Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are Ghosts Mentally Ill?

SSilhouette

21/11/2012 - Mind-Controlled Cursor Quicker to Read User's Mind

http://www.msnbc.msn...d/#.ULGV_6AW738

AND

02/07/20122 - GAIDOS, Susan. Mind-Controlled

http://www.sciencene...Mind-Controlled

... Efforts to develop machines that can be controlled by the human mind began in the 1960s when scientists first put single electrodes into the brains of monkeys to record neural activity. To the researchers’ surprise, they found that some cells in areas that control movement start firing before an animal actually moves. Scientists later discovered that these areas are active because the brain plans movements well before it carries them out.

People whose spinal cords have been damaged so that they can no longer deliver signals to the limbs are still able to produce the necessary planning signals in the brain. It is these signals that the researchers aim to capture and decode, making this science fiction vision a reality.

Yes with silicone impants in the BRAIN, not with telekinesis.

And how is this relevant? This is more derailing than I have in any post.

edited to add the last statement.

Edited by coldethyl

21/11/2012 - Mind-Controlled Cursor Quicker to Read User's Mind

http://www.msnbc.msn...d/#.ULGV_6AW738

AND

02/07/20122 - GAIDOS, Susan. Mind-Controlled

http://www.sciencene...Mind-Controlled

... Efforts to develop machines that can be controlled by the human mind began in the 1960s when scientists first put single electrodes into the brains of monkeys to record neural activity. To the researchers’ surprise, they found that some cells in areas that control movement start firing before an animal actually moves. Scientists later discovered that these areas are active because the brain plans movements well before it carries them out.

People whose spinal cords have been damaged so that they can no longer deliver signals to the limbs are still able to produce the necessary planning signals in the brain. It is these signals that the researchers aim to capture and decode, making this science fiction vision a reality.

And this is from many years ago. Now they can use these signals for robotic limbs. It shows the unlocked powers of the mind.

Yes with silicone impants in the BRAIN, not with telekinesis.

These experiences demonstrate that if the silicone implant is able to transmit the thoughts and these thoughts can act over objects or over the movements of a computer's cursor, then - thoughts are a kind of energy, force. This is only the begining of a new understanding of the nature of the thought.

Please read the definition of telekinesis

Insight on why ghosts and spirits may appear to people...Yes, I think it's very possible that ghosts appear as a sign of guilt. But if they are manifestations of people's guilt, then wouldn't they want to hide from the living, not show themselves to them? I'm not sure about the afterlife, so I wouldn't know if that's why the ghosts didn't move on like the others but it's an interesting theory. But not all the ghosts are originally mentally ill..some of them could be quite normal when they were living. Maybe they became mentally ill after dying.

I think you are projecting and derailing the discussion. No offence. If you could put your personal experiences aside, don't you think this is an interesting discussion? There are people who see ghosts. Not sure if it is real or not. But the question of whether some people don't pass on. Why not? If a ghost had a mental illness or spiritual illness it could create a situation that has them 'echo.' Like they linger, the was a smell or a crying out would linger. The energy they have is more striking. Think if a man is killed and is silent or ifa man is killed and is screaming as he dies. The emotional energy of the screaming man lasts longer. Perhaps the anguish of the person has the same effect.

Bingo Cassea.

The premise is that ghosts and hauntings exist. Without that premise all these discussions are meaningless. Not in any one place ever in this thread have I said or insinuated that people or ghosts with mental illnesses are to be stigmatized in any way, shape or form. And I challenge anyone here to quote me where they say I said this.

What I did say was that many hauntings described often by multiple credible witnesses, sober, sane and with nothing to gain by the reporting, have described hauntings that appear to be manifestations of obsessive people that have passed over and are now "ghost people" instead of flesh people. It makes perfect sense that a personality that remains intact in all other ways would carry with it baggage it had in the flesh. I think of the spirit and the body this way: The body and the brain that controls it are the physical interface that a spirit uses in life to interact with other physical-bound spirits. Once the body is shed [dies], the spirit simply disengages intact and whole and does various things in another dimension we don't fully understand yet.

What does seem obvious though is that many of these ghosts are suffering in ways that perhaps we could help with. And I started this thread with the intent of coming up with ideas and solutions to helping these non-bodied people to move on and let go of ruts, pain and suffering they don't need with them. So far Ligia has given some excellent sources for that quest. Others have too. Let's all take a deep breath and proceed as if this thread is not threatening to anyone or a "hidden put down" to anyone. There are no such things here. As far as mental illness goes, I'm sure we are all touched by it in life at one point or another. This is a very difficult matrix to navigate and there are bound to be wounds, some of them very deep, as we make our way through the thorny gauntlet called "life".

Edited by SSilhouette
  • Like 1

These experiences demonstrate that if the silicone implant is able to transmit the thoughts and these thoughts can act over objects or over the movements of a computer's cursor, then - thoughts are a kind of energy, force. This is only the begining of a new understanding of the nature of the thought.

I can use my mind to control my arm, is that telekinesis? lol
  • Like 1

I can use my mind to control my arm, is that telekinesis? lol

If you really want discuss about telekinesis, would be more apropriate open a topic about it.

And I'm sure that you understand what means for a paralyzed person the possibility to use a computer by transmission of thought with that aid of a chip.

And also is able to understand what means the fact that thought can be transmited in a process that doesn't involve neuronic links in the closed limits of a body. It's evident that the thought in this case acts like a kind of energy that can be projected, acting to distance. A chip can't capture nor transmit to distance something that is intransmissible and still less make this "something" operate on a mechanism that functions powered by electrical impulses.

If you want to talk more about, open a topic. This topic, let's remember and respect, this topic is about the mental condition of spirits.

If you really want discuss about telekinesis, would be more apropriate open a topic about it.

Not really, I was just pointing out how ambiguous your definition of telekinesis is.
  • Like 2

Bingo Cassea.

The premise is that ghosts and hauntings exist. Without that premise all these discussions are meaningless. Not in any one place ever in this thread have I said or insinuated that people or ghosts with mental illnesses are to be stigmatized in any way, shape or form. And I challenge anyone here to quote me where they say I said this.

What I did say was that many hauntings described often by multiple credible witnesses, sober, sane and with nothing to gain by the reporting, have described hauntings that appear to be manifestations of obsessive people that have passed over and are now "ghost people" instead of flesh people. It makes perfect sense that a personality that remains intact in all other ways would carry with it baggage it had in the flesh. I think of the spirit and the body this way: The body and the brain that controls it are the physical interface that a spirit uses in life to interact with other physical-bound spirits. Once the body is shed [dies], the spirit simply disengages intact and whole and does various things in another dimension we don't fully understand yet.

What does seem obvious though is that many of these ghosts are suffering in ways that perhaps we could help with. And I started this thread with the intent of coming up with ideas and solutions to helping these non-bodied people to move on and let go of ruts, pain and suffering they don't need with them. So far Ligia has given some excellent sources for that quest. Others have too. Let's all take a deep breath and proceed as if this thread is not threatening to anyone or a "hidden put down" to anyone. There are no such things here. As far as mental illness goes, I'm sure we are all touched by it in life at one point or another. This is a very difficult matrix to navigate and there are bound to be wounds, some of them very deep, as we make our way through the thorny gauntlet called "life".

No one has to say'stigma' mental illness has its own without being spok. Do not speak of me in third person because I have argued valid points speaking on a msg board as everyone else. Just because you do not like my opposing viewpoint and that I find the topic offensive does not mean I do not belong here. I have tried to educate you and you have refused to listed. You spoke of suicides and I gave you statistics and they were ignored.

The entire first page of this thread you were ridiculed and after my initial shock, I tried to help define mental illness for you because it seems you do not understand it, saying that NDE's could cause it. You know nothing of my life so do not refer to it.

This is not a request, but a demand.

• Like 1

But without a silicone implant inside the brain...nothing.

Even with the implant inside the brain the implanted brain isn't going to move a cup across the room WITHOUT TOUCHING IT.

I'm sorry that we seem to disagree on everything, but this is a moot point.

• Like 1

I think the central trunk of the thread (at least what it seems to have developed into with further discussion) is an interest in whether some ghosts (if you believe in them of course) still linger around because they suffered the strain and devastating consequences of mental illness during their lives and whether the power of those experiences carried on through the process of dying.

Perhaps the OP's meaning was a little muddled with the proposition and it can be interpreted the wrong way. I see that many who have offered thoughts in the thread are well versed in the concept of mental illness, the stigmas, difficulties and various intricacies it entails. Discussing such things in tandem with the muses of the afterlife is not attempting to debase or usher the topic into ignorance nor fantasy. The suffering of those that struggle (I have a lot of experience with it too so I take a deep interest in such things also) is a universal and timeless conflict through life for some so it is interesting to reflect on it regards to death.

Regarding the original question, we are only just understanding the physical symptoms that occur in the brain relating to depressive and stressful events, but the stigma is a little ways towards subsiding now we can see it is no excuse or weakness to suffer mentally, if anything I think it's a natural response to the depths that living deeply can bring. This isn't suggesting those who are fortunate to not experience struggle are inferior, we all just have our own way of dealing with things and our own paths and contexts.

Which also brings up the question of why spirits who are happy apparently exist too, the opposite emotion of positivity and cheerfulness seems to be just as strong, it's a question of emotional energy imo.

Anyone that simply suggests spirits must 'get' mentally ill after death just isn't feasible and an uninformed suggestion. That doesn't mean other avenues of the topic can be so easily dismissed. I personally believe that the physical and spiritual are deeply linked and interact and have intense synergy so certain emotions and shades of colour can go onward with the soul, lifeforce, whatever essence it is that we hold and transcend etc Just some thoughts :)

Edited by DancingCorpse
  • Like 2

I think the central trunk of the thread (at least what it seems to have developed into with further discussion) is an interest in whether some ghosts (if you believe in them of course) still linger around because they suffered the strain and devastating consequences of mental illness during their lives and whether the power of those experiences carried on through the process of dying.

Perhaps the OP's meaning was a little muddled with the proposition and it can be interpreted the wrong way. I see that many who have offered thoughts in the thread are well versed in the concept of mental illness, the stigmas, difficulties and various intricacies it entails. Discussing such things in tandem with the muses of the afterlife is not attempting to debase or usher the topic into ignorance nor fantasy. The suffering of those that struggle (I have a lot of experience with it too so I take a deep interest in such things also) is a universal and timeless conflict through life for some so it is interesting to reflect on it regards to death.

Regarding the original question, we are only just understanding the physical symptoms that occur in the brain relating to depressive and stressful events, but the stigma is a little ways towards subsiding now we can see it is no excuse or weakness to suffer mentally, if anything I think it's a natural response to the depths that living deeply can bring. This isn't suggesting those who are fortunate to not experience struggle are inferior, we all just have our own way of dealing with things and our own paths and contexts.

Which also brings up the question of why spirits who are happy apparently exist too, the opposite emotion of positivity and cheerfulness seems to be just as strong, it's a question of emotional energy imo.

Anyone that simply suggests spirits must 'get' mentally ill after death just isn't feasible and an uninformed suggestion. That doesn't mean other avenues of the topic can be so easily dismissed. I personally believe that the physical and spiritual are deeply linked and interact and have intense synergy so certain emotions and shades of colour can go onward with the soul, lifeforce, whatever essence it is that we hold and transcend etc Just some thoughts :)

Well put. Thank you.

• Like 2

If you believe. I guess it depends on your definition of a soul, the mind-body dichotomy, your faith and/or religion and if you know what the definition of mental illness is. If you think so, then you would also have to believe that someone with cancer would have cancer as well.

Isn't mental illness a perspective and not necessarily a physical condition, I'm not interested in defining the soul only the way we see and label others.

Isn't mental illness a perspective and not necessarily a physical condition, I'm not interested in defining the soul only the way we see and label others.

No. It is an actual condition of the brain. It is no different than having cancer or diabetes.

This is why stigma is attached to it because people have (not saying you, you question is valid) the attitude that mental illness is just 'all in the mind'. In other words, something that people bring on themselves when in fact, it is a disease of the brain.

They don't have definitions in large medical books called the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders for perspectives. :tu:

• Like 1

I do not agree with their opinions, ok. But...

I need to say a thing tou you Coldethyl - and to mr. Rlyeh .... Sorry. What I will write here isn't to justify me but I want you know: I'm sick. Not phisically sick. A sick spirit. I'm a troubled spirit like these that are theme of this topic.

Nobody need to be dead to be a sick spirit. And, nobody is guilty. I'm the unique responsible for all that happens to me nowadays because I made wrong choices along my life. I don't wanna die in this emotional and psychological state because I don't know what exists after this life.

Today, I feel that I should not have ventured me to participate in this forum. I thought it could be a way for be in contact with different people. But I see that I am not ready live together with anyone. No now, still not, maybe - never more in this life.

You had patience with me. I thanks you for this. I also thanks to others members of this forum that made comments that have aided me to see that i'm not ready for the world.

Like any patient, I wanted to can recover me quickly because I'm a warrior but it looks like it will take a while. The wounds in my "being-soul" are still open. I don't get forgive me for has allowed all that happened to me. I opened the door for the enemies.

But you, Saru and Mr. Rlyeh, don't have to suffer my hostility. For all this, excuse-me Coldethyl and through you I ask excuses to all other persons. And before you say me, with all reason... Yes, I'm going to continue psychiatric treatment and I will continue taking my meds. Have a perfect day - Miss Coldethyl.

Edited by Ligia Cabus

No one has to say'stigma' mental illness has its own without being spok. Do not speak of me in third person because I have argued valid points speaking on a msg board as everyone else. Just because you do not like my opposing viewpoint and that I find the topic offensive does not mean I do not belong here. I have tried to educate you and you have refused to listed. You spoke of suicides and I gave you statistics and they were ignored.

The entire first page of this thread you were ridiculed and after my initial shock, I tried to help define mental illness for you because it seems you do not understand it, saying that NDE's could cause it. You know nothing of my life so do not refer to it.

This is not a request, but a demand.

Where were you mentioned? Where was your life mentioned???

Edited by Cassea

Coldethyl, you were not singled out. You were not ridiculed. You are imagining this. And so now I understand. You are welcome to weigh in, as everyone is. Just don't expect the topic to go away merely because it bothers you. If that was the case, most of the topics on this website would go away because frankly, the idea of the paranormal being real bothers probably the majority of people. If you are going to insist and demand you were being singled out, I'm going to demand you provide quotes that prove that.

Moving on..

I'd like to ask Ligia to talk more about your knowledge of those books you provided links for. I'm particularly interested in groups, if any, that assemble of living people to help those ghosts who are mentally ill move on. What techniques do they use? I'm talking about rolling up the sleeves and getting to work kind of stuff.

Coldethyl, you were not singled out. You were not ridiculed. You are imagining this. And so now I understand. You are welcome to weigh in, as everyone is. Just don't expect the topic to go away merely because it bothers you. If that was the case, most of the topics on this website would go away because frankly, the idea of the paranormal being real bothers probably the majority of people. If you are going to insist and demand you were being singled out, I'm going to demand you provide quotes that prove that

I took this statement "Let's all take a deep breath and proceed as if this thread is not threatening to anyone or a "hidden put down" to anyone. There are no such things here. As far as mental illness goes, I'm sure we are all touched by it in life at one point or another. This is a very difficult matrix to navigate and there are bound to be wounds, some of them very deep, as we make our way through the thorny gauntlet called "life". as a referral to me. And the second sentence is just condescending IMO. If it's not obvious, I don't know what is. Doesn't matter anyway I'm tired of giving this thread post hits when you don't address anything I say directly.

The idea of a paranormal being does not bother me. I'd love to see proof of the paranormal.

Where were you mentioned? Where was your life mentioned???

:huh: See above.

I do not agree with their opinions, ok. But...

I need to say a thing tou you Coldethyl - and to mr. Rlyeh .... Sorry. What I will write here isn't to justify me but I want you know: I'm sick. Not phisically sick. A sick spirit. I'm a troubled spirit like these that are theme of this topic.

Nobody need to be dead to be a sick spirit. And, nobody is guilty. I'm the unique responsible for all that happens to me nowadays because I made wrong choices along my life. I don't wanna die in this emotional and psychological state because I don't know what exists after this life.

Today, I feel that I should not have ventured me to participate in this forum. I thought it could be a way for be in contact with different people. But I see that I am not ready live together with anyone. No now, still not, maybe - never more in this life.

You had patience with me. I thanks you for this. I also thanks to others members of this forum that made comments that have aided me to see that i'm not ready for the world.

Like any patient, I wanted to can recover me quickly because I'm a warrior but it looks like it will take a while. The wounds in my "being-soul" are still open. I don't get forgive me for has allowed all that happened to me. I opened the door for the enemies.

But you, Saru and Mr. Rlyeh, don't have to suffer my hostility. For all this, excuse-me Coldethyl and through you I ask excuses to all other persons. And before you say me, with all reason... Yes, I'm going to continue psychiatric treatment and I will continue taking my meds. Have a perfect day - Miss Coldethyl.

It's Ms. but ok what ever.

I took this statement "Let's all take a deep breath and proceed as if this thread is not threatening to anyone or a "hidden put down" to anyone. There are no such things here. As far as mental illness goes, I'm sure we are all touched by it in life at one point or another. This is a very difficult matrix to navigate and there are bound to be wounds, some of them very deep, as we make our way through the thorny gauntlet called "life". as a referral to me. And the second sentence is just condescending IMO. If it's not obvious, I don't know what is. Doesn't matter anyway I'm tired of giving this thread post hits when you don't address anything I say directly.

The idea of a paranormal being does not bother me. I'd love to see proof of the paranormal.

You are really projecting. We all are touched by mental illness in some way or another. We all meaning everyone on the planet. Life is hard. Everyone has had an issue with some sort of mental illness at one point or another, or if not everyone the majority of people. The statement was compassionate and unifying IMO. What is obvious is that you keep trying to talk about yourself instead of the topic. Can we just move on to that?

Here is a website about this topic

http://supernatural.wikia.com/wiki/Ghosts

You are really projecting. We all are touched by mental illness in some way or another. We all meaning everyone on the planet. Life is hard. Everyone has had an issue with some sort of mental illness at one point or another, or if not everyone the majority of people. The statement was compassionate and unifying IMO. What is obvious is that you keep trying to talk about yourself instead of the topic. Can we just move on to that?

Here is a website about this topic

http://supernatural....com/wiki/Ghosts

I only started talking about myself when I was personally attacked.

That post was removed.

I don't agree with your opinion. I have tried to explain various things to the OP and am ignored.

Move on. Yes, sounds about right.

You were never personally attacked. I agree with Cassea here:

What is obvious is that you keep trying to talk about yourself instead of the topic. Can we just move on to that?

Bingo again Cassea, you nailed it.

Am awaiting Ligia's response to the nuts and bolts of incarnates helping troubled souls.

SSilhouette,

I'm not a practitioner of spiritism. I'm only a researcher of occult sciences. All that I know is what I read in some books of spiritism in the context of my researches. For example, I never went in a spiritist session. I say you why: I have afraid of this practice. In my first post in this topic I said that I never saw a ghost in my teen or adult age, and I think, God knows what he does because I'm sure that if meet a ghost, see a one, I will die in the same instant heart attack, of scare.

In function of my psychatric problem, to know, OCD skin-picking since 8 years old, many persons, relatives, advised me - many times, search a explanation in the Spiritism. These are persons believe that, persons like me has a spiritual problem like an obcessor, for example.

I'm writing, among other things, a serie of articles about post mortem because I want know about what happens after this life. In true, I feel necessity to know more because I never felt comfortable or adapted to life.

One of this articles will be about the post mortem according the Spiritism. I have ready and published in portuguese: post mortem in the Bardo Thodol (tibetan buddhism), in the Theosophy, in the christian tradition according The Divine Comedy of D. Aliguieri. The Spiritist conception is the next.

I never felt comfortable or adapted to life. I remember when I was a small child, I had hope of that - closing my eyes - I could go back, back to a place. I wouldn't know what place was, but was a place of where I would thought - I had come from.

I also wrote about ghosts in condition of troubled spirits and kinds of souls that I call The Races of Spirits, that are five in Tibetan buddhism.

Then, all that I know about the spiritists rescuers is what I have read in books like I quoted to you that I consult for compose the next text. As researcher, I try to write without personal involvement.

When I read the text of your topic I perceived immediately that your experience was something very similar to the of the rescuers in the book The Messengers, that is not a fictional book, but a book that is presented as a psychographed text - which proposes inform about real situations. It is one of the fundamental books in the bibliography of my research.

ABOUT GROUPS: Well, this session of the Forum includes stories and strange experiences, then - lets go there. I will talk you about a strange experience...

I never made part of any group, of any kind. Nothing. Only my rock band and the actors of theater during the time in which I worked as an actress in my city, and even then, after the show, I call a taxi to go back to home, dining alone. I born in a strange family and I grew in a closed circle.

When, for some circunstancial reason I say this to someone, the person usually says: This is sad thing. It may be but this was my destiny. Each one has its life. After many years of living almost in a kind of false imprisonment, always accompanied by my mother or my older sister, I simply accepted it.

I studied in the university in the same way. From home to campus. From campus to home. I didn't get, you know... have real relations with teachers and colleagues. My lucky was that, this strange family, that I still love so much, allowed me study and, later, with 14 years, begin to work because they perceived that i had a singular talent... to earn money with as advocate, as writer and with art.

Today, after my mother died there 8 years, I resolved stay far from my sister. Thus, I Ieft the family home, have an apartment but I still live in almost complete isolation and do not think I can learn to live with friends and begin a normal life. It is too late. I'm an old monkey now. I'm afraid, yes - of ghosts, but I have very afraid of people alive too.

When I joined this forum this was an attempt, the first and, I think - the last - to establish contact with the outside world beyond the bench, sound's studio, visits to my psychiatrist and supermaket. And this was the first and the last time that i talked about this in this forum, ok?

AND ... I do not regret nothing of this - because to realize my dreams, I found ways, windows, I did learn to fight without kill and without leave to love and I became a strong warrior. ROCK IT!

Edited by Ligia Cabus
  • Like 1