you would. Read Mat. 23:13-34. If that's true, those were the terms Jesus addressed the Pharisees with. Was he still perfect by breaking the Golden Rule?

He was a willing sacrifice for all of humanity

Are you sure? How can you see willingness in Jesus in the Gethsemane where he prayed for three times in sweats of blood asking not to have to die on the cross? When he realized he was wasting his time, he said "Be thy will done BUT NOT MINE." Not mine! Yes, it means that it was not his will to die for nobody.

The poor fella was pushed to the cross against his will. (Mat. 26:39)

you just have to believe in you heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus rose from the dead and IS God - Romans 10:9. That's how you escape hell.

Jesus was a Jewish man whose Faith was Judaism. There is no such a thing as a man being god in Judaism. Unless he was a Greek demigod which is the son of a god with an earthly woman.

BTW Toadie, that attitude is going to get you a front row seat in the lake of fire. You can sinceely believe that gravity doen't exist - you can't see it, smell it, taste it, hear it or touch it - but when you jump off a cliff, you'll know it exists - but by then it's too late.

Perhaps you think you are discussing this issue with a Greek person? Your talk is too hellenistic. Nothing Jewish to talk about Jesus.

Don't make the same foolish mistake here. Eternity is going to be a long time.

Let me enlighten you about eternity. Read Genesis 3:22. Eternal life was not an attribute granted to man. When Adam and Even were banished from the Garden of Eden, the reason was to prevent them from eating of the tree of life and live forever. It means that eternity was not for man but for God only.

Seek the truth, the absolute truth - not the worlds version of the truth, and I pray that you will believe Jesus when He lifts the blinders off your eyes.

What is the truth? Jesus said that the truth is the Word of God, according to John 17:17. The Word of God which was given to Israel only and to no other people on earth. Read Psalm 147:19,20. Now, you know who has the truth. "To the Law and the Testimony; if you don't speak according to this method, it is because you do not have the truth." (Isa. 8:20)

Ben

• Like 1

I believe there is a guide book on the subject, by someone who went there and back: Dante's Inferno. A book - just like the Bible. Written by man - just like the Bible.

I have read Dante's Inferno twice. Not that "just like the Bible." Unless you mean the NT. The idea is there, but not "just like." Written by man, yes, I agree with you.

Ben

Every religion purports to have the one true way to salvation...believe in the religion and escape punishment and/or hell. However, none of these religions ever offers up any proof for this notion. Kind of interesting when one thinks about it.

There is no proof for what does not exist; I mean, in Christian terms. But hell as the grave, people go there everyday soon or later.

Ben

"It is not I who will accuse you of this before the Father. Moses will accuse you! Yes, Moses, on whom you set your hopes. But if you had believed Moses, you would have believed me because he wrote about me. And since you don't believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?" John. 5:45-47

Prove to me where Moses wrote about Jesus. Perhaps only in your mind of preconceived notions. You are totally mistaken about us. We set no hopes in the dead. That's for Christians to do.

Ben

Toadie, at least you'll be sitting down through all eternity! Has anyone considered the idea that hell is a metaphor? My idea of Spirit is a kind, loving, benign, compassionate, forgiving entity who knows humanity will always make mistakes and hopes we learn from them, not punish us for making them and condemn us to eternal misery with no way out. Those qualities truly are divine, the other stuff sounds more like human behavior.

Yes, you have hit in the bull's eye. Hell is nothing but a metaphor pointing to the grave. The only distinction is that there is no suffering in hell/grave.

Ben

one of the books ruled apopyrhical by the Council of Nicea had either Peter or Paul getting a guided tour of Heaven, and seeing the uffering in Hell said "Oi! What about them then?" and being told by his guide (iirc the Prophet Daniel) that the suffering would end when a truely devout soul in Heaven asked God to forgive them. Oddly enough, the idea that Hell wasn't a permenent place of suffering wasn't well liked at Nicea so as quietly consigned to the dust bin.

Yours must be a reference to Dantes' Inferno. The whole idea is hellenistic anyways.

Ben

The only way to escape hell is to believe that Jesus took that punishment for you when he died on the cross. Ben, why would Jesus say 'I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me.' John 14:6? No mention of Moses there. Jesus came to fulfil the law - to be the once-and-for-all atonement for all sins so that we can spend eternity with Him. The law as given to show just how inadequate we are - there is no one, except for Jesus, that is capable of meeting every letter on the law. This is why Jesus was the only acceptable atonement for man - because he was perfect in thought, word and deed. He was a willing sacrifice for all of humanity - you just have to believe in you heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus rose from the dead and IS God - Romans 10:9. That's how you escape hell.

BTW Toadie, that attitude is going to get you a front row seat in the lake of fire. You can sinceely believe that gravity doen't exist - you can't see it, smell it, taste it, hear it or touch it - but when you jump off a cliff, you'll know it exists - but by then it's too late. Don't make the same foolish mistake here. Eternity is going to be a long time. Seek the truth, the absolute truth - not the worlds version of the truth, and I pray that you will believe Jesus when He lifts the blinders off your eyes.

I remember when I use to get into discussions over these topics. I always maintained there is a misunderstanding in Christianity when it comes to the 'laws'. The 'law' that Jesus fulfilled was the Levitical law. Priesthood, sacrifacial, etc.

Moses law (i.e. Ten Commandments) was not 'fulfilled' (widely interpreted as 'abolished'.) as for example James 2:11 cites two of the ten commandments, and says if you transgress one you have become a transgressor of all. Does faith in Christ alone save? Paul says, "for not the hearers of the Law are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. (Rom 2:13). Incidentally the Ten include the observance of the Seventh day sabbath.

Edited by Time Traveler
  • Like 1

How do we know that sinners get really punished in hell. If you where bad in life and go to hell why would the devil punish the person for stealing kiling and who know what eles

How do we know that sinners get really punished in hell. If you where bad in life and go to hell why would the devil punish the person for stealing kiling and who know what eles

According to the Bible: Matt 13:42 "..they will be cast into a furnace of fire; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (gnash:[1031]S.C. a prim. verb; to grate the teeth (in pain..)".

I know, the devil gets accused of presiding over hell and punishing the sinners. But according to Rev. 20:10 he's not so lucky and gets punished as well.

Yes, you have hit in the bull's eye. Hell is nothing but a metaphor pointing to the grave. The only distinction is that there is no suffering in hell/grave. Ben

Hi Ben, Out of curiosity I'm wondering what your take is on Proverbs 23:12-14? The point is administering dicipline to deliver a soul from Sheol/hell. It does not make sense that this is referring to the grave. Discipline would make no difference in this respect as we all end up in the grave eventually - dicipline or not. It's interesting that sheol/hell [7585] Strongs: refers to it as 'the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), includ. its accessories and inmates:-grave, hell, pit.' Even Sheol's root word does not mean oblivion.

Also, Prov. 15:24 says 'The path of life leads upward for the wise, That he may keep away from Sheol below. It does not sound like a physical grave to me.

• Like 1

The only real way to escape Hell is to follow the Laws of God the "Ten Commandments"

one of the books ruled apopyrhical by the Council of Nicea had either Peter or Paul getting a guided tour of Heaven, and seeing the uffering in Hell said "Oi! What about them then?" and being told by his guide (iirc the Prophet Daniel) that the suffering would end when a truely devout soul in Heaven asked God to forgive them. Oddly enough, the idea that Hell wasn't a permenent place of suffering wasn't well liked at Nicea so as quietly consigned to the dust bin.

The council of Nicea did indeed pick and choose what they believed should be in the Bible due to what benefitted themselves at that time

There is numerous texts gospels etc that should be in the Bible but is not due to the council of Nicea and the Council of Laodicea

They even changed the Sabbath day from Saturday to Sunday, due to them seeing the Sabbath day as a Jewish tradition (as far as I am aware)

Edited by Jackofalltrades
  • Like 1

A man dies and goes to Hell where he is greeted by the devil:

Devil: Hey, why are you bumming out?

Man: If you died and went to Hell, you''d be bumming out too.

Devil: Hell isn''t what you think it is. It's fun down here. Say, do you drink?

Man: Sure, I love to drink. Why?

Devil: Well, you''re gonna love Mondays then. Because on Mondays, all we do here is drink. Hell, we have whiskey, tiquila, rum, vodka, all the booze you want to drink. We drink til we puke then we drink more.

Man: Ah, that sounds great.

Devil: Do you smoke?

Man: Damn right I do.

Devil: Cool! You''re gonna love Tuesdays. We get the finest cigars from all over the world. Smoke all you want. You don''t have to worry about getting cancer because you''re already dead anyways.

Man: No ****!

Devil: You like gambling?

Man: Hell yeah!

Devil: Great! On Wednesdays, we have gambling night here in Hell. We have slot machines, roulette, craps, black jack, horse racing, you name it, we got it, and we just recently opened up a new pai gow poker table.

Man: Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I never played pai gow poker before.

Devil: Now you can. You like to get stoned?

Man: I love getting stoned! You mean...

Devil: That''s right man, because on Thursdays, it''s stoner night here in Hell! Help yourself to a huge bowl of crack, smoke a joint the size of a nuclear sub, do all the drugs you want and you don''t have to worry about overdosing because you''re already dead anyhow.

Man: Awesome! I never thought Hell was one swinging place!

Devil: Are you gay?

Man: Uh, no.

Devil: Oooh, you''re gonna hate Fridays!

• Like 5

There is no proof for what does not exist; I mean, in Christian terms. But hell as the grave, people go there everyday soon or later.

Ben

First of all, the introductory statement is flawed: “Every religion purports to have the one true way to salvation...believe in the religion and escape punishment and/or hell.” Hinduism and Buddhism for example. Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism have no concept of hell. Aladura, Confucianism, the Falun Gong, Hare Krishna, Janism, Judaism, Shinto, all have no concept of both heaven and hell.

• Like 1

Seen this nice little quote before.

No loving God will torture someone for eternity because they were misguided and jaded in life. I cannot fathom this kind of mentality.

God does not put you in hell, you put you in hell.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3
  • Like 3

My question is where is hell exactly? And do other planets have a local hell also, or is it interplanetary? How about for animals? You know, like bad dogs that chew your new shoes and get into the trash can while you're out on a sinful gluttonous fast food run? Did they ever mention that part?

All bodies go into the ground

in the center it is glowing

Life carries on, it is what rises.

There is such a thing as repentance to sin.

Sin = Death

I suppose it's been mentioned but Hell, in my mind, is separation from God.

• Like 2

Hell is where you sit in eternal flames without the ingredients for s'mores.

• Like 1

What are the qualifications to get to Hell and what are the qualifications to get to Heaven, and do you believe in the Bible to be the true Word of God?

"The only way to escape Hell-"

"Wait a second! Which Hell! Hades? Di Yu? Jahannam?"

Honestly the only way to escape "Hell" is not to believe in it.

Nuff said.

Kryso, you're quite right - Dante's Inferno is a guidebook on how to go to Hell and come back again, possibly slightly singed but otherwise intact. If you somehow wish to do this, Hell is located at the center of the Earth, the exact geographical middle of the entire Universe being Satan's frozen knob (seriously), and you can access it through a secret passage inside the crater of Mount Etna. The odd thing is that if you follow Dante's directions precisely, Purgatory is apparently the Canary Islands. Which also means that if you climb the highest mountain in the Canary Islands, you can get into Heaven without being dead. By the way, apparently the only ways you can be condemned to Hell are by being either a notorious historical or legendary character who did something very bad, or someone Dante personally disliked. So I think most of us are fairly safe.

• Like 1

You mean that place that has eternal fire and eternal darkness at the same time?

• Like 1

They don't. Hell is only a theme of parables. If one was bad or good in life, once dead it is all the same.

Ben