Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ecuador grants Wikileaks founder asylum

ExpandMyMind

No, it isn't.

It has an army of just 24,000 personnel, a navy of just 21 ships and an airforce of just 80 aircraft.

It's no match whatsoever for Great Britain.

The point there is that Ecuador will do whatever they can, within legal means, to make the life of the USA miserable. After all they got some United Fruit issues to settle.

OK, so he's a narcissist, and has other charcter flaws. That does not make him wrong, for the ONLY thing at question here is the obligation of journalism to inform the people. Assuming that the people actually WANT to be informed, which is not entirely evident.

Steve

I'm using standard english, in which warrant can be found in the dictionary. There IS NO WARRANT for Assange, he is merely wanted for questioning in what has all the appearances of a trumped up case of she said--he said. But he hasn't even got to tell his side yet, because the governments are making a mountain out of a mole hill because the government has ulterior motives.

It's really just that simple sir. This is political theater, nothing more. You don't recognize that?

• Like 2

Yes, he is wanted for questioning here in sweden. But saying he haven't gotten to tell his side yet, because the goverments are making a mountain out of a mole hill here? He is wanted for questioning on the issue of some "minor?"(Unsure how certain the "rape" accusations are) sexual offenses, and he goes to seek asylum in Eucador and holds a public speech where he implies for the US to admitt they have a witch hunt for him?

Who is the person making a big charade out of this?

This have been going on for two years now, haven't it? Even if he were to say be guilty of rape, and he had just gone through the swedish law system without conflicting them right away, he would had been out already.

But instead we have someone who tries to run and point fingers around.

OK, so he's a narcissist, and has other charcter flaws. That does not make him wrong, for the ONLY thing at question here is the obligation of journalism to inform the people. Assuming that the people actually WANT to be informed, which is not entirely evident.

Steve

I'm using standard english, in which warrant can be found in the dictionary. There IS NO WARRANT for Assange, he is merely wanted for questioning in what has all the appearances of a trumped up case of she said--he said. But he hasn't even got to tell his side yet, because the governments are making a mountain out of a mole hill because the government has ulterior motives.

It's really just that simple sir. This is political theater, nothing more. You don't recognize that?

if you look in the dictionary warrant (Law) an authorisation issued by a magistrate or other official allowing a constable or other officer to search or seize property, arrest a person.

http://www.interpol.int/

front page

INTERPOL Red Notice for Julian Assange remains in force

LYON, France – INTERPOL confirms that its Red Notice, or international wanted persons alert, issued for WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange at Sweden’s request in November 2010 remains valid.

Confirmation that Mr Assange’s Red Notice status remains in force follows Thursday’s decision by authorities in Ecuador to grant asylum to Mr Assange, two months after he took refuge in its London embassy while fighting extradition from the UK to Sweden where authorities want to question him in connection with alleged sexual offences.

A Red Notice status is a request for any country to identify or locate an individual with a view to their provisional arrest and extradition in accordance with the country’s national laws.

Many of INTERPOL's member countries consider a Red Notice a valid request for provisional arrest, especially if they are linked to the requesting country via a bilateral extradition treaty. In cases where arrests are made based on a Red Notice, these are made by national police officials in INTERPOL member countries.

INTERPOL cannot compel any of its 190 member countries to arrest the subject of a Red Notice. Any individual wanted for arrest should be considered innocent until proven guilty.

edit to add the warrant for his arrest still stands, that is what the court case in the UK was all about, assange said it wasnt legal the court here in the UK found that direct quote;

The issue is whether an
European arrest warrant
("EAW") issued by a
public prosecutor
is a valid Part 1 EAW issued by a "judicial authority" for the purpose and within the meaning of sections 2 and 66 of the Extradition Act 2003.

By a majority the court has concluded that the
Swedish public prosecutor was a "judicial authority"
within the meaning of both the framework decision and the Extradition Act.

It follows that the request for Mr Assange's extradition has been lawfully made and his appeal against extradition is accordingly dismissed.

The supreme court by a majority of five to two (Lady Hale and Lord Mance dissenting) dismisses the appeal and holds that an EAW issued by a public prosecutor is a valid Part 1 warrant issued by a judicial authority within the meaning of section 2(2) and 66 of the 2003 Act.

as you can see a warrant was issued and still is vaild, issued by Sweden. dont know what english dictionary your using.

Edited by stevewinn

It is very weak as are the other South American nations.

Poor armed forces and no nuclear weapons.

if you are so keen on a fight stop selling people crap mobile phones put a uniform on man up and go to afganistan to practice for your rightwing crusade against the world instead of talking about things you know nothing about.

No, it isn't.

It has an army of just 24,000 personnel, a navy of just 21 ships and an airforce of just 80 aircraft.

It's no match whatsoever for Great Britain.

you go and fight them then because 24,000 is more than the taliban have and they seem to be doing just fine at holding our lads and lasses off.

smurf0582, do not waste your time in Right Wing, he is just another armchair General that likes to troll anyone around. Remember, do not fed the trolls.

• Like 3

I think we are playing it just right. Leave him in there and never let him get to Ecuador.

Apparently he has a running machine and internet connection. If he was in prison we would get a whole gym, television and even exercise in the grounds, lol

• Like 1

Every one wants to kill Assange..

But the matter of the fact is he has shown more transparency than Obama.

Sure, there are matters of national security; certain black operations that should never go public.

But simultaneously, I believe that people should have the right to know what their government does.

The United States wants him badly; I cannot say I believe the rape allegations. It's too coincidental.

I hope he makes it to Ecuador.

• Like 1

Every one wants to kill Assange..

But the matter of the fact is he has shown more transparency than Obama.

Sure, there are matters of national security; certain black operations that should never go public.

But simultaneously, I believe that people should have the right to know what their government does.

The United States wants him badly; I cannot say I believe the rape allegations. It's too coincidental.

I hope he makes it to Ecuador.

And Assange seems to not care about national security issues.

He, his organization and the participants are extremely dangerous to the entire world.

Sure, safety measures are in place now, and that will help.

But, in short measure, I would spit in his face. Hope he rots in Hell.

And Assange seems to not care about national security issues.

He, his organization and the participants are extremely dangerous to the entire world.

Sure, safety measures are in place now, and that will help.

But, in short measure, I would spit in his face. Hope he rots in Hell.

Could you die for love? Could you die for peace? Could you die for chaos?

These are all hypotheticals, I know, but let me throw one more at you..

Could you die for truth? It seems like Assange can.

The exposure of the actions of the U.S. by Assange can be construed as unwarranted.

But then again the Iraq invaision can be construed as unwarranted, in hindsight.

The government prefers its secrecy, sure. But so far its secrecy has not led us to a fairly well place.

When a man exposes the crimes of the powerful, the powerful will use the law to make that man guilty.

Because when you have money and power, you are the law. And what is the best way to keep that power?

Shut up anyone who would whistleblow on your illegal actions.

• Like 1

The exposure of the actions of the U.S. by Assange can be construed as unwarranted.

But then again the Iraq invaision can be construed as unwarranted, in hindsight.

The government prefers its secrecy, sure. But so far its secrecy has not led us to a fairly well place.

When a man exposes the crimes of the powerful, the powerful will use the law to make that man guilty.

Because when you have money and power, you are the law. And what is the best way to keep that power?

Assange doesn't know, or care about, the truth. He just spits-out classified information to push buttons.

He's a scum, and needs to be treated as such.

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of what you said here except that I think Assange is no hero, no martyr. If he were then he simply would have surrendered and let the courts be used to make his case. Nope...he's gutless. And I don't care what happens to him but Manning needs to BURN. He was wearing the uniform of his country when he stole those secrets and I don't care if they were brownie recipes. He needs to get the max incarceration for what he did. The next punk who decides he can just do what feels right while he's entrusted with US secrets might think twice with the Manning story as a guide. And IF....IF he had just accepted responsibility and admitted what he did and why - I would actually respect his actions.

Well put Drayno! :tu:

What's really disturbing about this whole thing is how quickly the lynch mob forms. How quickly people come down on the side of deceptive government practices, war-mongering, torture and assassination. Perhaps an over-simplification, but true--with sentiment like that, we certainly have the government we deserve.

Obama's actions as assassin-in-chief, and this fiasco over Assange, make the Nobel Peace Prize rather misplaced. Assange included, he has prosecuted more whistleblowers than Bush ever dreamt about.

When the masses no longer know right from wrong, we are certainly on a slippery slope.

• Like 1

What's really disturbing about this whole thing is how quickly the lynch mob forms. How quickly people come down on the side of deceptive government practices, war-mongering, torture and assassination. Perhaps an over-simplification, but true--with sentiment like that, we certainly have the government we deserve.

Obama's actions as assassin-in-chief, and this fiasco over Assange, make the Nobel Peace Prize rather misplaced. Assange included, he has prosecuted more whistleblowers than Bush ever dreamt about.

When the masses no longer know right from wrong, we are certainly on a slippery slope.

He stands on a balcony and gives a speech on his highly distorted version of reality. One where he ignores the rape allegations, thanks Britains enemies who are playing games by giving him asylum, then tries to give out the impression he is in the right. He then tries to manipulate public opinion by appearing to suiggest he would go to Sweden to answer these charges if the US promises not to extradite him out of the hope it will make the 500 conspiracy nuts below think he's innocent.

Its says something when the only nations that will take him in are those South American nations who have banded together because the so called 'pirate' wont hand over some of its soverign territory to Argentina. British police should storm the embassy and drag that rapist scum out. He can then be deported to Sweden and then the US can have him after that for Wikileaks.

Britain should not be held to ransom by an international criminal or South American nations trying to redraw a map of the world in their favour. The rule of law must be upheld. If Ecuador wants to prevent the rule of law then the US, UK and Sweden should declare war on it.

• Like 1

you go and fight them then because 24,000 is more than the taliban have and they seem to be doing just fine at holding our lads and lasses off.

There's a big difference between a group of cowardly, women-hating, medieval Muslims in Afghanistan who do not do much fighting but instead lay crude, homemade IEDs to butcher our brave soldiers (most of our casualties have been from IEDs) and young girls to prevent them going to school and then go and run and hide than a standing, professional army who will engage in proper combat with our (much more highly-trained and professional and numerous) soldiers.

Ecuador, with her tiny, second-rate military, does not worry Britain, with her large, professional, hi-tech and highly-trained military.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

Whoa... "assassin-in-chief"? Fiasco over Assange?

Your hatred for anything decent is duely noted, Babe.

No he wouldn't he's hiding from Swedish law who have an exemplary record on human rights, now if the extradition warrant had come from Ecuador no way should they have sent him, in short he's a Coward and would use anyone to save his own skin.

• Like 2

He stands on a balcony and gives a speech on his highly distorted version of reality. One where he ignores the rape allegations, thanks Britains enemies who are playing games by giving him asylum, then tries to give out the impression he is in the right. He then tries to manipulate public opinion by appearing to suiggest he would go to Sweden to answer these charges if the US promises not to extradite him out of the hope it will make the 500 conspiracy nuts below think he's innocent.

Its says something when the only nations that will take him in are those South American nations who have banded together because the so called 'pirate' wont hand over some of its soverign territory to Argentina. British police should storm the embassy and drag that rapist scum out. He can then be deported to Sweden and then the US can have him after that for Wikileaks.

Britain should not be held to ransom by an international criminal or South American nations trying to redraw a map of the world in their favour. The rule of law must be upheld. If Ecuador wants to prevent the rule of law then the US, UK and Sweden should declare war on it.

Disgusting comment... absolutely disgusting... <_< You obviously are so arrogant and conceited that you can pre-judge before any evidence is produced.

Just try declaring war on South America, as all SA countries support his asylum request.

Disgusting comment... absolutely disgusting... <_< You obviously are so arrogant and conceited that you can pre-judge before any evidence is produced.

Just try declaring war on South America, as all SA countries support his asylum request.

Well then, Death to South America !!! :passifier:

Okay, okay, drag that scum out for violating his bail and trying to do a runner. In the interests of justice we can't label him rapist scum until the verdict is returned no matter how guilty he appears. Upon a guilty sentence he'll get put on the sex offender wing at prison. He'll get whats coming to him there for being a rapist. I hope he packs plenty of vaseline because he's going to need it lol.

When he reaches the US I hope they treat him as a terrorist. Putting the safety of 1000s of people at risk by leakig their names, careers and even home addesses is out of order. Leaking US diplomat messages to undermine its relationship with other NATO nations is also out of order. On top of this he tries to escape justice. They should let him rot in a cell for 20 years and get him water-boarded.

If the Ecuadorian Government doesnt eject him from the embassy then Ecuador needs punishing. They are playing games with us because Argentina wants the Falkland Islands and they are all united in an alliance. We should take military action on Ecuador and if its allies move to help it threaten them with our nuclear deterrant.

Nasty politics but we can win this easy and get him to Sweden.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Okay, okay, drag that scum out for violating his bail and trying to do a runner. In the interests of justice we can't label him rapist scum until the verdict is returned no matter how guilty he appears. Upon a guilty sentence he'll get put on the sex offender wing at prison. He'll get whats coming to him there for being a rapist. I hope he packs plenty of vaseline because he's going to need it lol.

When he reaches the US I hope they treat him as a terrorist. Putting the safety of 1000s of people at risk by leakig their names, careers and even home addesses is out of order. Leaking US diplomat messages to undermine its relationship with other NATO nations is also out of order. On top of this he tries to escape justice. They should let him rot in a cell for 20 years and get him water-boarded.

If the Ecuadorian Government doesnt eject him from the embassy then Ecuador needs punishing. They are playing games with us because Argentina wants the Falkland Islands and they are all united in an alliance. We should take military action on Ecuador and if its allies move to help it threaten them with our nuclear deterrant.

Nasty politics but we can win this easy and get him to Sweden.

...all the Bolded items: You have clearly judged him on no evidence. You want him tortured on no evidence, and you think that all of this this has to do with the Falklands?? :w00t: ... I seriously am happy that I do not walk in your shoes - for even a second :unsure2:

Edited by keithisco

It's not arrogant and conceited to think someone is guilty if he is blatantly hiding from a judicial system that is known to be fair. And before you say innocent until proven guilty, how can they prove him guilty if he's hiding in London. If I was on a rape charge I'd be getting my name cleared quick smart