Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

fairies ?

SpiritWriter

This isn't a subject I am normally into but it came up today at my friends house. She thinks that she saw a very small fairy fluttering above her tv screen, it was glowing orange and had wings that were moving rapidly. She came closer to it and discovered it was a spider, coming down from the ceiling on a single thread. This is a friend that I have known for a very long time that I know has seen and experienced other spiritual things. In fact we have experienced some things together so I know that it is possible for "unexplained mysteries" to happen in her home. I have heard recently somewhat about fairies.. I have never seen one however. Just interested if there are any other fairy stories out there....

• Like 1

My grandfather used to do a ton of gardening in our very large garden.

He was also a rather skilled artist and if he drew anything in the garden, he would also draw some very little fairys too.

I'm not sure if he saw any though.

• Like 1

She thinks that she saw a very small fairy fluttering above her tv screen, it was glowing orange and had wings that were moving rapidly.

She came closer to it and discovered it was a spider, coming down from the ceiling on a single thread.

Exactly, there fairy tales.

Probs happens alot.

LOL.

Thanks,

I think there's wee folk tales out there. There's tons of lore of course. I think most people cringe when they see the word fairy, I know I do. I think fairies got a bad rep. Most people think tinkerbell and gnomes and just groan. I also think a lot of wee folk lore is now spoken of in other ways. Banshees. Those are fairies, but now they are spoken of more as wailing woman ghosts. Merfolk are among the fairy tribe, but now are usually found under criptid listings. I think some ghost and demon dog stories have their roots in some fairy dog legends.

For some reason it's ok to be a little spooky about ghosts, demons, criptids, little grey men, bigfoot.. But calling something a fairy is just a little bit too nutty for a lot of people.

• Like 1

My very Irish grandfather (was brought to the USA as an infant by his Irish citizen parents) believed in fairies. In fact, when I was eight he told me that I had fairy blood. I'd come home from a walk in the woods and had told my parents and grandparents that I'd heard strange music. My Grandpop said it was fairy music and that I was able to hear it because I was half fairy myself.

For the record, he didn't drink alcohol of any kind (or take drugs), nor did he have a psychiatric problem. He was an educated, articulate, erudite man.

I could share many accounts about the unusual things I've seen over the years, but I don't really want to have strangers coming on here accusing me of being delusional or psychotic because I wrote something that doesn't fit their world view.

I'll say this much: This world is a magical place, if only we have eyes to see it. As Ralph Hodgson said, "Some things have to be believed to be seen."

• Like 3

I love JM Barrie's theory in his book The Little White Bird (1902) when he wrote, "When the first baby laughed for the first time, his laugh broke into a million pieces, and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies."

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 3

A friend of mine was a high priestess for a fairly well known sect of wiccans on the east coast.

Her thing,was faeries .She named her daughter after one .

She did magick with them ,or so she said . She swears they are real ,and have a huge magickal affects on things .

I personally,don't see it,or get it.

She and I were in a coven together at one point,and I don't do covens,at all . I joined because she asked me to ,and I said to her,comparatively speaking,my magick is very dark ,compared to everyone else's.

I don't do black magick,but I work with darker forces that people working with fey and artemis ,and stuff like that there .

She said she didn't think it would be an issues,and it pretty much broke up the coven .

She didn't care she said,but ....dunno .Some forces just aren't meant to be mixed .

• Like 2

A friend of mine was a high priestess for a fairly well known sect of wiccans on the east coast.

Her thing,was faeries .She named her daughter after one .

She did magick with them ,or so she said . She swears they are real ,and have a huge magickal affects on things .

I personally,don't see it,or get it.

She and I were in a coven together at one point,and I don't do covens,at all . I joined because she asked me to ,and I said to her,comparatively speaking,my magick is very dark ,compared to everyone else's.

I don't do black magick,but I work with darker forces that people working with fey and artemis ,and stuff like that there .

She said she didn't think it would be an issues,and it pretty much broke up the coven .

She didn't care she said,but ....dunno .Some forces just aren't meant to be mixed .

There is one folkloric tradition in the UK holding that there are two courts of the fae: the Seelie court, which is the realm of the "good" fairies (those who would live in peace with humans and bear us no ill will); and the Unseelie Court, which is peopled by the dark fae--those who hate humans because they believe we stole this world from them and forced them to live in another realm. In this tradition, it's the fae from the Unseelie Court who cause harm to humans by kidnapping babies, causing humans to get lost, etc. Kelpies, or water horses, would be members of the Unseelie Court. They appear as beautiful, tame horses, but when a human mounts one, it leaps into the nearest stream or river and drowns its mortal rider. So there are dark forces among the fairies, at least according to some traditions.

My grandfather never talked about any dark fae; he only talked about the ones who love humans and want to help us.

As for covens, I too had experience with a couple of east coast covens (in Pennsylvania), and found them less than honest with potential members--and with themselves. There was quite a lot of "Do what you will but harm no one" bandied about, yet I know of one third degree Wiccan high priestess who actually bragged about doing black magic and putting curses on people at midnight at a crossroads, doing spells to ensnare a man who was married to someone else, and other things that I was taught were major no-nos in Wicca. Then there was the high priestess who was a lapsed Catholic and jumped at every opportunity to malign the church and all its clergy members. Now, I understand that the Catholic church is an organization like any other organization--it attracts both good people and bad people. And I understand that many bad people use the church as a shield to cover their bad behavior. But this woman's bitterness and hatred of any and all things and persons Catholic poisoned her spirit and tainted everything she did. I attended one ritual she hosted, on Halloween, and it was so dark and ugly that I felt like I needed a shower afterward. Lastly, many of the Wiccans I met seemed to me to only profess the faith so that they had an excuse to be promiscuous. So I'm not a big fan of covens.

I never did attend any rituals done by covens who practiced fairy magic, though. I rather wish I had; I probably would have liked it.

• Like 2

well, I know that I played with a little boy when I was a kid. He would meet me to play in a little strip of forest when I was a kid. Was I a lonely child who made up a playmate? Possibly, but I know he helped me through a very lonely childhood.

• Like 2

There is one folkloric tradition in the UK holding that there are two courts of the fae: the Seelie court, which is the realm of the "good" fairies (those who would live in peace with humans and bear us no ill will); and the Unseelie Court, which is peopled by the dark fae--those who hate humans because they believe we stole this world from them and forced them to live in another realm. In this tradition, it's the fae from the Unseelie Court who cause harm to humans by kidnapping babies, causing humans to get lost, etc. Kelpies, or water horses, would be members of the Unseelie Court. They appear as beautiful, tame horses, but when a human mounts one, it leaps into the nearest stream or river and drowns its mortal rider. So there are dark forces among the fairies, at least according to some traditions.

My grandfather never talked about any dark fae; he only talked about the ones who love humans and want to help us.

As for covens, I too had experience with a couple of east coast covens (in Pennsylvania), and found them less than honest with potential members--and with themselves. There was quite a lot of "Do what you will but harm no one" bandied about, yet I know of one third degree Wiccan high priestess who actually bragged about doing black magic and putting curses on people at midnight at a crossroads, doing spells to ensnare a man who was married to someone else, and other things that I was taught were major no-nos in Wicca. Then there was the high priestess who was a lapsed Catholic and jumped at every opportunity to malign the church and all its clergy members. Now, I understand that the Catholic church is an organization like any other organization--it attracts both good people and bad people. And I understand that many bad people use the church as a shield to cover their bad behavior. But this woman's bitterness and hatred of any and all things and persons Catholic poisoned her spirit and tainted everything she did. I attended one ritual she hosted, on Halloween, and it was so dark and ugly that I felt like I needed a shower afterward. Lastly, many of the Wiccans I met seemed to me to only profess the faith so that they had an excuse to be promiscuous. So I'm not a big fan of covens.

I never did attend any rituals done by covens who practiced fairy magic, though. I rather wish I had; I probably would have liked it.

Yeah. I studied with someone for years,but some Wicca practices leave me cold.

This was the only coven I ever joined ,and it was a once a week thing,in a store .

No orgies. That was the coven I wouldn't join .

I also don't find initiation very empowering.

You don't feel any different. It doesn't change the work at all....

I love my wiccan frt for me.

And the friend I speak of,her entire foundation was rooted in the UK .

Her power resonated there she said . Which is how I feel when I'm in New Orleans . I think its big time past life stuff so .

And I'm familiar with seelie and unseelie,but just,no affinity or calling,whatsoever.

She swears it fo real . It's just a brick wall for me .

But I'm she's never had giant golden snakes come to her during rituals . That's me. She doesn't get my thing at all,but oddly ,her daughter seems to be a child of Yemaya .

It's all connected .....somewhere ...

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

Yeah. I studied with someone for years,but some Wicca practices leave me cold.

This was the only coven I ever joined ,and it was a once a week thing,in a store .

No orgies. That was the coven I wouldn't join .

I also don't find initiation very empowering.

You don't feel any different. It doesn't change the work at all....

I love my wiccan frt for me.

And the friend I speak of,her entire foundation was rooted in the UK .

Her power resonated there she said . Which is how I feel when I'm in New Orleans . I think its big time past life stuff so .

And I'm familiar with seelie and unseelie,but just,no affinity or calling,whatsoever.

She swears it fo real . It's just a brick wall for me .

But I'm she's never had giant golden snakes come to her during rituals . That's me. She doesn't get my thing at all,but oddly ,her daughter seems to be a child of Yemaya .

It's all connected .....somewhere ...

I love the Louisiana traditions I've read about...one of my favorite books is "Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Natural Rituals" by Luisah Teish. She is a very wise lady and I admire her greatly. Her wisdom, gentle humor, and loving relationship with her faith really inspired me.

I'll share one incident related to the fairy faith. Many years ago, I was involved with a boy who turned out to be psychologically abusive. Odd things kept happening to him, but only when he was with me. He would feel something pinch him and would jump up, terrified. He associated these incidents with me; he said he felt as though something was trying to warn him away from me. On Midsummer Eve we went to a concert of medieval and Renaissance period dance music (one of my favorite genres). The concert ended just before sunset, and the drive home brought us through marshland that was dense with brush. All along the road, we kept seeing pairs of different colored points of light--green, blue, purple, soft yellow. Note that they were all pairs of lights, not individual lights. My boyfriend wondered aloud what they were, saying that they frightened him. I, on the other hand, felt a great sense of warmth and love. Then it hit me: They were the fairies that my grandfather had said would always watch over me.

I think perhaps my experiences along these lines are similar to your experiences with the traditions of New Orleans in that I have always felt my affinity for the fairy traditions might be linked to a past life. For as far back as I can remember, I have been intrigued by the folklore of Great Britain. I always hung on my grandparents' words when they spoke of their early years in Ireland and England. It always seemed more real to me than the history of my own native country (the USA). I still dream of moving to Cornwall some day--that's where my grandparents came from.

• Like 2

I love the Louisiana traditions I've read about...one of my favorite books is "Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Natural Rituals" by Luisah Teish. She is a very wise lady and I admire her greatly. Her wisdom, gentle humor, and loving relationship with her faith really inspired me.

O

I'll share one incident related to the fairy faith. Many years ago, I was involved with a boy who turned out to be psychologically abusive. Odd things kept happening to him, but only when he was with me. He would feel something pinch him and would jump up, terrified. He associated these incidents with me; he said he felt as though something was trying to warn him away from me. On Midsummer Eve we went to a concert of medieval and Renaissance period dance music (one of my favorite genres). The concert ended just before sunset, and the drive home brought us through marshland that was dense with brush. All along the road, we kept seeing pairs of different colored points of light--green, blue, purple, soft yellow. Note that they were all pairs of lights, not individual lights. My boyfriend wondered aloud what they were, saying that they frightened him. I, on the other hand, felt a great sense of warmth and love. Then it hit me: They were the fairies that my grandfather had said would always watch over me.

I think perhaps my experiences along these lines are similar to your experiences with the traditions of New Orleans in that I have always felt my affinity for the fairy traditions might be linked to a past life. For as far back as I can remember, I have been intrigued by the folklore of Great Britain. I always hung on my grandparents' words when they spoke of their early years in Ireland and England. It always seemed more real to me than the history of my own native country (the USA). I still dream of moving to Cornwall some day--that's where my grandparents came from.

I wish I had protective faeries when I had my nasty bonfriend . Cool story !

• Like 2

Damn, i wish i'm experienced like you guys, all i saw were some UFO-s :)

This isn't a subject I am normally into but it came up today at my friends house. She thinks that she saw a very small fairy fluttering above her tv screen, it was glowing orange and had wings that were moving rapidly. She came closer to it and discovered it was a spider, coming down from the ceiling on a single thread. This is a friend that I have known for a very long time that I know has seen and experienced other spiritual things. In fact we have experienced some things together so I know that it is possible for "unexplained mysteries" to happen in her home. I have heard recently somewhat about fairies.. I have never seen one however. Just interested if there are any other fairy stories out there....

Is it possible that the other things your friend experienced also had a perfectly natural explanation? I mean, she thought she saw something glowing orange with rapidly moving wings and it turns out to be a spider! :)

Fairies don;t exist other than in fairy stories.

edit....typo :)

Edited by Englishgent

I wish I had protective faeries when I had my nasty bonfriend . Cool story !

lol my ex boyfriend used to get pinched at my house when we were together.. I always thought it was ghosts but maybe it was fairies all along :DD or maybe all these things are related. LOL thanks for sharing, really cool. Oh and once in my room in my youth two green lights came into my room and hovered around, maybe this could have been fairies too, or that light associated with them, I always thought they were orbs.... IM so glad I joined this website, This is awesome stuff!

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I was 2 or 3 i would see them in the house at night. I called them potato people lol, because they were very potato-like in appearance and size lumpy, kinda round and had a bit of a waddle. They would go in and out of rooms looking at things taking stuff or bringing stuff back. My grandma called them "Mr. Nobodies" i think because she couldn't see them but knew they were around. I was telling my mom about them recently and she said they were gremlins. So I looked up gremlins and found that they are a type of fae and are also known as shoemaker elves. The british royal air force at one point even had a manual on how to deal with these creatures as they would often cause problems with the instruments of aircraft.

• Like 2

Well, I don't believe in fairies but I do have a cute and a little strange story.

On one occasion, spending a weekend at the Grampians with my nieces and sister, we visited the local news agency/souvenir store and were checking out some pretty birthday cards for an upcoming birthday of a friend. In that part of the store there were quite a few small black bugs that looked like tiny black butterflies but with very thick, tiny wings. As they flitted past, I couldn't help noticing how their little bodies were so very human like, it was a little surreal. At about this time my niece came over and said "have you noticed these little bugs? Do they look human to you?" It was so like what I was thinking that I was taken aback and said "I was thinking the exact same thing". So we had a laugh about it.

Funnily, this was at least 8 years ago and as recently as April this year she brought it up again and said "do you remember those weird human like bugs at the Grampians?" We still wonder a little and wish we had caught one to look at properly. We did try at the time, a little, but felt rather silly as it was such a public place and we were already drawing attention with our laughter and arms flying about pointing and "surrepticiously" reaching for these things. Also, when we went bush walking we noticed them everywhere and kept thinking the same thing each time we got a better than passing glance as they flitted in front of our faces. No, they were not exactly human looking but it was so close it was a little uncanny and a lot of fun at the time to imagine the possibility of tiny people like creatures with wings, we even wondered if they were intelligent enough to be curious about us as they seemed to gather round us but just enough distance away to flit off if we made any kind of aggressive grabbing moves - as bugs of all description might do anyway thinking in hindsight :P .

I'm sure they are a well known and common species but can't find anything about them specifically on the Net and really wish I had asked some of the locals about them, must remember to do that next time I am there, I wonder if anyone else had the same notions and it is a common question they get asked?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

My very Irish grandfather (was brought to the USA as an infant by his Irish citizen parents) believed in fairies. In fact, when I was eight he told me that I had fairy blood. I'd come home from a walk in the woods and had told my parents and grandparents that I'd heard strange music. My Grandpop said it was fairy music and that I was able to hear it because I was half fairy myself.

For the record, he didn't drink alcohol of any kind (or take drugs), nor did he have a psychiatric problem. He was an educated, articulate, erudite man.

I could share many accounts about the unusual things I've seen over the years, but I don't really want to have strangers coming on here accusing me of being delusional or psychotic because I wrote something that doesn't fit their world view.

I'll say this much: This world is a magical place, if only we have eyes to see it. As Ralph Hodgson said, "Some things have to be believed to be seen."

Can you please tell me more about your experiences?

Edited by Farnella14

First--Welcome to the site, Farnella.

Second--aside from the winged inch-high people, I feel compelled to mention the Scandinavian elves. Generally not visible, or possibly even physically present, but have a thing for disrupting electrical equipment, mechanical malfunctions, and other annoying, but generally not harmful, occurences. I have no personal experience with them, but I've heard stories.

Fairys are real.. But only in spirit world.. I have seen winged things in my flat and then disappear.. Same with orbs I recorded some check out my thread on ghost and hauntings

Fairys are real.. But only in spirit world.. I have seen winged things in my flat and then disappear.. Same with orbs I recorded some check out my thread on ghost and hauntings

Orbs aren't proof of anything except dust.If fairies are real why is there no evidence whatsoever?

Ive never seen a fairy but Ive felt one. I'll share my experience with these.

There was a lady who was doing a lot of spiritual stuff with interdimensional doorways who came to my state and I and probably about 13-18 other lightworkers meet with this person to try to open up a new interdimensional doorway to allow new planetary energies in more readily. This other who used to lead rituals around the world to help shift earth energy by these doorways, This other had 5th Dimensional sight and could see things like fairies (Ive since got to know another who also has this site and can see them).

After we did a ritual re the doorway and its energies, she then guided us to another place out in bushland in which she said was a fairy meeting place and we all sat down and tried to tune in with the faires there (before this incident I didnt know if fairies existed or not but I was willing to keep my mind open about the possibility of it). Anyway.. the energy certainly was different in this so called fairy meeting place she'd guided us to. It was unlike anything I'd felt before. Whenever I shut my eyes I could feel like all this very fast moment going on around us. like movement was in the air all around.. the energy was very light (like what can be felt by those who can feel the elements and can feel "air" energy but with other energy signatures coming into the energy, it made one uplifted).

I can only assume it must of been fairy energy and I may recognise that energy again if I come across such a place again. My clairvoyance thou is quite poor and thou I tried hard, I couldnt see them.

Edited by sea-dove

Belief in faeries are just as stupid as ETs breaking the light barrier and mutilating cattle, Bigfoot, ghost hauntings, the chupicabra, and whatever else the Art Bell crowd believes in. I don't believe in anything without proof or experience and I certainly don't believe in these things, but I feel that many people have waved their right to scoff at the subject when they advocated any of the above without proof or experience.

Edited by Clovis Merovingian
  • Like 1