Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are Ghosts Mentally Ill?

SSilhouette

this sure is a interesting topic, there is a chance that they have changed alright but we will never know what exactly happens after we leave our life..... i would guess that we will come to a crossroad.... i choose whatever we want and the purest of evil don't have a choice and the suicidal ones..... i think that spirit change on the way where ever they go, some are getting corrupted and become evil while the others seek for help and guidance... i really wouldn't think of spirits that there are spirits who are ill...... maybe they saw torment and ran away, maybe they saw the grim him self and fled away, put your self in their shoes, not able to communicate, to talk, to love and to feel i would say that they are hopeless and need help

some of us have the gift do so, and some try to prevail by doing so

spirits..... what are they exactly? they are the remains in a place where there is no time..... waiting to be judged

you can't say that they are ill nor lack the will..... some of them are controlled and some fade by the uncontrolled

(my philosophy)

no, they are not ill, they have experienced things that we are going to.

not in the spiritual world at least

Edited by Cataclysmic faith
  • Like 1

So "mental" [spiritual] illness does not exist then?

not in the spiritual world at least

Well then why C. Faith do we have thousands of people reporting weeping ghosts at the sights of age old murders and suicides? Is it because they are spiritually healthy?

Mentally ill and mentally challenged are 2 different things.

This is the most offensive topic ever. Just because you're mentally ill does not mean that once you die you'd choose 'not to go into the light' or whatever nonsense YOU believe.

Good grief.

It depends. The concept of Mind is wide. It can refer to a state merely clinic, a psychiatric condition or can be related to the essence of being, as in occultism in which the hermetic dogma says: Everything is mental.

• Like 1

Personally, I find the whole concept of disembodied spirits trapped or stuck between world a little silly, or locked here to do or fix something but they have no power to actually fix what they need to fix. Why are there no ghosts of people who have been buried at sea? If ghosts are left over energy from some horrible event then I should be able to return to Vietnam and find myself haunting a couple of old fire bases.

It happens that, theoretically, they exist: ghosts of people who drowned and could return to the places where they lived, attracted by the energy signature of people who they know (or they knew); ghosts of people who died in combat, in wars and also - even theoretically - spectra that aren't ghosts, but are akashic records, (morphic resonance of the past) that - supposedly, some people may perceive. The last case (morphic resonance of the past, Morphic fields), has been searched by russian scientists, for example - like Genrikh Silanov. LOOK:

campodememoria02.JPG

Photo taken from a shooting during Expedition Hopper / Хопёр, in the Voronezh region (Far-western Russia), in the landfill of Novochopersk ̶ a place that was a line of defense during the so-called Great Patriotic War. It shows Czech Army soldiers of a regiment that was identified. The regiment had, in fact ̶ parked at the site between 1941 and 1942. The Great Patriotic War is the name as was called World War II at european east.

IN The Photographs of an Invisible Reality

http://www.sofadasala.com/english/invisiblereality.htm

Yes, but if it's my energy left over from the day.....then? I mean, will I reabsorb it? Will it confront me? Will it embrace me and move on? Or will we simply cancel each other out in some time continuum thing?

If the ghost, soul, spirit is an energy that leaves the body that dies then, "the Being" - the individual is essentially energy. And, remember - energy is also material, substance - in a particular condition of velocity, in this case, velocity of vibration of the Ego (Self). it send us to other hermetical dogma: All is in vibration. All vibrates.

IF you believe in hauntings. Murders have nothing to do with mental illness unless possibly committed by a serial killer and that would fall under sociopathy. Technically Sociopathy is an antisocial personality disorder as is psychopathy and both are not curable and sometimes debated if they fall under the category of mental illness. BUT serial killing is rarer than you think percentage wise.

As for as deep regrets, since when is that a mental illness? I believe you need to research mental illness a bit further.

Obsessive attachments could fall under the category of OCD or obsessive compulsive disorder and I know of no cases where someone was killed or died from OCD. People who are obsessed with someone and kill them are usually spouses/boyfriend/girlfriend and it is an impulse killing in the heat of a passionate argument. Research murders and serial killers as I have. You will find that an incredibly small amount of people are actually killed by people who are actually mentally ill.

Some suicides but not all could fall under mentally ill. But again, it's not a huge percentage of mentally ill people that go around offing themselves. A lot of suicides are committed by men who have lost their jobs or elderly people who are terminally ill.

Please be a bit more respectful of people who are mentally ill before you lump us all into categories that do not exist and do a bit more research before you do the categorizing. :tu:

Schizophrenia is a mental illness and ... yes, can induce the patient to kill. E. .. sadness, for example, was defined by Sto. Augustine, for example, as a disease of the soul. If you can not define "Alma," Spirit, then you can not dismiss the idea of ​​guilt, regret, sorrow like a kind of disease. About OCD: You have? No, I hope. I have and i can say to you, depending on the manifestation, self-mutilation, for example, a person can, yes - to commit suicide in reason of OCD.

And, for the spirit theory, ghosts and hauntings type obsessors, spirits are sick, mentally disturbed. And - being the Spirit, in essence, Mind, then it is a being disturbed.

Does anyone even know anything about mental illness? IF ghosts exists they would have to have a brain to be mentally ill. Mental illness is about chemical imbalances in the brain. Mental illness is no different than having diabetes or cancer, so by the same logic ghosts would have to have diabetes and/or cancer as well.

Please visit www.nami.org or something.

Mind and brain are not synonymous, nor in terms of academic science.

I never saw a ghost.. nor want to see but... I made a research about them, in portuguese and, here - Brazil - is one of the countries of world where the kardecist spiritism has a huge number of followers maybe, Brasil be the major country of the globe spiritist-kardecist. Here, spiritism is a religion complementary to christianism and essential part of the beliefs of the afro-brazilian religions.

Nowadays, recently, appeared even a line of spiritist movies in which, many films are based on the work of the medium Francisco de Paula Xavier, (Chico Xavier).

But, contrary to that can seems, for some persons - the spiritism is a belief much more ancient that is present in cultures of all the world. All of thiscultures, from the french and brazilian kardecists to the aboriginal of the Oceania; from summerian to tibetans a thing, a belief, remaians the same. The existence of a category of ghosts that are, in deed, disembodied spirits attached to the living world.

The reasons are varied but the foundation is the same: the attachment to the earthly life. These ghosts are unable to leave the past life. They remain attached to people, to things, to habits (addictions). This situation is fed by uncontrolled feelings: anger, yes. But - also - love (sick, selfish), hurt or resentment, the ideia that they need finish something and the more extreme feeling - desire for revenge.

The brazilian spiritist literature talks about spirits with the mind disturbed that (means - the disturbed perception of the self and of the enviroment) to varying degrees. On these, according to the doctrine, a crowd of them remains in the lower zones (places metaphysical) called thresholds (Dark Zones). The thresholds (or Umbrais, in portuguese) are a kind of purgatory. Others remain on Earth or - in the world of the living. Are the hauntings. Among these, obsessors.

In both cases, whether on Earth or in the region of the Threshold, (again according to Spiritism, ok?) - these spirits are eventually rescued or assisted (helped) by other spirits, incarnated (the mediums) or disembodieds. The doctrine refers to relief centers both on earth - places where they are held spiritist seances, as at the Thresholds and yet, after the rescue, at the so called "spiritual cities" or colonies, between them some became famous like: Nosso Lar (Our Home) and Moradia (something like Housing) - for example. However, there are many other Cities like these at the cosmic space around the world but, located at a kind of paralel level of the universe.

At these spiritual colonies - the spirits traumatized by a sudden disembodiment - disturbed by strong negative feelings or even just simply confused by the situation of the post mortem, these spirits are sheltered in spiritual hospitals where they are treated according the the state (of spiritual health) of each one. According spiritist literature, some may stay decades in a catatonic state.

The treatment of these spirits consist in light applications, cool and hot blows (as described also in therapy for living beings in the context of the hermetic medicine), passes (gestures cleaning) and ... the most important - love.

And... finally: if I believe in it? No matter. I would like but here in this forum, in my work, in my life, I'm just a researcher. I believe in God because I have good personal reasons for believe. The rest, I don't know. I think that the rest is what the religions call Mystery.

• Like 1

The reasons are varied but the foundation is the same: the attachment to the earthly life. These ghosts are unable to leave the past life. They remain attached to people, to things, to habits (addictions). This situation is fed by uncontrolled feelings: anger, yes. But - also - love (sick, selfish), hurt or resentment, the ideia that they need finish something and the more extreme feeling - desire for revenge.

The brazilian spiritist literature talks about spirits with the mind disturbed that (means - the disturbed perception of the self and of the enviroment) to varying degrees. On these, according to the doctrine, a crowd of them remains in the lower zones (places metaphysical) called thresholds (Dark Zones). The thresholds (or Umbrais, in portuguese) are a kind of purgatory. Others remain on Earth or - in the world of the living. Are the hauntings. Among these, obsessors.

In both cases, whether on Earth or in the region of the Threshold, (again according to Spiritism, ok?) - these spirits are eventually rescued or assisted (helped) by other spirits, incarnated (the mediums) or disembodieds. The doctrine refers to relief centers both on earth - places where they are held spiritist seances, as at the Thresholds and yet, after the rescue, at the so called "spiritual cities" or colonies, between them some became famous like: Nosso Lar (Our Home) and Moradia (something like Housing) - for example. However, there are many other Cities like these at the cosmic space around the world but, located at a kind of paralel level of the universe.

At these spiritual colonies - the spirits traumatized by a sudden disembodiment - disturbed by strong negative feelings or even just simply confused by the situation of the post mortem, these spirits are sheltered in spiritual hospitals where they are treated according the the state (of spiritual health) of each one. According spiritist literature, some may stay decades in a catatonic state.

The treatment of these spirits consist in light applications, cool and hot blows (as described also in therapy for living beings in the context of the hermetic medicine), passes (gestures cleaning) and ... the most important - love.

Thanks Ligia. Very awesome stuff.

In these understandings, is there mention of using dreaming to aid the trapped or obsessed spirits?

Thanks Ligia. Very awesome stuff.

In these understandings, is there mention of using dreaming to aid the trapped or obsessed spirits?

ABOUT THE RESCUE OF TROUBLED SPIRITS

Specifically in the book Os Mensageiros (the Messengers)*, by spirit André Luiz, psychographed by Chico Xavier. This book describes the of spirits that whose work is rescue those who suffer from disturbances in post mortem and also even those who can't be rescued immediately, but need therapy (exactly as you mention in the proposal of the topic).

* XAVIER, Francisco Cândido. Os Mensageiros pelo espírito de André Luiz. Rio de Janeiro: Federação Espírita Brasileira (FEB), 2010.

The situation of can not be possible be rescued means that the spirit is not able: 1. to be removed from the Threshold region; 2. is not able to be removed from earthly environment (the world or dimension of the incarnetds). The therapy serves - exactly - to prepare these spirits to the rescue.

The goal of the therapy consist mainly, in make them aware of the situation of death of the physical body and the end of the earthly life, that was only one more experience of learning. The work of rescuers is aid these spirits to surpass their traumas and their personal links to earthly things or persons of their past life.

THE RESCUERS

The rescuers can be spirits that are not incarnate (these are free spirits, free of the link with a physical body) or incarnate spirits. These last, the incarnate spirits only can work when they are sleeping by obvious reasons. While the body sleeps, the spirit of an incanate stay in the condition ideal to enter in contact with the invisible reality of the human beings that are not incarnate but are present in the earthly enviroment or nearby, at the called Dark region or Umbral.

The majority of the rescuers spirits do not remember of nothing of that they made during the the sleep, out of body. Is like a sleep without dreams. However, all are subject to feel a certain tiredness upon waking, more or less intense.

For this reason, in long-term - the work of a rescuer can be dangerous for the health of the incarnate individual. Without full rest during sleep, the physical body tends to weaken. A spiritual rescuer must have discipline and health of an athlete. Therefore, it is not uncommon to find mediums who become ill early, even in youth. Their bodies resent the spent of energy that occurs in their spiritual activities.

Chico Xavier, the most famous Brazilian spiritualist medium and known throughout the world was like: A sick man physically. (Alias, let me correct his name - Francisco Candido Xavier) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chico_Xavier

The French occultist Papus (Gerard Anaclet Vincent Encausse) in his book Methodique Traite De La Magie Pratique, the also occultist master Eliphas Levi in Dogme et de la Haute Magie Rituel (Transcendental Magic, its Doctrine and Ritual); and the ukrainian theosophist Helena Petrovna Blavatsky in The Key to Theosophy, for example - they write about this phenomenon: the risk of the practice of spiritualist mediumship and the practice of Goethia (evocation of the dead) for physical and mental health of its practitioners.

My dreaming evolved a few years back to where I was going nightly to infested houses with spirits who are trapped there. My task is to brave confronting them and drawing them out, or driving them off if they are demonic. It's hellish work I can tell you. Working with trapped children is easiest as you would suppose. Adults who were steeped with mental illness in life are very difficult cases. The success level is very low with them. For the last year or two I've not had these dreams. I get the feeling like I was given "time off". And I needed it for sure.

YOUR DREAMS

You tell us that in your dreams you goes to (or see yourself in) houses infested with troubled spirits. Some, seem to be like demonic beings. In fact, the work of the rescuers is made in two ways:

1. aiding the troubled spirits at help stations located at spiritists centers, publicly known or not;

2. going to the places where their presence is needed, as you mentioned, infested houses and other places.

The coordinated action of rescuers is done in groups, at least pairs, ie a trained rescuer never goes alone on a mission. Be alone in a rescue situation is dangerous because the reality in this circumstance presents itself according to the mental state - of the troubled spirit and of the rescuer. A troubled spirit sees and feel according what he (or she) thinks that is happening.

He (or she) - is where thinks that is. Sees, hears, what thinks that still exists or still is happening. The demonic aspect, for example, reflects a demonic state of mind. It is the expression of hatred, anger, malign desires, pains of the body that no more has but thinks that has, painful feelings - for reasons that do not import anymore. It is "maya", ilusion in its full manifestation.

The untrained rescuer can - eventually - not get distinguish what is real from what - in fact - is result of the interaction of his own mind with the mind of the troubled spirit. One of the functions of a rescuer is precisely change the mental state of troubled spirit for he can perceive reality without illusions, without nightmares. It is like wake the spirit.

Occur that, the procedure to wake the troubled spirit doesn't consists in scream, shake him or throw a bucket of cold water on him. Unlike. Calm, self-control, true solidarity - these are the ways, the method. Words of reassurance, concentration on good thoughts, concentration on light emission in green, violet and white are the instruments.

The tone of voice should be soft, almost monotone. Lights are energy-thinking. Green = regeneration. Violet = cure. White = Peace, tranquility. The obsessors spirits or aggressive spirits - for example, they avoid the white light. They retreat in front of this light, they feel afraid of this kind of light.

These last, the incarnate spirits only can work when they are sleeping by obvious reasons. While the body sleeps, the spirit of an incanate stay in the condition ideal to enter in contact with the invisible reality of the human beings that are not incarnate but are present in the earthly enviroment or nearby, at the called Dark region or Umbral.

The majority of the rescuers spirits do not remember of nothing of that they made during the the sleep, out of body. Is like a sleep without dreams. However, all are subject to feel a certain tiredness upon waking, more or less intense.

For this reason, in long-term - the work of a rescuer can be dangerous for the health of the incarnate individual. Without full rest during sleep, the physical body tends to weaken. A spiritual rescuer must have discipline and health of an athlete. Therefore, it is not uncommon to find mediums who become ill early, even in youth. Their bodies resent the spent of energy that occurs in their spiritual activities.

OK, yes, I've experienced that fatigue many many times and have come to realize that long breaks from this type of work are necessary to rejuvenate. Especially if I have to travel long distances to work, as is often the case. I do remember what I did upon waking but only because I've been disciplining myself in lucid dreaming for many decades now. The travel is tiring, the work is tiring and often the spirits can be somewhat or totally parasitic and that also is draining; as is working with mentally ill must surely be in everyday life for physicians and psychologists.

I have come to realize I have help when it comes to a governor of sorts that stops me from these types of dreams when my own energy gets low.

Os Mensageiros (the Messengers)*, by spirit André Luiz, psychographed by Chico Xavier

Now I am anxious to get this book and read it for tips.

RELATED - Brazilian Mediums

Brazilian Mediums Shed Light on Brain Activity During a Trance State

OUTCOME MAGAZINE/MGLOBE - 17/12/2012

http://www.omglobe.com/2012/11/17/brazilian-mediums-shed-light-on-brain-activity-during-a-trance-state/

'Channeling Spirits' Shuts Down Parts Of Brain

When spirits speak through the writing hands of Brazilian mediums,

there is a drop in activity in parts of the brain involved in language and purposeful activity.

DISCOVERY, 16/11/2012

http://news.discovery.com/human/spirituality-brain-function-mediums-121116.html

BOOKS

The Messengers

Chico Xavier/Andre Luiz

IN AMAZON

http://www.amazon.co...z/dp/096499075X

BEST PRICE USED BOOKS

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/8598161284/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=explainamation&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=am1&creativeASIN=8598161284&adid=0MWBTNFRP217QJK33CES&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theseekerbooks.com%2Farticles%2FTheMessengers.htm

********************************************************************************************************************************

SOME BOOKS OF Chico Xavier IN ENGLISH

IN http://www.spirites....emid=68〈=en

********************************************************************************************************************************

NOSSO LAR (Chico Xavier/Andre Luiz)

IN ENGLISH *PDF (FREE)

THE ASTRAL CITY

http://www.geae.inf..../AstralCity.PDF

Edited by Ligia Cabus

Schizophrenia is a mental illness and ... yes, can induce the patient to kill. E. .. sadness, for example, was defined by Sto. Augustine, for example, as a disease of the soul. If you can not define "Alma," Spirit, then you can not dismiss the idea of ​​guilt, regret, sorrow like a kind of disease. About OCD: You have? No, I hope. I have and i can say to you, depending on the manifestation, self-mutilation, for example, a person can, yes - to commit suicide in reason of OCD.

And, for the spirit theory, ghosts and hauntings type obsessors, spirits are sick, mentally disturbed. And - being the Spirit, in essence, Mind, then it is a being disturbed.

You might want to look at the statistics I have already posted.

I do have OCD and yes, I used to self mutilate.

As stated before (more than once) the topic is moot unless a person believes that the mind stays with the body when a person dies.

Also, one would have to believe that there is an afterlife.

Check out the multi quote function too, BTW.

whats that theory for a holographic universe where we are meant to all be on the face of a blackhole or something? if we are already in the black hole and arnt actually alive could ghosts be old data that has been overwritten by new infomation

.. sadness, for example, was defined by Sto. Augustine, for example, as a disease of the soul.

specifically st augustine said

"Art Thou not mighty, God Almighty, so as to heal all the diseases of my soul..."

this is merely poetic license, first of all

secondly, what are the credentials of st augustine in the field of anything at all to do with this topic that we should take his poetic expression as a factual thing?

• Like 1

specifically st augustine said

"Art Thou not mighty, God Almighty, so as to heal all the diseases of my soul..."

this is merely poetic license, first of all

secondly, what are the credentials of st augustine in the field of anything at all to do with this topic that we should take his poetic expression as a factual thing?

saddness of the soul wouldnt be a disease as st augustine believes that the world is in a fallen state and should be mourned at. st augustine is a big character in christianity, prodestants think of him as one of the first reformers of the church.

Edited by Armchair Educated

saddness of the soul wouldnt be a disease as st augustine believes that the world is in a fallen state and should be mourned at. st augustine is a big character in christianity, prodestants think of him as one of the first reformers of the church.

but i'm asking what his credentials are that we should consider his statement a medical/spiritual/scientific fact?

it is being suggested by the poster i quoted that because st augustine referenced it that way that it should be considered as true. i don't agree with that.

mental illness is a physical disorder. i don't argue whether spirits exist, or whether they haunt, or whether they are stuck, or whether they feel confused.

i argue that they cannot possibly have mental illness regardless of any of the other things.

let's say they are haunting a house - maybe they even have issues about it and that's why they are there.

this is not mental illness. coldethyl and i have been trying to make this point from the beginning.

• Like 1

Who cares what this or that person thinks? Regard the facts on their own merits. Thousands of people see ghosts and most of those sightings indicate some sort of obsessive fixation or deep sadness/anger/ etc. the ghost seems to suffer from.
As stated before (more than once) the topic is moot unless a person believes that the mind stays with the body when a person dies.

Also, one would have to believe that there is an afterlife.

coldethyl, people who believe the thousands of accounts of ghost sightings actually believe the spirit is separate from the body. More people than not accept that there is an afterlife. So if you don't accept that or believe it, you are in the minority.

Who cares what this or that person thinks? Regard the facts on their own merits. Thousands of people see ghosts and most of those sightings indicate some sort of obsessive fixation or deep sadness/anger/ etc. the ghost seems to suffer from.

coldethyl, people who believe the thousands of accounts of ghost sightings actually believe the spirit is separate from the body. More people than not accept that there is an afterlife. So if you don't accept that or believe it, you are in the minority.

you seem to care when it suits your argument

i was responding to someone else in any case.

• Like 1

Well what I meant was we don't need someone else's stamp of approval. I have a pet peeve when people look to others for interpretation of what their five senses are telling them, playing the silverback game. I like to imagine we all have an equal share in interpreting reality right in front of our eyes and don't need someone with status to verify that our experiences are real.