Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russian team reach lake below Antarctic ice

Saru

It's taken over 20 years but scientists drilling through the ice have finally reached lake Vostok.

Opening a scientific frontier miles under the Antarctic ice, Russian experts drilled down and finally reached the surface of a gigantic freshwater lake, an achievement the mission chief likened to placing a man on the moon.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Interesting, yes. However this sounds like a good premise for a SciFi movie, probably done already, where prehistoric microbes that we have no resitance to, get out in the world.

Edited by paperdyer
  • Like 2

Wow. Hope they find something new down there.

I thaught they done this earlier in the year?

interesting eaither way.

Thanks,

20 millions years of safety for Lake Vostok and here we humans are to pollute it. On one hand, it is fascinating news, but on the other, we are well known for ruining anything in nature that has the unfortunate luck to allow us to find it and get close enough to be a danger. I fear for the worst.

20 millions years of safety for Lake Vostok and here we humans are to pollute it. On one hand, it is fascinating news, but on the other, we are well known for ruining anything in nature that has the unfortunate luck to allow us to find it and get close enough to be a danger. I fear for the worst.

I for one would sure like to know the results when they are done.

Wow. Hope they find something new down there.

Or even better something old :tu:

Then of course they will need something borrowed and something blue for the full-house...

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

Hey, maybe they will find all the UFO's that were supposed to land in London. :passifier:

• Like 2

There is an X-Files episode where they drill down and find some kind of parasite in some ice cores and they all go crazy.

• Like 1

Hey, maybe they will find all the UFO's that were supposed to land in London. :passifier:

No wonder they didn't make the Olympics, the Russians were to slow letting them out...

• Like 1

As long as they don't release The Thing . :w00t:

Anyone care to make a post that is even remotely connected with this Discussion Board?

Science & Technology

Anyone care to make a post that is even remotely connected with this Discussion Board?

Science & Technology

Yes, I will. What happens if they end up releasing very old destructive pathogens that we have no immunity to?

(now go get a cup of coffee and calm down - :D )

Science & Technology

Not really.

After you my learned friend... :tu:

Edited by Junior Chubb

We know about critters that lives around underwater vents which are hostile environments to most life. It will be quite interesting to see how life has evolved to meet the conditions in Lake Vostok. I don't believe we'll find life as it was 20 million years ago but rather that which has evolved from that time.

• Like 1