Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wall Knocking

Angel123 then gone

Hello,

I am new and I am sure that this topic has probably been covered. I apologize if I am re-hashing old items.

When my mother was dying I would hear 3 knocks on my bedroom wall everynight. I have a locked and fenced back yard so nobody could have

produced 3 knocks on the wall 4 times a night. I would run out each time and no one was there. After my mother died (about 3 years later) the knocks came back and no one could have gotten over the locked gates before I reached the back yard. One night the knocking kept on and I got mad at it and shouted

" Stop your GD knocking, you aren't scaring me and you aren't welcome into this house" I haven't heard a knock since. I heard later that sometimes spirits will knock on windows and doors so you'll open them and allow them in.

I also wonder if any of you have had this experience?

Before my mother passed away she was laying in bed and I was cleaning her room, out of nowhere and I mean it just happened, all the blinds were closed, the lights were off there was no light anywhere in the house. There was the brightest flash I'd ever seen, like some one had used the flash on a camera only stronger, blinding and longer. We both stopped in our tracks and looked at each other. "did you see that?" I asked she answered yes. I checked every light bulb in the house and the fuse box and still have no idea what it was. I like to think we might have been shown a glimpse of the light of heaven, it was peaceful and I want that for my mother's soul.

Thank you for listening

Angel123 then gone.

Edited by Angel123 then gone
  • Like 6

I never heard the knocking to come in part, but sometimes spirits will make knocking sounds as a means of alerting you they are there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum Angel! I have been a member for awhile, but a busy schedule keeps me offline most of the time. Still I try to pop in from time to time to check out the interesting topics.

Your post reminded me of something I had forgotten. I remember my mother told about hearing knocks (when no one was around) and it meant someone in the family was going to pass away soon. This happened to her parents on more than one occasion. They had lost a total of three children. And it happened to my mother a couple of times. The one time I remember it was one of her brother's accidental death. The deaths always occured within a closer time frame though, sometime within a few months of hearing the knocks. Also the knocks would only happen two or three times close together. They always said if they heard this knock they knew someone in the family would pass away.

Fortunately I have never had the experience, and don't want to! I'm interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this or know of someone who has. Since I'm seldom on the forum, I also apologize if this is re-hashing.

Thank you all for your kindness and answers. I think the knocks might have something to do with people passing away. The last knocks I heard were around the time my grandmother passed, so that could be it. I don't want to hear anymore knocking for a long time! I do find it unique that some people experience theses paranormal events. I have never been afraid of the things that I have heard (footsteps walking the hallway when I was the only one home, my name called or seeing things out of the corner of my eye)

I had a few event in an apartment I lived in. I was laying in bed one night and my eyes were closed when something whispered in my ear the name "Devin" It shook me and I didn't open my eyes because I thought something might be in my face. I also had a particularly strange event in this apartment. I was getting ready to go out and had my stereo up very loud, I came downstairs and went into this tiny half bathroom the apartment had. I was listening to the music, fixing my hair and all of a sudden it felt like 9000 people stepped into that little room.

I turned around seeing nothing, but feeling everything. I think I was shocked, I wanted to know what it was and I stood unmoved for 5 minutes. I finally had to leave as it felt like they were closing in. I quitely shut the light off, turned off the stereo and walked to the front door and stood with my back against it. I spoke out loud " Look, you are welcome to stay here, but you CAN NOT SCARE ME and you WILL NOT HURT ME OR MY PETS" I felt like a fool talking to myself but something or things were in that room. I didn't have any issues after that other than the occasional objects being moved into strange positions and I felt safe the rest of my time there. Other than the knocking and orbs in my new house I haven't had any issues. I have captured a few EVPS, but since my mom passed I haven't tried for any. I'm not sure why, I think I am afraid I will hear her and that would mean she is stuck here and I don't want her to be. Thanks again for reading my long posts. I really appreciate all of your knowledge and experiences.

Angel123 then gone

• Like 4

I think you did everything right. You have power over them because you are not afraid. Also you were specific in stating what they could not do, and they had to abide by your order because of Universal Laws in place.

I am no authority of course, but it seems that many spirits remain here because they choose to for one reason or another. For others it may have something to do with lower vibrations. It seems some spirits who have moved on can come back briefly. Why some spirits return at times while others seem to move on for good, I do not know. But I would say that in the event your mom contacts you in some way, does not mean she is earth bound.

Not to throw a wet blanket on this or anything, but you were cleaning your mother's room in complete darkness? You said all of the lights were off and the blinds were closed.

As to the knocking, there are dozens of possible explanations that don't require you to even consider anything paranormal - pipes, rodents, wind, birds, etc. etc.

• Like 3

There's no chance there's a builder trapped in the cavity wall, is there?

s8998.gif

• Like 3

Not to throw a wet blanket on this or anything, but you were cleaning your mother's room in complete darkness? You said all of the lights were off and the blinds were closed.

As to the knocking, there are dozens of possible explanations that don't require you to even consider anything paranormal - pipes, rodents, wind, birds, etc. etc.

and teenagers?

Hm. Though this most likely doesn't explain what was happening to you, my house sometimes makes creaking noises and it sounds a lot like knocking.

Interesting.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I was babysitting my neices, 2 yr old today at her home.. The two yr old and both dogs were right in front of me. I distinctly heard 5 knocks on bare wood, thought someone was there, no one. Prior to this, the 2 yr old was staring at doorway behind me. Googled, knocking, this post came up, on my birth date aug 11th. Had to post.

I was babysitting my neices, 2 yr old today at her home.. The two yr old and both dogs were right in front of me. I distinctly heard 5 knocks on bare wood, thought someone was there, no one. Prior to this, the 2 yr old was staring at doorway behind me. Googled, knocking, this post came up, on my birth date aug 11th. Had to post.

That would pretty much freak me right out.

• Like 1

Interesting, a Friend of my mom her moms house was haunted by they think it was the dad there was knocking.

Then years later my brother moved in to the house lots of weird stuff went on

Not to be another wet blanket but when temperatures change, wood expands and contracts, often causing knocking or popping sounds. Also, some types of heating systems and radiators can bang and rattle. Since the noise stopped when you shouted, I wonder if there could have been a squirrel in the attic or something similar. And depending on the weather, wind might have been knocking branches against the house. These sorts of causes may sound unlikely, but they're probably more likely then a disembodied spirit lurking around. In any event, there's probably nothing to be frightened about.

• Like 1

Something unseen bangs on our furniture, cable box, and dvd player every night. Some people say that stuff just expands and contracts depending on temperature changes, but we experience a lot of other phenomena as well. I'm inclined to think it paranormal.

Walls are a bit more difficult because sometimes there are pipes or rodents or just natural house settling going on. It's interesting that it was consistently 3 knocks and that now it has stopped. It's less likely to be a pipe in that case. Some people say 3 knocks is significant and has to do with mocking the Trinity, but I just think a knock is a knock. Also, believe it or not...not every entity is or was a Christian, so the Trinity could have absolutely no meaning to it. The knocks are to get your attention. If you aren't interested in exploring the paranormal, then you did the right thing for you. You didn't give it the attention it was seeking. If it hasn't gotten bored and moved on already, it probably will.

Edited by ChaosRose

• 2 weeks later...

I'm biggest cynic as far as the paranormal is concerned, but three days ago I experienced something that is quite strange. I live in a building that was built in 1835. It was a hotel until 1935, when it was closed and converted into flats.

I live alone, but three days ago I was in bed; and at 3:24am, unable to sleep, I heard four clear knocks in succesion. Perhaps stupidly, I didn't investigate (I live in the basement, so suspected it was some kind of wildlife outside my window). I didn't think much more of it, but did mention it to my mother who arrived the next day to stay for the weekend.

The following morning my mother said to me 'I heard the four knocks in my room last night'. She was staying in a room which is isn't adjacent to mine, and the window in the room she is staying has a large enclosed area outside the window, so wildlife is ruled out.

The walls are all solid (around three feet thick), no form of heating was on (and hasn't been used for over a week). The floors are solid concrete, neither of us sleep walk, and as far I know there are no rodents in the flat. And the flat upstairs has been vacant since 2011.

*Sings Twilight Zone theme tune*!

• 1 month later...

My Mom has been in a nursing home for 5 1/2 years..she recently passed..here's my story...I'm pretty much a night owl, watch t.v. late, surf on my laptop, get tired and shut everything off.....Fall asleep in my recliner, then go to bed when I wake

up in the middle of the night..Before she died, I woke up to a definite "knocking" outside my house, thought it was my neigbor at 5:00a.m. dumping garbage in his can or scrapping ice off his wind shield....We have a new home,

it's 7 years old, no mice, no racoons, no teenagers, no washer or dryer running, no one going to the bathroom etc..... It was a direct, forced, and familar sound of a person knocking....with a persons rythm..."knock" "knock" "knock".....I thought that's

really weird...I considered telling my wife but decided not to...so I went to bed....

When my Mom passed a few days ago I didn't even think about the knocking I heard....We had the funeral on Friday morning and they buried her in the afternoon, I did my usual thing and surfed the web, watched t.v. and passed out in my recliner...

About an hour later, 1:00am... I heard three or four knocks on the "other" side of my living room....Woke up completley, turned on all the lights outside, no one is sight....Didn't even think of my Mom, sat back in my recliner and went back to sleep,

I was too lazy to go to bed at the time....An hour and a half later...I heard knocking directly behind my chair outside of the house, except it wasn't very loud...very soft....I wansn't scared....just confused....I thought, I'll look this up on my smart phone when

I get in bed.....after doing some homework online, the first knocks were probably alerting me of here upcoming death...and the knocks now tell me she's present.....I don't know what to think or believe of all of this...the weird thing is...I'm not scared of any of it.....If she comes back in the middle of the night....I'm sure I'll acknowledge her then go to bed....oh...she was a "night owl" too....

Edited by Joker1040

I have read many people's explanations for what the knocking means, what people post on the internet and say on TV is all guesswork. If I had something knocking and couldn't find a logical explanation I would ask yes or no questions after saying outloud "Knock once for yes and twice for no" just to see if it would respond consistantly.

Until then I will just assume Tony Orlando has the best explaination.

Oh, my darling, knock three times

On the ceiling if you want me

Mmm, twice on the pipe

If the answer is no

Oh, my sweetness

Means you'll meet me in the hallway

Whoa, twice on the pipe

Means you ain't gonna show

I had wall knocking in my old apartment, turned out my neighbour had gotten herself a new man

• Like 1

This old 1940's relic i'm in creeks, knocks and thuds like a body is being thrown to the floor.

Many homes are like that. Expansion and contraction of materials isn't paranormal, no matter how badly you want it to be.

On the flip side though.

The last few days i have heard voices or what sounded like them anyway.

Paranormal? i highly doubt it, though it is exciting to entertain the thought.

• Like 1

I've had my share of knocking in this house. Its usually at night time when we are in bed. The knocks will be from another room and as soon as the knocks are over it will bounce to another room and another wall and knock again, and again shift to another room and do the same knocks. Its very fast, too fast for any human to do. Besides it was only me and my wife in the house. Another incident that happened 7-8 years ago was I was set to sleep on the couch due to an argument with the wife. Our spiral staircase that leads up to our bedroom floor has a doorway on the bottom. I closed the door due to the argument and layed on the couch to get ready for sleep. I head a few minutes later 4 distinct slow knocks on that door. Now a normal person could say it could've been the wife playing with me but I know those stairs. A mouse couldnt walk down them without the stairs creak. And it was complelty quiet in the house except for those knocks.

• 4 months later...

Crap... I looked this up, already familiar with the phenomenon especially via Poltergeist by Colin Wilson, if anyone wants to be enlightened and frightened. Not just saying this. Putting my son to bed, we were both laying down. TV on, I live on 3 acres, neighbors are a good ways away and I would hear anyone approaching. The part of the house I'm in is newly built. Four slow knocks distinctly, woke my son up and he runs to the closer door to imitate the knocking. I run to the front door, no one in sight. I would've hearD footsteps coming or going. Went out with a flashlight, nothing there. Death is a natural part of life, now I must wonder if someone will die

One of my relations has experienced wall knocking. She awoke one night and heard two knocks coming from the ceiling. She began asking questions which the knocking responded to, It both amazed and freaked her out. She asked a few questions about her future too which have apparently now come true. Sadly for her, the knocking never returned after that night-time visit.