Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA scientists test 4,500mph hypersonic jet

Render

• Scramjet engine can accelerate craft to over Mach 6
  • Could dramatically slash journey times by travelling at five times the speed of sound

It looks like something you’d expect to see launch from Tracy Island.

But this Thunderbirds-style aircraft could be the future of long-haul flights.

The hypersonic X-51A WaveRider belongs to the US military and uses a revolutionary ‘scramjet’ engine to reach 4,500mph within seconds.

ah man, that will be nice

Edited by Render

I don`t want to travel into America in 1 hour . Would be better to travel out in a nano-second .

Update -

The US Air Force has said an attempt to fly its hypersonic jet Waverider at Mach 6 (3,600mph; 5795km/h) failed.

The unmanned aircraft had been designed to fly at six times the speed of sound after being dropped from a B-52 bomber.

But officials said that a faulty control fin prevented it from starting its supersonic-combustion ramjet engine, and the craft was lost

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-19277620

Update -

The US Air Force has said an attempt to fly its hypersonic jet Waverider at Mach 6 (3,600mph; 5795km/h) failed.

The unmanned aircraft had been designed to fly at six times the speed of sound after being dropped from a B-52 bomber.

But officials said that a faulty control fin prevented it from starting its supersonic-combustion ramjet engine, and the craft was lost

Aww.I hope they fix the flaw,But hey what can you do but go back to the drawing board,Testing is the only real way of ding things like this,Better to have it fail with noone in it than with someone in it,Right?

I don`t want to travel into America in 1 hour . Would be better to travel out in a nano-second .

Buh Bye now..... :w00t:

Something does not smell right here. Since when does the military publicly announce they are testing a new aircraft or a new whatever for that matter? History tells us they test these things in secret and only years or decades later do we actually learn about them. This scramjet tech has been talked about for a very long time, I don't believe this is the very first test of it. The military guards its secrets, so whatever is happening here is something other than what we are lead to believe.

Edited by Razer
  • Like 1

Hey Razer Its because they have already made a kmockoff in china. lol :yes: But I do like the way they put in for good uses a missile,go team america F@#k yeah. :gun::tu:

Edited by CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Update -

Oh, so that's what stuck in my backyard.

Can't ever see this used for Airline flights,the cost of an air ticket would be most Expensive.....

Edited by shaddow134

It's quicker to just have Scotty beam you. :yes:

post-103357-0-66019000-1345079058_thumb.

Something does not smell right here. Since when does the military publicly announce they are testing a new aircraft or a new whatever for that matter? History tells us they test these things in secret and only years or decades later do we actually learn about them. This scramjet tech has been talked about for a very long time, I don't believe this is the very first test of it. The military guards its secrets, so whatever is happening here is something other than what we are lead to believe.

they make it public to prevent idiots :wacko: from saying tat they saw UFOs :no: Edited by csspwns

It took roughly a year for the latest mars rover to get to its destination. I wonder what the difference would be had they used this type of propulsion or if it would even work in space

Interesting.

I saw some very fast (blink and you miss it) jets in Whales th e other day.

they make it public to prevent idiots :wacko: from saying tat they saw UFOs :no:

Heh, a lesson learned from the YF-12, SR-71, F-117 et al. If possible, publicize.

Here's the deal with the Government. If we're being told about these tests, or that they are "looking" in to something, they have already achieved it and/or produced it. The intelligence community works in a very systematic manor that never changes. Believe me on this one as being a career military man (recently retired) and a part of the S.O. community, I not only witnessed this but was a part of the intelligence system. :tu:

• Like 1

Didn't it crash into the ocean?

Yep. That was #2 to go into the briny deep. There's only one left and the Air Force isn't sure it wants to commit it to flight quite yet. Can't imagine why. ;)

• 1 month later...

If they used this type of propulsion for Mars space travel, it would take us much much longer to get there. This little jet only acheived Mach 5, where as, out in space these rockets travel 37,000 MPH (Mach 48)!! We got to mars in just under 9 months. This jet would have to travel at a substaining speed of Mach 5 for 56 months before it would reach Mars (almost 5 years)!

Helios 2 Space Probe - Fastest man made object in the world with a Top Speed of 150,000 MPH ( Mach 195 ) If we took this kind of propulsion, we would reach mars just over 1 month. Almost a month and a half. Reason it was so dang fast was because it went to study the Sun, and the suns gravitational pull yanked it right in! Now that is FAST! Instead of it taking us 9 years to get to Pluto, we could be there in just 2.7 years :)