Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Secret life of modern-day witches

Still Waters

Most likely a coon. They can give you the creepies, I can kind of pick up on them when they are watching me. . I heard one when I got home, I was glad the cat was in. The only thing that scares me anymore are humans. There is a woman in our circle who is scared of everything in the woods. That is tough for a Pagan. She was worried about this big frog croaking. She thought it was a gator. Of course I didn't help her much when I said "Now that sounds like a big one."

No,we have opposum ,but not even pointy teeth would bug me. Had them back there with me a few times.This felt ominous .

I don't spook easily .

It was odd .

Most likely a coon. They can give you the creepies, I can kind of pick up on them when they are watching me. . I heard one when I got home, I was glad the cat was in. The only thing that scares me anymore are humans. There is a woman in our circle who is scared of everything in the woods. That is tough for a Pagan. She was worried about this big frog croaking. She thought it was a gator. Of course I didn't help her much when I said "Now that sounds like a big one."

You are so mean, but that is really funny. Thank you for making my morning coffee a little bit gigglier.

Why Are Witches Always Associated With The Color Black?! Aren't Witches Cool With Nature And Should Therefore Wear Colorful Clothes??

Why Are Witches Always Associated With The Color Black?! Aren't Witches Cool With Nature And Should Therefore Wear Colorful Clothes??

Well I actually wear black all the time,but that's from the whole lower east side of Manhattan thing. From way back .

Unless you're a hipster going to school at NYU ,and you hang out on the lower east side,all you wear is black .

I have a few colored tee shirts,and a few red and gold dresses,otherwise,my,entire wardrobe is black,except my work clothes .

Most witches I know,don't wear black actually .

The witches and Pagans in my community dress like hippies for the most apart. The women wear colorful long gauze skirts and t shirt or tank tops. The men in jeans and T shirts. (This is Florida) Ritual wear is usually depends on the coven or circle and how formal you want to be. Cloaks, robes, vestments, slacks, skirts or nothing at all. Color in ritual can be important. When calling in the quarters; green or brown for north, yellow for east red for south, blue for west. Of course different traditions use different colors. Color in ritual can also be related to seasons too. A coven or circle ritual in full regalia can be a very beautiful and colorful. Gardenian Wiccans mostly ritual in the nude. That needs some getting use to. Not all naked people are equal. :unsure2:

The witches and Pagans in my community dress like hippies for the most apart. The women wear colorful long gauze skirts and t shirt or tank tops. The men in jeans and T shirts. (This is Florida) Ritual wear is usually depends on the coven or circle and how formal you want to be. Cloaks, robes, vestments, slacks, skirts or nothing at all. Color in ritual can be important. When calling in the quarters; green or brown for north, yellow for east red for south, blue for west. Of course different traditions use different colors. Color in ritual can also be related to seasons too. A coven or circle ritual in full regalia can be a very beautiful and colorful. Gardenian Wiccans mostly ritual in the nude. That needs some getting use to. Not all naked people are equal. :unsure2:

Colors are very important in voodoo and Santeria .

If you are doing certain deity worship,or calling down the deity ,you must have kn the proper colors ,or they will not answer your request.

In Palo Mayombe ,they will actually attack you,if you have on improper colors,and women can not be menstruating

So I have other clothes....but I do not wear them socially ,ever.

Obatala is pure white. Sometimes you will see island types in all white. The women usually also wear white turban .I see it a lot in nyc,especially in the outer boroughs ,you know who their patron is when you see that .

Also in orthodox Judaism,I believe sometimes the men wear all white on certain days,but I don't know the origins or details why .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

My Pagan minister follows as Yuruba path, so I know about the Orishas. I don't know how he got into it. Odd path for a southern white guy, but it works for him. You are into Palo, tell me more if you can. How did you get into that? Santeria is really common around here, we have a lot of people from the Caribbean.

i tried wicca, but just didnt feel it. i guess i didnt like the rituals. i consider myself pagan.

• Like 1

I know what you mean about Wicca, too much dogma. Paganism for X Catholics. I still like getting together with other Pagans for rituals. My group is eclectic and come from different paths. Our rituals reflect that. The rituals I do are usually Bardic circles where we share art, poetry and song.

• Like 2

Pagans are some of my favorite people. I'm good friends with a local priestess running a shop. She has me teach a class once a year for her group. ( shamanic journey/astral projection). Such open and loveing people.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 3

Pagans are some of my favorite people. I'm good friends with a local priestess running a shop. She has me teach a class once a year for her group. ( shamanic journey/astral projection). Such open and loveing people.

My mom was a very simple Italian girl from queens. She ended up with me. My friends range from rockstars to punk rockers to witches and transgender people....

Trapeze artists and martial artists .Herbalists and reiki masters...

My mom was always ... oh my...

However,one time,she said to me ,"you know,people may say all your friends are odd ,but they are the nicest people".

Generally,people who follow the beat of their own drum,have no time to be pretentious ,and are just honest about who and what they are.

People who strive to conform ,are always wearing a mask,and tend to be liars.

Just my experience .

• Like 1

My Pagan minister follows as Yuruba path, so I know about the Orishas. I don't know how he got into it. Odd path for a southern white guy, but it works for him. You are into Palo, tell me more if you can. How did you get into that? Santeria is really common around here, we have a lot of people from the Caribbean.

Google Sallie Ann Glassman.

White Jewish woman from Maine. She's one of the bigger voodou priestesses is new Orleans ,at this time. She just opened a wellness center for the community . I want to go do acupuncture there.

You never know why someone ends up on the path.

In reality ,Palo is very similiar to Santeria . It's considered a dark version of it.

There are many kinds as well .Mayombe,Monte ....some of those,are darker than others as well.

I personally steer clear of Palo Monte .

Palo,has certain aspects,that can be considered a bit...dicey ?

Mainly the cauldron .

To properly call zarabanda,you must have a proper cauldron .

A cauldron is an actual cauldron ,with very specific items inside of it .

When you read about weird people with human bones in their garage,in NJ,I guarantee Its a practitioner of palo .

A lot of em in NJ. Its a lot of items .

I have a mini cauldron,and anything organic required,I have plastic miniatures of ,that tend to be more available around Halloween.

Its symbolic ,so Zarabanda should be fine with it.Thats how I look at it .

Palo also involves a lot of spirit input .

Much more than santeria .

The dieties correlate to santeria orishas to a degree so...

Did you want to know something specific ?

Not a lot of books on it,but there are.

• Like 1

When I was visiting Georgia with a friend I went by this place that was like a Cauldrons R Us. Cauldrons of every size. They had some huge ones. If I had had my van or the room in my friends car I would have had one of those big bad babies. Some them you could have used for a hot tub. Maybe someday I can go back and get one. I'll just have to find somebody to drive in the mountains, I can't drive in mountains, I get sick big time.

You know what happens with a witch loses her faith, she holds a yard sale. You really end up collecting a lot of stuff. I have a sword but much of it I get from the dollar store or make myself. My candles are the only thing I am fussy about. I do candle magic so I want one that burns down complete. In my mind the moment the candle goes out on its own the spell is cast.

I don't use Gods in my magic, I find they are more trouble than they are worth. The greatest power in magic is yourself. As Above, So Below. ;)

• Like 1

Just adding in.Ya'll are a treat to read. :tu: .My oldest daughter is a Pagan.(and a member here).

Sorry,nothing else to add :blush: ,but the more ya'll talk,the more I'm learning.

• Like 4

I've dabbled with paganism / witchcraft in the past, but at the time I was in a group of unstable characters so it wasn't a very positive experience.

Lately though, I've been having the urge to return to some version of it... though it would likely be some blend including buddhism and rather improvised on what works for me. It's mostly about rebuilding a connection to nature and energy that I feel is missing, leaving quite a big hole in my life.

Edited by karmakazi
  • Like 1

When I was visiting Georgia with a friend I went by this place that was like a Cauldrons R Us. Cauldrons of every size. They had some huge ones. If I had had my van or the room in my friends car I would have had one of those big bad babies. Some them you could have used for a hot tub. Maybe someday I can go back and get one. I'll just have to find somebody to drive in the mountains, I can't drive in mountains, I get sick big time.

You know what happens with a witch loses her faith, she holds a yard sale. You really end up collecting a lot of stuff. I have a sword but much of it I get from the dollar store or make myself. My candles are the only thing I am fussy about. I do candle magic so I want one that burns down complete. In my mind the moment the candle goes out on its own the spell is cast.

I don't use Gods in my magic, I find they are more trouble than they are worth. The greatest power in magic is yourself. As Above, So Below. ;)

I want a cauldron. I always wanted to make huge batch of stew for like 100 people.

What state are you in ? You can order a cauldron on line,and just have it delivered .

I have two very tiny ones . One is dedicated to Ogun,and one is my Palo prende .

I got them both at Originals Products ,in the Bronx. They carry cauldrons ,and do mail order .

I've dabbled with paganism / witchcraft in the past, but at the time I was in a group of unstable characters so it wasn't a very positive experience.

Lately though, I've been having the urge to return to some version of it... though it would likely be some blend including buddhism and rather improvised on what works for me. It's mostly about rebuilding a connection to nature and energy that I feel is missing, leaving quite a big hole in my life.

Being with the wrong group ,and ruin any spiritual endeavor . Go solo ,and feel it out for yourself .

Having guidance always helps though . Maybe we should make a pagan thread ,for just asking questions in regard to pagan ritual and so forth.

People interested could get a few view points,and do what feels comfortable ?

In any case,my suggestion would be to read Lady Rheas book ,and try a spell .

You can modify them to your taste or need,and she touches on Buddhist,wiccan,and even Santeria workings .

It's a candle magick book .

The very first printing of this book ,which was very different that this incarnation ,was the book that influenced me the most ,when I started ,and its what I come back to ,when I just want something direct and powerful .

You can find it cheaper on amazon I think .

The Enchanted Candle,by Lady Rhea .

I also suggest you just start reading about what calls to you .

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Enchanted-Candle/Lady-Rhea/9780806525785

Being with the wrong group ,and ruin any spiritual endeavor . Go solo ,and feel it out for yourself .

Having guidance always helps though . Maybe we should make a pagan thread ,for just asking questions in regard to pagan ritual and so forth.

People interested could get a few view points,and do what feels comfortable ?

In any case,my suggestion would be to read Lady Rheas book ,and try a spell .

You can modify them to your taste or need,and she touches on Buddhist,wiccan,and even Santeria workings .

It's a candle magick book .

The very first printing of this book ,which was very different that this incarnation ,was the book that influenced me the most ,when I started ,and its what I come back to ,when I just want something direct and powerful .

You can find it cheaper on amazon I think .

The Enchanted Candle,by Lady Rhea .

I also suggest you just start reading about what calls to you .

http://www.booksamil...a/9780806525785

I think having a thread for it would be a good idea. I'm sure many people who come here (incl. lurkers) have questions about the various practices and concepts. I'm always interested in learning more about any spiritual /religious practice just for the enjoyment of learning.

• Like 3

I'd like to eventually have a large iron cauldron for cooking. Usually you can find some better deals on them sourcing them through camping or cookware makers. Right now we just settle for using the brew kettle for when we want to make a big batch of something. It's huge, and has it's own cooking ring for it. I think originally it was sold as a crawdad/seafood boiler for large parties.

Eventually I want to do a barrel drum smoker and a large grate top grill too. We built a large firepit down by the pond, and I would love to use it for party sized cooking. We do use it for celebrating now.

And I totally agree with Simbi that being with the wrong crowd screws up any spiritual thing. It's the exact same thing as visiting a few churches before settling into a congregation that you like to worship with. When you aren't with the right people to mesh with, things are just not right. I've had several uncomfortable or awkward moments with other practitioners. Fortunately I've had a lot of good moments too.

• Like 1

I think having a thread for it would be a good idea. I'm sure many people who come here (incl. lurkers) have questions about the various practices and concepts. I'm always interested in learning more about any spiritual /religious practice just for the enjoyment of learning.

OK,I will start a thread for pagans ....

Anyone who practices can contribute,however,if there are questionable responses ,one must proceed with caution .

Everyone on this thread is on the same page,even if we use different methods,but we are not aware of all the practitioners on here,so we musti tread lightly .

We also do not want novices making bad mistakes,but I have found,that people in more suburban areas,have no access to training,at all.

No mentors to talk to for guidance ,so this can be a learning tool .

What should we call the thread ?

How about Magick 101

And I'm not sure how much other people will want to contribute ,so ....if its just me ,I will try to do my best ,but my practices are ecclectic,and I do not adhere to all wiccan canon ,but I know most of it from my own early learnings .