Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A New Species Of Insect Discovered

Still Waters

One day in May of 2011, Shaun Winterton was looking at pictures of bugs on the Internet when something unusual caught his eye.

It was a close shot of a green lacewing — an insect he knew well — but on its wing was an unfamiliar network of black lines and a few flecks of blue.

Winterton, a senior entomologist at the California Department of Food and Agriculture, has seen a lot of bugs. But he hadn't seen this species before.

"I sent the link to a few colleagues of mine," Winterton told The Picture Show. "They hadn't seen it either. And I realized: This thing's new."

http://www.npr.org/b...vered-on-flickr

Always nice to hear!

I see some that look like these at my house lately, but they dont have the colored wings,this is very cool, i love seeing new bugs.

Cute bug. I read somewhere that the estimated amount of undiscovered species, be it plant or animal is, uh, a lot.

Don't remember what that suggested figure is.

• Like 1

All the lacewings I've seen are like a translucent green color... pretty cool! When we used to live in a part of DFW that had a lot of pollution and factories, I remember I used to find gray and pink bugs, bright blue/green bugs, which may have been their natural coloration, not sure...

Cute bug. I read somewhere that the estimated amount of undiscovered species, be it plant or animal is, uh, a lot.

Don't remember what that suggested figure is.

We discover thousands of new species every year. We definitely haven't found every species on this planet.

• Like 1

Cute bug but I would probably step on it if it were in my house.

New insect species discovered on Flickr

Another IE Bug?

• Like 1

Thats just great another bug creeping around the house eeww. lol only joking. :tu:

Cool! It's a bug with a picture of a bug on it's wings! Or it looks poor that to me anyway... Hehe!

Edited by Lava_Lady