Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When is capital punishment is justified?

jacobstiles

How can we know if capital punishment is right or wrong? Where do we draw the line?

Feel free to voice your opinion.

• Like 2

I say that too... but if one day some vicious killer murder my mum no doubt i demand a life for a life

It's simply perspective

• Like 2

For murdering a complete stranger, i guess not. But ending the life of let's say a dearest family member,

i guess a death penalty would be an easy way out for the killer.

It's very selfish, but this is also why a lot of people can't draw a line to it

Edited by jacobstiles
  • Like 1

For mysel, I have a hard time with the idea of execution.

I heard somewhere that capital punishment can actually be more expensive than life in prison, depending upon mutiple appeals.

Not sure how true that is.

Anyway, I think that being in prison for life is a far greater punishment. I've watched a lot of real-life inside prison documentaries and it's horrible.

• Like 1

It is a difficult question; I concede that. However...

It's an unfortunate reality that there are some very, very bad people in the world. I believe that evil exists, and that it resides in some human beings. I do not accept "insanity" as a defense for heinous crimes such as murder. I often hear people say "He must be crazy; no sane person would murder a stranger" and similar remarks. I disagree. An evil person commits murder, and I believe that such people cannot be rehabilitated, so execution is acceptable in such an instance.

Perhaps my point of view is colored by certain life experiences. I can see where it might be.

Edited by lizzieboo
  • Like 1

Once it's their choice. Same with the disabled and the elderly. People should have the right to end their own life. Same with criminals.

• Like 1

If I were to be in prison for 20 years, I might actually prefer the death penalty.

I don't like how some lawyers protect their clients by admitting insanity. You need a psychiatrist to diagnose that, not the jury. However, for those that are truly mentally ill, the death penalty is definitely a cruel punishment. Schizophrenics have auditory hallucinations and a mentally retarded individual could kill out of pure accident. If mentally ill people do kill someone, they usually probably didn't even mean to.

I agree with your first statement in this thread, if murder is illegal then the state cannot conscionably kill a person as punishment.

Most criminals who have killed will never see the world the same as the majority of society again, once that line is crossed imo it removes the "taboo" permanently for most of them and they are conceivably permanently insane by socially acceptable standards.

• Like 1

I wish some would redefine "insanity"; however, it has become known to be someone with a psychopathological disorder. What I don't get is that, in legal cases, personality disorders are not considered insanity. Someone could have killed as a totally different persona, but that doesn't count in court.

How would they become insane?

Don't know about the US, but here and in the UK the definition of insanity is a legal one, not a medical diagnosis. Very simply, the defence must show that the perpetrator was impaired to a degree that they didn't know what they were doing was wrong. An example of this would be if someone suffered a psychotic disorder and believed they were attacking a demon or alien etc...

It doesn't include any disorders of personality.

If it's justified at all, I think it should be used mainly for mass murderers, serial killers, war criminals and people like that.

• Like 1

I believe murderers must be shunned from society forever. If there is ZERO chance they will ever leave a prison cell then I can accept doing away with capital punishment.

• Like 2

I wish some would redefine "insanity"; however, it has become known to be someone with a psychopathological disorder. What I don't get is that, in legal cases, personality disorders are not considered insanity. Someone could have killed as a totally different persona, but that doesn't count in court.

How would they become insane?

I'm not sure if that is a rhetorical question but in my mind when a person can diminish the value of another's life to the point they feel they have some "justification" for taking it then they have entered into a mindset that cannot be logical or sane.

Edit to add: if the taking of the life is to fulfill a desire or for "personal gratification" then that also supports the notion.

Of course, there is the "high functioning" psychos like the Batman Killer who can act rationally to collect all they need and plan their actions lucidly for months all for an entirely insane purpose.

Edited by libstaK

I agree with your first statement in this thread, if murder is illegal then the state cannot conscionably kill a person as punishment.

Why not? Capital punishment isn't murder.

BTW murder by definition is illegal.

• Like 1

I think if more people saw what people did to other people they would be for capital punishment.

Here's an example of a girl tortured for 44 days, and her killers only served jail time and are free.

This is where an eye for an eye should apply. This could very easily be anyones daughter, and I have three.

http://blog.makmoden.com/?p=677

• Like 2

I have no problem against capital punishment, those who are poison to society could be dragged off to a dungeon and disemboweled for all I care. They are utterly worthless as a human being and a member of society.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

How can we know if capital punishment is right or wrong? Where do we draw the line?

Personally, I think capital punishment should be reserved for crimes against humanity.

• Like 1

since I am from the U.S., I have never really questioned it, although it recent years we have had all these cases where persons who were convicted later turned out to be innocent. In general, the people who get railroaded like this are poor, working class or lower class, members of minority groups--the type of people who can't afford much in the way of a legal defense. There is a bias by social class and color in the U.S. legal system and society as a whole, which is well known to anyone who looks at the history and present-day realities. If they can face the truth, that is, but many people simply cannot.

For that reason, I have no doubts about the death penalty, but not that there are a number of killers in society who should be executed. Even if they are sentenced to death and not executed, they will usually never get out of prison, for there is no parole or time off for good behavior with a death sentence. They just spend the rest of their lives on death row, with no possibility of ever getting out.

In the vast majority of cases in the U.S., the execution is not carried out, at least not for many years, so I'm convinced that the death penalty here mostly operates like a sentence of life imprisonment.

Certainly Charles Manson should have been executed instead of being on the state budget for 40plus years.

• Like 4

I believe some people should be made to suffer. Serial killers, spree killers, child molesters, and serial rapists should be hurt for what they've done.

I think they should rot in a Spannish Inquisiotion style dungeon that doesnt know the meaning of human rights. Or give them to the families of the victims of their crimes, let them decide

Oh, and of course burglars should be beaten to death on sight of you find them in your house

• Like 2

I believe some people should be made to suffer. Serial killers, spree killers, child molesters, and serial rapists should be hurt for what they've done.

I think they should rot in a Spannish Inquisiotion style dungeon that doesnt know the meaning of human rights. Or give them to the families of the victims of their crimes, let them decide

Oh, and of course burglars should be beaten to death on sight of you find them in your house

I just don't think its fair for them to put me at risk for possibly getting a capitol punishment charge by releasing these types of people back into my neighborhood because I'd have to seriously do some harm to anyone who molested my child and in my opinion it would be totally just and right for me to do so. So not only are they putting my children and everyone else's kids in arms way, they are putting the parents of the children in bad situation. In my opinion the government should be held criminally responsible for putting these people back on the street.

If there was such a thing as the perfect judicial system, I could be swayed to the pro-capital side (in certain cases).

I don't believe the justice system should be punitive. I believe its purpose should be to prevent crime. If someone murders someone and is likely to do it again, they should be kept away from society by whatever means necessary -- and least expensive -- whether that is lifetime imprisonment or death.

• Like 2

Rape, molestation, murder of an adult, or child (if it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt, or if there is a confession) = capital punishment.

• Like 1

The punishment should fit the crime.

If you steal someones possessions the state should come around and steals yours.

If you hit someone the state hits you.

If you commit GBH the state breaks your arms and legs.

If you rape someone the state cuts your balls off.

If you murder someone then you get punished with torture then executed.

Human rights should not apply to those that dont respect others human rights.

Edited by Mr Right Wing
  • Like 1